British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 5:51 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216470)
??
You mean UK moves on in cooperation with the rest of the world, the majority of which are not members of the EU!

When the EU works with the 'rest of the world', so therefore do its members. These things already existed, just not with a name that certain people approved of.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12216468)
I will admit to bias, I do not want to see what is left of our manufacturing industry sacrificed on the alter of cheap imports masquerading as a " trade deal ".
I do not want to see the millions in the UK employed by companies who trade with the EU or are located in the UK because they have free access to EU markets put on the dole if no trade deal is agreed.
I do not want to see our farmers lose the protection they currently have and sold down the river to appease brexiters.
Yes I am biased and so should everyone be genuinely believes in the prosperity of the UK and it's people's.

Change the record, it is not trade deals about cheap imports as you know.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216472)
When the EU works with the 'rest of the world', so therefore do its members. These things already existed, just not with a name that certain people approved of.

As I have said the EU puts restrictions on trade between individual EU member countries and non-EU countries.

Assanah Mar 29th 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216397)
The EU is a trade organisation. Not a social club! It has rules regarding its members trading outside with countries not members of the Union.
Changing the staus quo without certainty it will be successful, is hardly cowardly.

Germany is the no. 1 exporter in the world. And this as a EU member. Nothing is keeping the UK to trade with the whole world ...NOTHING!!!! The UK can trade with every country it wishes to on WTO terms. It is sheer madness to push your closest and biggest trade partner away for something you already can do.

amideislas Mar 29th 2017 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12216406)
March the 29th, should now be a National Holiday surely?

I suppose it might be a kind of "memorial", like "the plague" day.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216471)
Of course I agreed with you, it was pretty obvious why they were not prepared to negotiate a deal at that stage, and they were quite right in that decision.

With regards to UK vs EU, I can't claim to know what the preference is, but I won't suggest either that just because there is an obvious shared history between India and the UK that the EU won't eventually manage to come up with a more attractive deal in the end. India are on the rise economically, so with or without the UK in their ranks, the EU will want to get in on the ground floor, so to speak.

Again, not to say I want the UK to lose out, but we must entertain the idea that they, in some cases, might. Maybe not to India, but to China, Japan, South Korea, or someone else. Some deals will be made and some will fail, that's the way of things.

One thought struck me though, wasn't the UK effectively 'trading with the world' when the world traded with the EU as a bloc? If they wanted more out of that, they could have used their position as a member to achieve it.

They were trying for a free trade deal for nine years!!!

The UK was just one of 28 members.
Yes the future is uncertain but at this stage at least be optimistic, we are leaving.

amideislas Mar 29th 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216487)

Yes the future is uncertain but at this stage at least be optimistic, we are leaving.

Which side didn't capitulate?

Oh, neither. Huh....

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12216481)
Germany is the no. 1 exporter in the world. And this as a EU member. Nothing is keeping the UK to trade with the whole world ...NOTHING!!!! The UK can trade with every country it wishes to on WTO terms. It is sheer madness to push your closest and biggest trade partner away for something you already can do.

It cannot have free trade deals with non-EU countries. It functions via the EU.

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216479)
As I have said the EU puts restrictions on trade between individual EU member countries and non-EU countries.

Those are restrictions that are set and voted on by all member states though, are they not?

Don't mistake this as my saying I want post-Brexit Britain to fail, I just think they would have been better served using their position within the EU to make the rules work for them, so to speak.

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12216481)

It does seem a rather short-sighted move on the UK's part and one wonders if they will end up losing out more by having to trade with the EU as an outsider.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12216489)
Which side didn't capitulate?

Oh, neither. Huh....

True there were problems on both sides which is why a deal with the UK will possibly be more successful.

amideislas Mar 29th 2017 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216494)
True there were problems on both sides which is why a deal with the UK will possibly be more successful.

Ya think?

Yeah, whatever you want... We need something or else we'll get flat-out destroyed in 2020 elections. Please? pretty please? Anything! Really. We're yours!

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 6:15 pm

OK, but that was pre-Brexit. Things can change. Doesn't mean they will in this case, of course.

One of 28 members with power of veto and a part to play in the decision making process. Now it's just one of 169 ordinary countries outside the EU and isn't entitled to anything beyond what it gets.

Uncertainty is not usually ideal conditions for optimism though, is it? Pragmatism is the only way and I won't apologize that I was, am and will continue to be opposed to Brexit and the ideologies that brought it forth. As much as Nigel and friends (and his orange bum chum on my side of the pond) would love it, we're not living under fascist dictatorships yet and that is still my right.

EMR Mar 29th 2017 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216473)
Change the record, it is not trade deals about cheap imports as you know.

So much for your concerns for the UK,its people and economy.

EMR Mar 29th 2017 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216490)
It cannot have free trade deals with non-EU countries. It functions via the EU.

So you do want a free trade deal with India.
Its a pity that the Indians do not want one , or the Americans, the Japanese, who is left that really matters who we do not already trade with ?

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12216519)
So you do want a free trade deal with India.
Its a pity that the Indians do not want one , or the Americans, the Japanese, who is left that really matters who we do not already trade with ?

I am concerned with the UK that is why I voted for Brexit. India does want a free trade deal with the UK! How many links have I put on!! Talks have beeen going on since the result of the referendum.
Anyway it is very late, so goodnight. I am supposed to be packing! Soon to be in the UK where I suppose OH will be grabbed and at the airport by xenophobic brexiters!:lol:::lol: