British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 5:00 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216413)
I agree with you nothing is certain. Yes, it may not turn out for the best but you cannot be certain that it will not be successful.

I am not certain it won't be successful, I'm merely entertaining the idea that it might not.

I don't want Brexit to fail, if those are the cards we have been dealt but simply winning a referendum doesn't guarantee actual success in the real world either. Now we have to deal with the whims of 195 other countries, and not just 27.

Yes, the EU may make more efforts with non--EU countries, just a few weeks ago the largest ever delegation from the EU came to India trying to resurrect the failed free trade negotiations-----they went home--!

I'd put that down to India being smart enough to wait until the UK have actually left the EU before making any final decisions.

EMR Mar 29th 2017 5:00 pm

I agree with you nothing is certain. Yes, it may not turn out for the best but you cannot be certain that it will not be successful.

Yes, the EU may make more efforts with non--EU countries, just a few weeks ago the largest ever delegation from the EU came to India trying to resurrect the failed free trade negotiations-----they went home--!

Why ,because India does not believe in opening its markets to imports.
Free trade cuts both ways, as the UK will soon find out when imports flood in from
those "new " trade agreements.

Fredbargate Mar 29th 2017 5:15 pm

There should be a new soap on British TV

The whinging remoaners :rofl:

What an excellent day it is :thumbsup:

Lion in Winter Mar 29th 2017 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12216426)

For goodness' sake Fred, it's just another day in politics. The top 2% will win. They usually do.

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 5:22 pm

Can we have a moratorium on wank words, now this is all finally enacted? You just make yourself look like a toddler when you say things like 'remoaner' :rolleyes:

But the excellent day will come when the demographics of the UK finally shift to the point where their voice can be represented and the likes of you have finally been bred out. Just a shame today's electorate only think of themselves and not for the generations to come after them.

This is a shameful day for the UK, IMO. But you do you.

EMR Mar 29th 2017 5:22 pm

How many of 96% pro remain in Gib are celebrating tonight.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by EMR;12216417[B
]Why ,because India does not believe in opening its markets to imports.
[/B]Free trade cuts both ways, as the UK will soon find out when imports flood in from
those "new " trade agreements.

Don't be ridiculous of course they import! There were problems on both sides!

EMR Mar 29th 2017 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216441)
Don't be ridiculous of course they import! There were problems on both sides!

Free trade means no restrictions as we have with the EU and hopefully will continue unlike India and the US etc etc.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216436)
Can we have a moratorium on wank words, now this is all finally enacted? You just make yourself look like a toddler when you say things like 'remoaner' :rolleyes:

But the excellent day will come when the demographics of the UK finally shift to the point where their voice can be represented and the likes of you have finally been bred out. Just a shame today's electorate only think of themselves and not for the generations to come after them.

This is a shameful day for the UK, IMO. But you do you.

I said the same thing about words used by yourself in a post above.

It is the future that those who voted for Brexit are thinking of. They just have a different view to those who voted to remain on how a good future can be achieved.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12216447)
Free trade means no restrictions as we have with the EU and hopefully will continue unlike India and the US etc etc.

We have restrictions with non-EU countries because of the EU. You have read about the potential free trade agreements with non-EU countries. No need to go through it all again---you are so biased if I may say so!

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216450)
I said the same thing about words used by yourself in a post above.

Nigel deserves derision as a direct result of his actions.

No doubt if I called Fred a Brexshitter, he'd just love it, right?

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216450)
It is the future that those who voted for Brexit are thinking of. They just have a different view to those who voted to remain on how a good future can be achieved.

A future where the rest of the world moves on in cooperation and the UK just sits there and watches from the sidelines. Sounds great.

But whatever, it is what it is now, right?

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216416)

I'd put that down to India being smart enough to wait until the UK have actually left the EU before making any final decisions.

Missed your post!---You have just agreed with me! They obviously would prefer to consider an agreement with the UK, so did not respond to overtures from the EU to get in first!

EMR Mar 29th 2017 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216456)
We have restrictions with non-EU countries because of the EU. You have read about the potential free trade agreements with non-EU countries. No need to go through it all again---you are so biased if I may say so!

I will admit to bias, I do not want to see what is left of our manufacturing industry sacrificed on the alter of cheap imports masquerading as a " trade deal ".
I do not want to see the millions in the UK employed by companies who trade with the EU or are located in the UK because they have free access to EU markets put on the dole if no trade deal is agreed.
I do not want to see our farmers lose the protection they currently have and sold down the river to appease brexiters.
Yes I am biased and so should everyone be genuinely believes in the prosperity of the UK and it's people's.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216461)
Nigel deserves derision as a direct result of his actions.

No doubt if I called Fred a Brexshitter, he'd just love it, right?

A future where the rest of the world moves on in cooperation and the UK just sits there and watches from the sidelines. Sounds great.

But whatever, it is what it is now, right?

??
You mean UK moves on in cooperation with the rest of the world, the majority of which are not members of the EU!

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216465)
Missed your post!---You have just agreed with me! They obviously would prefer to consider an agreement with the UK, so did not respond to overtures from the EU to get in first!

Of course I agreed with you, it was pretty obvious why they were not prepared to negotiate a deal at that stage, and they were quite right in that decision.

With regards to UK vs EU, I can't claim to know what the preference is, but I won't suggest either that just because there is an obvious shared history between India and the UK that the EU won't eventually manage to come up with a more attractive deal in the end. India are on the rise economically, so with or without the UK in their ranks, the EU will want to get in on the ground floor, so to speak.

Again, not to say I want the UK to lose out, but we must entertain the idea that they, in some cases, might. Maybe not to India, but to China, Japan, South Korea, or someone else. Some deals will be made and some will fail, that's the way of things.

One thought struck me though, wasn't the UK effectively 'trading with the world' when the world traded with the EU as a bloc? If they wanted more out of that, they could have used their position as a member to achieve it.