British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12216283)
Well it's not for me to comment on that so I'll leave it for Merkel and her unwelcome guests to sort out.

Did you hear that rush of rapidly moving air? That wasn't Farage talking, so don't get excited, no, that was my post flying over your head.

Mind I can imagine how they must feel,
after being invited to a party only to be told to piss off back home.

:cool:

Imagine? I'd say you most likely have first hand experience of what that feels like.

Lion in Winter Mar 29th 2017 3:01 pm

Well it's not for me to comment on that so I'll leave it for Merkel and her unwelcome guests to sort out.

Mind I can imagine how they must feel,
after being invited to a party only to be told to piss off back home.

The thinnest of thin veneers...

Dick Dasterdly Mar 29th 2017 3:08 pm

No maybe I've no idea how it feels and I'd certainly not be inviting guests only to tell them to piss off back home again.

Not nice at all, Mrs Merkel.

There again with an election coming up soon and her failed policies about as welcome as a fart in a perfume shop........

amideislas Mar 29th 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12216251)
I'm sure you will with Germany overrun with more migrants than it can find jobs for and another half million living on benefits that they are desperate to throw out of the country.

I thought that was why you voted the UK to leave (?). Funny, if Germany is so bad off, why isn't Germany begging to leave, too?

I suppose the fact that Germany has a larger, more robust economy, lower wealth disparity, a higher standard of living, and a lower crime rate, and I reckon it might have something to do with their cultural aversion to "uber-nationalist" mentality. Germans have been there, done that, and it failed miserably. But then again, "empire" thinking ultimately failed for England too.

Besides, working as part of a much larger, more powerful team always renders much more than the sum of the parts (as even the UK should know by now). But not everyone has the benefit of that understanding. Some just forget how they got where they are, and hide their discomforts behind a veil of pseudo nationalism. Oddly enough, that's what led Germany to its previous failure in the first place.

Oh well... Live and learn. Good luck with that.

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12216301)
No maybe I've no idea how it feels and I'd certainly not be inviting guests only to tell them to piss off back home again.

Did you hear that rush of air again?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12216301)
There again with an election coming up soon and her failed policies about as welcome as a fart in a perfume shop........

I suppose you could now change the idiom to "as welcome as a foreigner in the UK".

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12216257)
And what's the betting that a certain mop headed blonde will appear out of the woodwork to help her on her way. Like most women she got the dirty housekeeping job. When that's done she will be told she can't 'handle things'

I think she wanted the job! She managed as the longest serving home secretary (in modern times) --not an easy job!

EMR Mar 29th 2017 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12216305)
I thought that was why you voted the UK to leave (?). Funny, if Germany is so bad off, why isn't Germany begging to leave, too?

I suppose the fact that Germany has a larger, more robust economy, lower wealth disparity, a higher standard of living, and a lower crime rate, and I reckon it might have something to do with their cultural aversion to "uber-nationalist" mentality. Germans have been there, done that, and it failed miserably. But then again, "empire" thinking ultimately failed for England too.

Besides, working as part of a much larger, more powerful team always renders much more than the sum of the parts (as even the UK should know by now). But not everyone has the benefit of that understanding. Some just forget how they got where they are, and hide their discomforts behind a veil of pseudo nationalism. Oddly enough, that's what led Germany to its previous failure in the first place.

Oh well... Live and learn. Good luck with that.

Being such an expert on German politics it has obviously escaped Dicks notice that the leading opposition party is just a pro EU as Merkel .That his fellow travelling knuckle draggers will have little influence on the future direction of Germany.
Just as we saw in Holland and will see in France.

Bipat Mar 29th 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216282)
Read my post again carefully. C-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. Now, note the word 'if' at the start of the first sentence. Did you see it? Do you need a minute or two to go find a dictionary and look up what that word means? I'll give you a second ...

... OK, done? Got it? With me? Now tell me, at which point did I say with any kind certainty that any of that stuff was going to happen. I was just pointing out that you're all so blindly excited about a return to xenophobic, nationalist exclusionism in the UK that you won't even stop to consider the possibility that it might; two, five, even ten or more years down the line, go wrong.

Because you WON, and that's all that matters, isn't it?

You'll excuse me if I don't put my 'deal with it' shades on, this isn't really a very 'cool' situation if I may have your permission to possess my own opinion on the matter.

Again the word "xenophobic", can you explain how an ambition to trade more with the rest of the world, with all of Europe not just 27 of its countries, to be as Mrs May said in her statement "global", --is "xenophobic"???

Dick Dasterdly Mar 29th 2017 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216311)
Did you hear that rush of air again?

I suppose you could now change the idiom to "as welcome as a foreigner in the UK".

I'm thinking that most of them in the rest of Europe would be over the moon to be as welcome and well integrated as those in the U.K.

Little wonder they risk their lives every day trying to cross the channel rather than trying to settle in countries like France.

Lion in Winter Mar 29th 2017 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12216324)
I'm thinking that most of them in the rest of Europe would be over the moon to be as welcome and well integrated as those in the U.K.

Little wonder they risk their lives every day trying to cross the channel rather than trying to settle in countries like France.

Yeah. Bloody foreigners can't even take care of the bloody foreigners properly.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 29th 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12216329)
Yeah. Bloody foreigners can't even take care of the bloody foreigners properly.

You said it. :cool:

EMR Mar 29th 2017 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12216321)
Again the word "xenophobic", can you explain how an ambition to trade more with the rest of the world, with all of Europe not just 27 of its countries, to be as Mrs May said in her statement "global", --is "xenophobic"???

May does not post on this forum or speak for her fellow ministers like Liam Fox or UKIP or the geriatric Euro sceptics on her back benches.

As the chairman of one of the UK manufacturing organisations said on BBC this morning " there has been nothing to stop UK companies exporting we just have to get better at it ".

SultanOfSwing Mar 29th 2017 3:28 pm

Trade has nothing to do with nationality, that's a complete non-sequitur and it's obvious bait to which I am not going to rise. Go try with someone else.

Whatever Ms. May says or does, you would have to be blind not to see that there was a very strong undercurrent of xenophobia running though the Leave campaign. Cancerous nationalists like Flange et al capitalized on the attitude of Britain First crowd and for some reason succeeded in railroading Cameron into calling the referendum.

I'm thinking ...

Well that's a lie.

... that most of them in the rest of Europe would be over the moon to be as welcome and well integrated as those in the U.K.

That veneer is getting thinner.

amideislas Mar 29th 2017 3:31 pm

Well, "trade with the world" was one of the [lesser] Brexit rationales, but Britain already trades with most of the world, so I reckon most people didn't really find that to be their foremost concern.

I've been watching Sky news today, and like any news outfit, they're out interviewing people on the street to get their reactions. The *vast* majority of those who support Brexit speak almost exclusively about aversion to foreigners in one way or another - although not necessarily in those words.

It's usually phrased something like "I just feel we have too many immigrants, and I think leaving the EU will make that better". Those that do talk about anything else seem to mention sovereignty and "making our own laws". I don't think anyone mentioned "trade with the rest of the world". I'd have to believe that's because Britain already does that, so it's just not on their minds.

Of course, by all accounts, Brexit won't change any of that (and likely will make it worse), but it seems that's what most average people in favour of Brexit are expecting: Less Foreigners.

Lion in Winter Mar 29th 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12216331)
You said it. :cool:

If ever there were a "whoosh"...