British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Mar 25th 2017 5:32 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12212916)
Thanks for confirming that what I said was correct.

Nothing of the sort.
No one forced the Spanish, Greeks, Irish, Portuguese to borrow and waste billions of Euros.
If someone borrowed money from you would you happily write of the loan and then lend more without strict conditions.
Unless you are a fool , you would not.
You obviously know very little about the EU, the Eurozone, the ECB and the European banking crisis.

lgm1963 Mar 25th 2017 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12212922)
Nothing of the sort.
No one forced the Spanish, Greeks, Irish, Portuguese to borrow and waste billions of Euros.
If someone borrowed money from you would you happily write of the loan and then lend more without strict conditions.
Unless you are a fool , you would not.
You obviously know very little about the EU, the Eurozone, the ECB and the European banking crisis.

Why?

You confirmed that a lender may exert influence on a borrower, confirming my assertion that Germany can use indebtedness to get its way with regard to its EU ambitions.

One of us apparently knows very little about the EU, Eurozone, the ECB et al. And it's not me.

amideislas Mar 25th 2017 5:44 pm

Vex, is that you?

EMR Mar 25th 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12212927)
Why?

You confirmed that a lender may exert influence on a borrower, confirming my assertion that Germany can use indebtedness to get its way with regard to its EU ambitions.

One of us apparently knows very little about the EU, Eurozone, the ECB et al. And it's not me.

I spend about half of my year in one of the debtor countries.
One where the populace is having to pay the price of poor economic mismanagement.
That had little if anything to do with Germany.
When did a lender setting conditions equate to "economic war"
That is what you posted.
If so are you at war with your bank ?

lgm1963 Mar 25th 2017 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12212931)
One where the populace is having to pay the price of poor economic mismanagement.
That had little if anything to do with Germany.
When did a lender setting conditions equate to "economic war"
That is what you posted.
If so are you at war with your bank ?

When that lender is a country, when the borrower is another country, and the lender uses indebtedness to exert undue influence to further its own aims.

Especially a country that has failed twice in recent history to take over Europe by military means and is now doing so by economic means.

GeniB Mar 25th 2017 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12212681)
:rolleyes: Just when I was considering a thaw for him. Back in the deep freeze next to Thatcher for you, Heseltine.

They never know when to stop, do they?

I think he was absolutely right in saying what he did. Indeed the UK will have handed the leadership role in Europe to Germany. Altho let's face it they did that 20 yrs ago when they 'flounced' at the very idea of taking an active role in guiding the EU. They much preferred to sit on the fence and heckle.

I don't for one minute think he was talking in any derogatory way about Germany ,or hinting at past or future military goals. It's only the Brits who continue to hark back to the 'war'.

May's treatment of him was disgraceful,especially as she was the one to go back on her so called 'beliefs' How quickly she turned her coat when she saw the chance at being Prime Minister..

EMR Mar 25th 2017 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12212943)
When that lender is a country, when the borrower is another country, and the lender uses indebtedness to exert undue influence to further its own aims.

Especially a country that has failed twice in recent history to take over Europe by military means and is now doing so by economic means.

Those pesky Germans, if only they were more like we British and followed our enviable example of economic and industrial management.
They must look on our Japanese, Korean , Indian,French German etc auto industry the remnants of our steel industry , much Indian owned , ad infinitum with envy.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 25th 2017 6:28 pm

Yanis Varoufakis predicts EU collapse in six years ahead of Treaty of Rome 'celebrations' | World | News | Express.co.uk

Yanis Varoufakis, the former finance minister of Greece, has claimed that the European Union is in an "advanced state of disintegration".

In a withering tirade against the bloc, the leading economist said that crumbling European institution would crash out of existence in just six years.

EU leaders are gathering in Rome to mark the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Rome, the accord that spawned the European Union project.

Speaking about the anniversary of the founding document, Mr Varoufakis claimed that Angela Merkel and Jean-Claude Juncker "had nothing to celebrate".

Dick Dasterdly Mar 25th 2017 6:32 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...P=share_btn_fb

'It was a nice idea, but …' Europeans on what went wrong with the EU.

GeniB Mar 25th 2017 6:37 pm

Oh I see --your referring to the USA here then!!:confused:

It used it's crooked banking system to lure European banks into debt.. quite deliberately in the case of Goldman Sachs/Deutsche Bank/Greece...Plus it's biased (ok crooked) Government owned rating agencies to decide what that debt would be....I can quite see why you would let them off the hook though... Doesn't gel with your argument.:o

Red Eric Mar 25th 2017 6:48 pm

Germany hasn't directly lent money to any other EU country though (except for a small portion of the first Greek bailout).

Red Eric Mar 25th 2017 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12212931)

May I recommend that you do a little more background reading, perhaps broadening your sources a little? ;)

lgm1963 Mar 25th 2017 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12212946)
Those pesky Germans, if only they were more like we British and followed our enviable example of economic and industrial management.
They must look on our Japanese, Korean , Indian,French German etc auto industry the remnants of our steel industry , much Indian owned , ad infinitum with envy.

So now you mock the open and free commercial conditions that exist in the UK and hold up the protectionism of Germany as something to aspire to?

You couldn't make it up. Oh wait.........you did.

Red Eric Mar 25th 2017 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12212950)
Yanis Varoufakis predicts EU collapse in six years ahead of Treaty of Rome 'celebrations' | World | News | Express.co.uk

Yanis Varoufakis, the former finance minister of Greece, has claimed that the European Union is in an "advanced state of disintegration".

In a withering tirade against the bloc, the leading economist said that crumbling European institution would crash out of existence in just six years.

EU leaders are gathering in Rome to mark the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Rome, the accord that spawned the European Union project.

Speaking about the anniversary of the founding document, Mr Varoufakis claimed that Angela Merkel and Jean-Claude Juncker "had nothing to celebrate".

Come on Dick - even the Express managed to find enough ink and willpower to quote the ends of some of those sentences.

EMR Mar 25th 2017 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12212950)

How many times and for how many years have you been posting links and your personal view that the EU was close to collapse.
You were wrong then are wrong now and will be every time in years ahead that you post the same nonsense.