British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Aug 13th 2016 4:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12025881)
That sounds very encouraging. We'll see.

But it really isn't up to Britain. It's up to the EU membership. Well, as soon as Article 50 is invoked, pretty much everything is.

It is not up to the EU membership. The USA, Australia and Canada, to name a few who have equivalence, are not in the EU. Or do you mean it is up to the EU member states to decide? Either way you are wrong because it is EU law. UK institutions will apply to the pan-EU regulator ESMA for recognition…under reference to the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR) passed in 2012.

amideislas Aug 13th 2016 5:48 pm

OK here you go:

Little known EU rule could stop London bank exodus

"From what I can tell, there's great will within the financial services community to have access to the single market, and there's a reason for renewed interest in the third country regime and how the U.K. will interact (with the EU)," Johnstone said.

But an air of uncertainty may be enough to drive key financial services away.

Research published by J.P.Morgan on July 1 suggests a Brexit scenario where there will be "clear evidence of multinational operations shifting the locations of their activity out of the U.K. given the regulatory uncertainties."

"Financial services are among the sectors that will be most exposed to this process," the note explained.
"Even if the U.K. begins to signal that it will compromise on other priorities in order to secure 'full' access to the single market in financial services, there is a clear risk that euro-denominated activities relocate to within the EU simply to ensure continuity of relationships," the note also stated.
So, you'd better let these major banks know they don't need to be in the EU anymore. Or London or the UK, for that matter.

US Banks Preparing to Relocate After Brexit (GS,BAM)

Brexit: US banking giants may go on European bank acquisition spree

TGA Aug 13th 2016 6:54 pm

It's sometimes seems like amideislas hates the UK. I'm sure that's not the case though 😏

amideislas Aug 13th 2016 7:10 pm

Nope, I don't hate the UK. I just love irony. Britain just happens to be a great source of it. Brexit ramped up the irony factor by orders of magnitude. It's an endless source now. Truly Addictive.

TGA Aug 13th 2016 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12026060)
Nope, I don't hate the UK. I just love irony. Britain just happens to be a great source of it. Brexit ramped up the irony factor by orders of magnitude. It's an endless source now. Truly Addictive.

By irony you really mean democracy. Even in the corrupt world of politics today the people still hold the balance of power in Britain. Who's turns out to be right or wrong on brexit will be evident over the next 5 years or so but the resolve of the people to mobilise and take action is something to be admired.

amideislas Aug 13th 2016 9:06 pm

That's great. As long as it's something tangible.

Unfortunately, virtually everything voters were "democratically" sold on the brexit issue were red herrings, having little or nothing to with the EU, and as a practical matter, have no chance of "solving" whatever they believed they voted for, or will incubate equally or even worse side effects.

And as the truth emerges, it's not going to go down well. At least not in any "Democratic" sense. So you can add long term political turmoil to the mix in addition to the economic issues.

Again, although I feel it's too late and a few pounds short, but reversing this is by far the easiest way to prevent the imminent turmoil and marginalisation of Britain.

Yet I'm not convinced Europe will be inclined to welcome the UK back. At least not on the same exceptional terms. And I don't think that's good for either party for the long term. Britain made its choice. Now it needs to go. Regardless of the consequences. It's not Europe's problem. It's Britain's.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 13th 2016 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12026069)
By irony you really mean democracy. Even in the corrupt world of politics today the people still hold the balance of power in Britain. Who's turns out to be right or wrong on brexit will be evident over the next 5 years or so but the resolve of the people to mobilise and take action is something to be admired.

:goodpost:

So very true. :nod:

Vexcore Aug 13th 2016 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12026116)
That's great. As long as it's something tangible.

Unfortunately, virtually everything voters were "democratically" sold on the brexit issue were red herrings, having little or nothing to with the EU, and as a practical matter, have no chance of "solving" whatever they believed they voted for, or will incubate equally or even worse side effects.

And as the truth emerges, it's not going to go down well. At least not in any "Democratic" sense. So you can add long term political turmoil to the mix in addition to the economic issues.

Again, although I feel it's too late and a few pounds short, but reversing this is by far the easiest way to prevent the imminent turmoil and marginalisation of Britain.

