British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Mar 23rd 2017 2:59 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12211296)
The expats I was friends with in Spain in the 70's are either still here or have moved on to other countries, whilst many of the newer arrivals have returned home.

Yes, I think it's been pointed out before that the freer the movement, the less likely people are to regard a move as permanent. The outflows are important when you want to lower nett immigration figures.

InVinoVeritas Mar 23rd 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12211300)
Don'the get too downhearted there are more of you than you think.
Why do our brexiters have such huge inferiority complexes and fear of debate.

And why do you have twist and turn on the hook that you swallowed, like an old trout?

la mancha Mar 23rd 2017 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12211268)
It's because of the freedom of capital movement.

You still haven’t explained why we need a Union? Why are we bound in a Union and not a union of governments without Brussels and all that goes with it? Are you saying we need a Union only because of freedom of movement of capital?

amideislas Mar 23rd 2017 5:19 pm

Manch, Britain doesn't need any stinking union or capital or foreigners or any of that other lefty EU stuff. It's perfectly happy all by itself. So, why doesn't it just leave that horrible union that causes it so much pain, and do whatever it thinks it's doing all by itself? Britain voted for that many months ago. What's the holdup?

Red Eric Mar 23rd 2017 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12211412)
You still haven’t explained why we need a Union?

That's because it was a joke about capitalisation of letters :)

And because it was explained in a manner I can't top many moons ago in several posts by Assanah, to name just one poster. I'm sure you were privy to that conversation - in fact those posts were probably in response to just such questions from you.

But as it happens, you don't need a Union. You're absolutely free to choose not to be part of it. Many countries don't bother with applying in the first place and there is even a mechanism for countries which have opted to join to subsequently leave, put there at the behest of the UK, which is highly fortuitous.

EDIT - Ah, I see ami got there before me. I wasn't copying guv, honest.

Fredbargate Mar 23rd 2017 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12211424)
Manch, Britain doesn't need any stinking union or capital or foreigners or any of that other lefty EU stuff. It's perfectly happy all by itself. So, why doesn't it just leave that horrible union that causes it so much pain, and do whatever it thinks it's doing all by itself? Britain voted for that many months ago. What's the holdup?

The whingers building imaginary hoops and fences that have to be negotiated.

amideislas Mar 23rd 2017 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12211431)
The whingers building imaginary hoops and fences that have to be negotiated.

The brexit team are "whingers"? Negotiate what? Bennies? Well, that would be a rather British expectation..

SultanOfSwing Mar 23rd 2017 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12211432)
The brexit team are "whingers"?

Their supporters certainly are.

la mancha Mar 23rd 2017 5:34 pm

I am sorry I am not as knowledgeable in cryptic jokes as you, Eric.

As for Assanah, I am sure she will remember and tell me, if she wants to or if it is allowed.

And as for Ami, I apologise most humbly for rattling your cage.

InVinoVeritas Mar 23rd 2017 5:35 pm

Let's just sort out this confusion. It is the Remainers who are the whingers. That is why they are commonly known as Remoaners. It's not rocket science guys!

SultanOfSwing Mar 23rd 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12211438)
That is why they are commonly known as Remoaners.

Right. You meant to say 'known by commoners as Remoaners', but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because as a wank-word user, you're obviously challenged.

It's not rocket science guys!

Isn't that lucky for you?

Fredbargate Mar 23rd 2017 6:07 pm

Let's just sort out this confusion. It is the Remainers who are the whingers. That is why they are commonly known as Remoaners. It's not rocket science guys!

Correct but truth hurts.

EMR Mar 23rd 2017 6:11 pm

Those who voted remain and accept the result which is the vast majority of us know the difference between a vote to leave the EU and actually leaving the EU.
That sadly is too logical a concept for most brexiters to understand.

amideislas Mar 23rd 2017 6:22 pm

It seems everyone's whinging about brexit.

What was the point again?

Red Eric Mar 23rd 2017 6:30 pm

If I remember correctly ami, it was to put a stop to a 40 year Whinge-a-thon indulged in by a small section of the Tory party.