British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 6:16 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12217351)
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

1) the poster above was suggesting "putting Britain first" was a sin! I was replying to him.

2) Yes, referendum, what ever the reasons for calling it, giving people a vote surely cannot be wrong? Cameron campaigned vigorously to 'remain'.
There was an official 'leave campaign', as I said above do you know who they were.

3) Yes, Nigel Farage hijacked the campaign, but it was nothing new, his entire ambition was for Brexit, and had been for years.

So are you suggesting that 'brown' people who voted for Brexit are possibly both racist and Xenophobic? Thanks on behalf of my family, as you said 'insults can be a compliment'!

(Just seen your above post, thanks again!)

Read my post. What I said was that being "brown" does not preclude one from being racist or xenophobic. That does not mean or imply that all "brown" people are racist or xenophobic. These are two entirely distinct statements, one of which I said and the other I clearly did not. This skin colour fetish is absurd. And race is a social construct not a scientific category.

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217511)
Read my post. What I said was that being "brown" does not preclude one from being racist or xenophobic. That does not mean or imply that all "brown" people are racist or xenophobic. These are two entirely distinct statements, one of which I said and the other I clearly did not. This skin colour fetish is absurd. And race is a social construct not a scientific category.

This is elementary, right, the only thing that qualifies someone as being racist, is racism. Am I missing something?

Is it not horrendously racist to start gatekeeping the qualities a person can have based solely on the fact that they are not white?

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217513)
This is elementary, right, the only thing that qualifies someone as being racist, is racism. Am I missing something?

Is it not horrendously racist to start gatekeeping the qualities a person can have based solely on the fact that they are not white?

Well it certainly seems simple to me :blink:

What's more, these "ordinary people" that everyone seems to feel they speak for contain multitudes. Everyone is not the same (stunning, I know) and they do not feel or think the same just because of their "ordinariness". The "ordinary people" I spoke to (not for) in the UK last week wished they weren't leaving the EU and think Ukip as a party is vile, absurd or both. Are these people not to be included in the brave new world?

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217513)

Forgot to mention. My son is white in winter and brown in summer, anglo-mexican that he is. Where does that leave him? Maybe we need some sort of seasonal approach to this whole issue?

mrken30 Mar 30th 2017 6:46 pm

One issue I have from all this, will I ever be able to vote Tory again. They caused Brexit, they made a pig's feast of Brexit, and hold none of the Conservative values from Brexit.

DaveLovesDee Mar 30th 2017 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12217538)
One issue I have from all this, will I ever be able to vote Tory again. They caused Brexit, they made a pig's feast of Brexit, and hold none of the Conservative values from Brexit.

Don't worry, the media will have white-washed the Tory part in this charade when it's time to start campaigning for the next election.

EMR Mar 30th 2017 6:49 pm

Yes whatever happened to " one nation Toryism ".
It died last June.

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 6:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. All the political parties are largely indistinguishable from each other at the moment.

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217529)
Well it certainly seems simple to me :blink:

Maybe it's too simple ...

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217529)
What's more, these "ordinary people" that everyone seems to feel they speak for contain multitudes. Everyone is not the same (stunning, I know) and they do not feel or think the same just because of their "ordinariness". The "ordinary people" I spoke to (not for) in the UK last week wished they weren't leaving the EU and think Ukip as a party is vile, absurd or both. Are these people not to be included in the brave new world?

Ordinary people certainly run the gamut, but then again, I'm from a pro-Remain region, so perhaps my regional experience is colored by that.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217536)
Forgot to mention. My son is white in winter and brown in summer, anglo-mexican that he is. Where does that leave him? Maybe we need some sort of seasonal approach to this whole issue?

My son's the worst Mexican ever. He doesn't even look like one. Get this, he looks like a Turk. Yes, he has 79 million mates (he even created 4 million right there in our garage specially for the occasion) and they are all once had a plan to overrun the UK.

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217547)
My son's the worst Mexican ever. He doesn't even look like one. Get this, he looks like a Turk. Yes, he has 79 million mates (he even created 4 million right there in our garage specially for the occasion) and they are all once had a plan to overrun the UK.

Well we've certainly foiled them now. "We" (Dick? not sure :confused:) will be picking "the ones we want" in future.

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217550)
Well we've certainly foiled them now. "We" (Dick? not sure :confused:) will be picking "the ones we want" in future.

Or, as normal people will describe it, the immigration system will work as it always has. Guess what - people from EU member states will apply for, and successfully receive, visas.

I bet nothing changes at all with respect to migration from the EU.

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217575)
Or, as normal people will describe it, the immigration system will work as it always has. Guess what - people from EU member states will apply for, and successfully receive, visas.

That would also be my guess. I don't think any business wants it to, so it will not. It will be a distinction without a difference.

Annetje Mar 30th 2017 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12217539)
Don't worry, the media will have white-washed the Tory part in this charade when it's time to start campaigning for the next election.

They are already at it ... preparing for the inevitable ...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...l-editor-no-10

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217583)
That would also be my guess. I don't think any business wants it to, so it will not. It will be a distinction without a difference.

Nice little waste of everyone's time then, eh?

DaveLovesDee Mar 30th 2017 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217575)

But, as I tried pointing out to Bipat numerous times, why would EU nationals want to pay the UK visa fee when they can go to another EU country to work for no visa fee?

Many will pay the fee, but some won't. Especially those for poorer countries who tend to make up the agri sector workers.

It'll be a money-making scheme for the Home Office, for sure.