Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:32 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by lgm1963 View Post
...and the Spanish have a saying "Portugal no existo"
.....and the French still say Africa begins at the Pyrenees.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:09 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Vote Leave director admits they won because they lied to the public

The original Dominic Cummings article in the Spectator

A screenshot of the relevant paragraphs,
Attached Thumbnails Post EU Referendum-screenshot-2017-03-22-01.05.56.png  
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 8:21 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
And the British say Europe begins on the other side of the channel (and when there's fog in the channel, the continent is cut off).

Does it matter? I mean, they're all just a bunch of lazy-arsed, benefits-sucking foreigners anyway.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:03 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

From the same publication. No wonder they aren't making good on the NHS "suggestion".

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
Whilst the Basques say Africa begins at Granada.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:30 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The Portuguese have a saying, " only bad things come from Spain"
Originally Posted by lgm1963 View Post
...and the Spanish have a saying "Portugal no existo"
The Portuguese are more than happy with that.
They look to the west .

I'm going to get all pedantic again, as this gives a very bad impression.

The actual expression is "De Espanha, nem bom vento, nem bom casamento" (neither a good wind nor a good marriage comes from Spain - only it sounds better in Portuguese because it rhymes).

It refers to weather brought by winds from the east and to marriages between the royal households which historically threatened Portugal's political independence. Not much that can be done about the weather but the Portuguese did make the startling discovery, in 1908, that a few well-aimed bullets can permanently resolve a right royal pain in the arse.

Portugal and Spain have excellent relations these days and a lot of cross border cooperation besides the trade (thanks in no small part to the European Union, of which both are very enthusiastic and very active participants). That doesn't stop Portugal having ambitions to be open to the rest of the world too, either as part of being a member of the EU or on its own account and in fact there are initiatives which I have mentioned on here that amply demonstrate that.

But we don't need to go giving the Batty Brigade any more grist to their EU-falling-apart-at-the-seams mantra by misquoting old proverbs or misrepresenting current day politics between the 2 countries.

Last edited by Red Eric; Mar 22nd 2017 at 10:08 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:33 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I'm going to get all pedantic again, as this gives a very bad impression.

The actual expression is "De Espanha, nem bom vento, nem casamento" (neither a good wind nor a good marriage comes from Spain - only it sounds better in Portuguese because it rhymes).

It refers to weather brought by winds from the east and to marriages between the royal households which historically threatened Portugal's political independence. Not much that can be done about the weather but the Portuguese did make the startling discovery, in 1908, that a few well-aimed bullets can permanently resolve a right royal pain in the arse.

Portugal and Spain have excellent relations these days and a lot of cross border cooperation besides the trade (thanks in no small part to the European Union, of which both are very enthusiastic and very active participants). That doesn't stop Portugal having ambitions to be open to the rest of the world too, either as part of being a member of the EU or on its own account and in fact there are initiatives which I have mentioned on here that amply demonstrate that.

But we don't need to go giving the Batty Brigade any more grist to their EU-falling-apart-at-the-seams mantra by misquoting old proverbs or misrepresenting current day politics between the 2 countries.
I use the words a Portuguese restaurant owner used .
So let's give him the benefit of the doubt .
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:36 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I use the words a Portuguese restaurant owner used .
So let's give him the benefit of the doubt .
Why?

You're not starting that old "I believe a native of a country more than I believe an expat, are you?" Because it doesn't wash with me for the same reasons I gave you before.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:47 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Why?

You're not starting that old "I believe a native of a country more than I believe an expat, are you?" Because it doesn't wash with me for the same reasons I gave you before.
Because he is Portuguese and deals with Spanish tourists.
Remember the Algarve suffered from the collapse of a number of Spanish financed developments.
There is one that dominates the skyline of parts of Albufeira .
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:53 am
Who - me?

Because he is Portuguese and deals with Spanish tourists.
And you may have misheard what he said or mistransposed it here. Or he could simply have got it wrong or made it up (which doesn't make it "a saying")

"The Portuguese have a saying" means it is a commonly-repeated phrase or proverb. There isn't one which says what you posted as far as I'm aware but I have heard what I posted many, many times.

You can search the internet if you like - if you can find reference to a saying as quoted by you, I'll give you a grovelling apology.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:56 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

And now for something completely different...

There seems to be a very wide gap between the EU and the UK on the Brexit "settlement" which the EU has suggested is in the order of €60 billion and the UK suggests should be more like €3 billion.

Without wanting another Brexit vs Remainer feud, I would be interested to know your views on this.

The EU have said the UK should pay its share of commitments/budgets which were agreed whilst the UK was an EU member but which are for a period after the UK has ceased to be an EU member.

This is likely to go to the Hague to be resolved so I assume it is not clearly laid down in any treaty.

The questions which come to my mind are:-

Are these future costs irrevocable or can they be cancelled/revised?

Will the UK benefit from this spend after it has left the EU?

How does this compare with a married couple divorcing when there are, more or less pressing, up-coming expenses related to home and family?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:10 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post

There seems to be a very wide gap between the EU and the UK on the Brexit "settlement" which the EU has suggested is in the order of €60 billion and the UK suggests should be more like €3 billion.

Without wanting another Brexit vs Remainer feud, I would be interested to know your views on this.

The EU have said the UK should pay its share of commitments/budgets which were agreed whilst the UK was an EU member but which are for a period after the UK has ceased to be an EU member.

This is likely to go to the Hague to be resolved so I assume it is not clearly laid down in any treaty.

How does this compare with a married couple divorcing when there are, more or less pressing, up-coming expenses related to home and family?
There may or may not be penalties payable by any member who leaves as part of the various treaties.
There may be payments agreed as part of our final trade negotiations.
But it will not be just about payments by the UK.
What about the farm subsidies etc etc.
Do these cease on the 30th March 2019 along with every other support payment from the EU.
Has our government given anyone a cast iron legally binding obligation that these EU payments will be honoured and continue ad infinitum ?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it the position of the 27 is that Cameron insisted on, and pushed through, a 3% reduction in the proposed 2014-2020 EU budget. This meant that planned spending needed to be postponed until the next budget cycle. They argue that the UK should pay it's share of the postponed spending.

Will the UK benefit? It depends on a vast array of variables. As usual, nobody knows, but if they insist on settling this matter before moving on to discuss future relationships between the UK and the EU then the UK had better be flexible.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:21 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

1. They could be cancelled but there may be repercussions in other aspects of the negotiation so revising would be the better move. we have essentially had the EU's opening gambit of 60Bn and the UK's 3Bn - they will, in all likelihood, settle somewhere in between.

2. Maybe but unlikely methinks given the negotiations will get emotional.

3. A flawed analogy as you are in effect divorcing 27 different wives ranging from reasonable/pragmatic to bunny boilers and then there is the Commission who is the lover with de facto rights who thinks they own you heart and sole.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:42 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
A flawed analogy as you are in effect divorcing 27 different wives
Love it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.