Yet I'm not convinced Europe will be inclined to welcome the UK back. At least not on the same exceptional terms. And I don't think that's good for either party for the long term. Britain made its choice. Now it needs to go. Regardless of the consequences. It's not Europe's problem. It's Britain's.

And we'll be fine in the end.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 13th 2016 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12026060)

If you headlined every post, "I hate the UK and I'm desperate for Brexit to fail", I don't suppose you could make your POV much clearer Ami. ;)

While Cameron totally chickened out of the issue relying on his fearmongering campaign and belief that he had no need to make any preparations for a Brexit,
(a shocking neglect of duty by the way), it's been very heartening to see the newly formed govt getting a grip on the situation and determinedly begin to move forward on all possible fronts. :thumbup:

Anyway it's nice to see Cameron finally get his priorities right and concentrate his mind on dishing out gongs to all his cronies and pals who failed him so miserably. :cool:

I wonder if the EU will reward him for his loyalty ?
I mean if a cack handed drunken crook can earn close on a quarter of a million euros per annum plus expenses and enough booze to float a battleship, for leading the EU down its road to oblivion, I'm sure Dodgy Dave could fit in very well and do his little bit. :sarcasm:

amideislas Aug 14th 2016 7:59 am

Brexit: Did we forget something?
Leaving the EU is not just about us – it’s about renegotiating our relationship with 27 other member states. Let’s hope the breakup is kind

One thing was missing from Britain’s referendum debate over Europe: Europeans. We argued and wrestled for months over the nature of our relationship with the continent, while the continent remained silent.

That was partly out of tact on their part. Europe’s politicians understood that so much as a raised eyebrow in the wrong place would have been interpreted as unacceptable meddling in British affairs and played straight into the hands of the Brexiteers. So they confined themselves to vague statements of affection and repeated the formula that this was a matter for the British people to decide.

In the EU case, there are at least 27 other parties involved, each with a veto. The Bloomberg survey makes clear that post-Brexit negotiations will be a game of 27-dimensional chess. Theresa May won’t be able simply to stitch together a deal with Angela Merkel. She’ll have to accommodate, say, Spain’s wish for joint sovereignty over Gibraltar or Denmark’s desire for reciprocal fishing access. The eastern European states will demand that Britain make a financial contribution to the EU in return for privileged single market access. And on it will go, times 27.

The irony is that, once this process begins in earnest, once the horsetrading and haggling gets under way, we’ll begin to see what the best possible deal would look like. We’ll have a sense of the ideal arrangement, one that would give us free access to the single market, a say over the rules and a sharply reduced membership fee. We’ll cross our fingers and hope our European neighbours are generous enough to grant it. What arrangement will it be? Why, the one we had in our hands, right up until 23 June 2016.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 14th 2016 10:33 pm

Hey Guys, We're far too small and insignificant.
we can't achieve anything by ourselves.:cool:

Gold Silver Bronze

UNITED STATES 26 20 20

GBR GREAT BRITAIN 14 16 7

CHN CHINA 14 13 17

RUS RUSSIAN FEDERATION 9 11 10

GER GERMANY 8 5 4

FRA FRANCE 7 8 7

ITA ITALY 7 8 6

JPN JAPAN 7 4 15

AUS AUSTRALIA 6 7 9

KOR REPUBLIC OF KOREA 6 3 5

amideislas Aug 14th 2016 10:38 pm

Yes, Dick, we know. We're far superior to everyone. And aside from the exceptionalism of just being British, the Olympics prove it.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 14th 2016 11:08 pm

:D:D:D

mmmmbuti Aug 14th 2016 11:27 pm

David Allen Green: Brexit means Brexit — but in reality it’s a long time away

David Allen Green: Brexit means Brexit — but in reality it’s a long time away | Comment | London Evening Standard

'They have to sort themselves out': Why a Brexit won't happen for a very long time

EU officials say Britain is 'nowhere' on the issue of Brexit - Business Insider

A Hairdresser’s Lawsuit Could Spell Trouble for Brexit
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ble-for-brexit

Unfortunately Brexit looks more and more unlikely to happen.

Jerseygirl Aug 14th 2016 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12026730)
Yes, Dick, we know. We're far superior to everyone. And aside from the exceptionalism of just being British, the Olympics prove it.

That's probably the best post you've ever posted. ;)

Go UK. :thumbsup: