British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

GeniB Mar 23rd 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12211049)
Considering the number of countries in the EU that are getting benefits from the very few who pay in I very much doubt that the UK has benefited financially from EU subsidies.
Yes we may have benefited from EU labour but I believe much of their earnings were sent home to benefit other countries?

If anyone could point to a balance sheet I think it would be very interesting.

There's one enormous example called LIVERPOOL Fred... check out how much they received from the EU to re-build the city centre .. A billion as I said.. It's all available for you to look up. Then there is a certain city in Wales

Fredbargate Mar 24th 2017 8:16 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12211634)
There's one enormous example called LIVERPOOL Fred... check out how much they received from the EU to re-build the city centre .. A billion as I said.. It's all available for you to look up. Then there is a certain city in Wales

What fraction of the billions we have paid in over years does that represent.

A balance sheet would soon show the financial pro's and con's

GeniB Mar 24th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12211778)

It shows that we have gained 'something' instead of the constant assertions that we got nothing out of the EU. As to a balance sheet maybe your MP could help you with that.. Or the official government site.?

It is strange that most countries in the EU know exactly what has been built or helped by their contributions and that of others. Yet the UK population seems to know nothing? why is that do you think?

amideislas Mar 24th 2017 8:36 am

Reality has a funny way of separating truth from fiction. No worries though, Britain will be faced with reality soon enough. But no doubt it will be hailed as a "victory", no matter how it turns out.

Assanah Mar 24th 2017 8:57 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12211787)
Reality has a funny way of separating truth from fiction. No worries though, Britain will be faced with reality soon enough. But no doubt it will be hailed as a "victory", no matter how it turns out.

Yes, and if things turn sour we know whose fault it is: the vindictive EU :nod:

amideislas Mar 24th 2017 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12211792)
Yes, and if things turn sour we know whose fault it is: the vindictive EU :nod:

Everything would be just fine if they hadn't "kicked us out".

Fredbargate Mar 24th 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12211634)

I've looked it up and the figure is £285 million in EU funding that Merseyside including Liverpool has received from the EU since 2000 nowhere near the £billion figure you have quoted

Since 2000 the UK has paid £75.5 billion net into the EU

I suspect the £285 million that Merseyside received is taken from the gross figure having no effect on the net figure.

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12211783)
As to a balance sheet maybe your MP could help you with that.

I don't have a MP. Or should that be I don't have an MP?

DaveLovesDee Mar 24th 2017 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12211778)

Ask the people of Merseyside whether they think it was worth it. Then ask them if Westminster would have funded the massive regeneration with the money saved had we not been a member of the EU?

EMR Mar 24th 2017 11:03 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12211863)
Ask the people of Merseyside whether they think it was worth it. Then ask them if Westminster would have funded the massive regeneration with the money saved had we not been a member of the EU?

How much has the massive investments in the UK by non UK owned companies because it gives them free access to the EU been worth to the UK.
How many billions does our financial industry generate.
In the so called halcyon days of previous common market membership we had failing , industry, lacking investment and good management.
Where are those companies now, replaced by others who recognise the advantages of being in the UK , part of the EU.

EMR Mar 24th 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12211859)
I've looked it up and the figure is £285 million in EU funding that Merseyside including Liverpool has received from the EU since 2000 nowhere near the £billion figure you have quoted

Since 2000 the UK has paid £75.5 billion net into the EU

I suspect the £285 million that Merseyside received is taken from the gross figure having no effect on the net figure.

I don't have a MP. Or should that be I don't have an MP?

WALES, 2007-2019 will have received over 3 billion pounds in EU funding.
Where is the promise from Westminster to continue this.

amideislas Mar 24th 2017 11:18 am

The EU is about a union working together to facilitate security and prosperity across the union. And while it was in its infancy, naturally the bugs in the programme came to light, the result is still greater than the sum of the parts. Many of the fundamental flaws have been or are in the process of being solved (despite resistance from certain nationalist interests). It's a work in progress.

For better or worse, Britain decided it's not something it wants to be involved in. So, Britain should simply leave, and accept the consequences of that decision. But what Britain should not engage in is a false belief that it's somehow entitled to the benefits without any contribution. And worse, shouldn't blame the consequences of its own decision on the club that it's terminating its membership to.

So, just go already. That's what you voted for. Quit waiting around to collect bennies. Britain isn't the center of the universe, and the EU isn't a British welfare state. Welcome to reality. Enjoy your stay.

InVinoVeritas Mar 24th 2017 11:32 am

In 2015 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was £4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.5 billion.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

Bipat Mar 24th 2017 11:35 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12211877)
The EU is about a union working together to facilitate security and prosperity across the union. And while it was in its infancy, naturally the bugs in the programme came to light, the result is still greater than the sum of the parts. Many of the fundamental flaws have been or are in the process of being solved (despite resistance from certain nationalist interests). It's a work in progress.

For better or worse, Britain decided it's not something it wants to be involved in. So, Britain should simply leave, and accept the consequences of that decision. But what Britain should not engage in is a false belief that it's somehow entitled to the benefits without any contribution. And worse, shouldn't blame the consequences of its own decision on the club that it's terminating its membership to.

So, just go already. That's what you voted for. Quit waiting around to collect bennies. Britain isn't the center of the universe, and the EU isn't a British welfare state. Welcome to reality. Enjoy your stay.

I agree with you, --they are going-- it is obviously beneficial for both the UK and the EU for the UK to have an agreed negotiated exit. The individual member countries of the EU also have important issues. This cannot happen overnight.
If you are so against the UK and so pleased they are going , why are you so 'worked up' about it??:lol:

Novocastrian Mar 24th 2017 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12211888)
In 2015 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was £4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.5 billion.

Which amounts to 0.47% of the UK GDP. UK exports to the EU amount to 13% of the UK GDP.

https://infacts.org/uk-needs-eu-more-than-it-needs-us/

EMR Mar 24th 2017 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12211888)

So it's all going to be spent on the NHS and social care, bollocks it is.
Where is this money going, come on brexiters one of you must know .