British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 6:10 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11983193)
These several videos I have now seen of people who voted 'leave' being all sad about Britain leaving winning, and regretting it, would be laughable if it wasn't so laughable for other reasons.

Have they googled what "leave EU" means yet?

kimilseung Jun 24th 2016 6:10 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
If you have not seen any....

Man Who Voted For Brexit Is 'A Bit Shocked' His Vote Counted, Is Now 'Worried'

Leave voter 'disappointed' and wishes to vote remain - ITV News

kimilseung Jun 24th 2016 6:12 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11983196)
Have they googled what "leave EU" means yet?

I think the dawning knowledge that the premier league teams will have to lay off many Mediterranean stars is hitting hard with some.

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 6:13 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Christ.

Words fail me.

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 6:23 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11983202)
I think the dawning knowledge that the premier league teams will have to lay off many Mediterranean stars is hitting hard with some.

A transcript of the man who voted Leave:

"I’m a bit shocked to be honest. I’m shocked that we actually have voted to Leave, I didn’t think that was going to happen.

My vote, I didn’t think was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to Remain, and the David Cameron resignation has blown me away to be honest.

I think the period of uncertainty that we’re going to have for the next couple of months, that’s just been magnified now.

So yeah, quite worried"

Can't we just deport these people and get some better ones from Syria?

la mancha Jun 24th 2016 6:27 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

kimilseung Jun 24th 2016 6:28 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11983220)
Can't we just deport these people and get some better ones from Syria?

A voter exchange system, I'd take a 2:1 ratio and think it a good deal

lutonlad Jun 24th 2016 6:36 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11982940)
I partly agree.

But it is also the UK I grew up in, with the neo-Nazis parading, the Saturday-night "Paki bashing" - and equally, the response of normal, decent people to shut it down. It is always possible for the unscrupulous to whip up the fear of foreigners and general nastiness, unfortunately. But I am angry and embarrassed today, explaining this garbage to my American colleagues here at work. Not proud at all today. And yes, sad.

However, giving up is out of the question. These idiots cannot have my country.

Are you actually serious. I mean do you really link those of us who dislike the EU with the 'idiots and neo-nazis' that you describe? If yes, then it's people like you who help feed the divisions in the country. No better than the right wing contingent that you love to hate.

The Remainers occupied two distinct camps.

Those who based their views mostly on economic grounds - and I sort of get that because a trading block is what we originally voted for.

And those, largely on the Left, who dislike the connotations of 'Great Britain' as in its historical Empire. They saw the EU and its policy of free movement as an ideal platform to dismember the British establishment and what it represents - and fundamentally change our way of life. The EU was a convenient tool to break the mould. That's why, rather than having a rational debate about immigration, they stifle it and play the racist card every time.

Fortunately people saw through it.

So for those ideologists who idolize the EU and its policy of free movement as if it were a religion, their real agenda has been exposed.

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 6:40 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11983243)
Are you actually serious. I mean do you really link those of us who dislike the EU with the 'idiots and neo-nazis' that you describe? If yes, then it's people like you who help feed the divisions in the country. No better than the right wing contingent that you love to hate.

The Remainers occupied two distinct camps.

Those who based their views mostly on economic grounds - and I sort of get that because a trading block is what we originally voted for.

And those, largely on the Left, who dislike the connotations of 'Great Britain' as in its historical Empire. They saw the EU and its policy of free movement as an ideal platform to dismember the British establishment and what it represents - and fundamentally change our way of life. The EU was a convenient tool to break the mould. That's why, rather than having a rational debate about immigration, they stifle it and play the racist card every time.

Fortunately people saw through it.

So for those ideologists who idolize the EU and its policy of free movement as if it were a religion, their real agenda has been exposed.

Everyone who voted Brexit? No.

People who thought Nige's poster was ok? Yes.

Everyone who went along with the xenophobic message? Yes.

And yes, the Brexit campaign took off when that started.

I was one among many asking for a proper economic analysis of either a Leave or a Remain vote, and I have no quarrel with those who made their decision based on such facts.

But those who whipped up the xenophobia, and those who went along with it, I despise. That is all.

SultanOfSwing Jun 24th 2016 6:47 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11983182)
I can read. When the posts above are complaining about xenophobic Brexiters, I questioned your apparent praising of the Empire Britain---'that they wouldn't have stooped to running a campaign based on fear', when in fact they got power because of it.
If I misunderstood and you were not praising---apologies.

(I have heard present day immigrants say that they cannot understand a country 'great' like Britain is now allowing itself to be ruled by the EU!

(Quite a number of immigrants from Empire countries settled in Northern Ireland from 1920s/30s onwards)

OK, had I worded it 'the Britain that won the Second World War', maybe it would have been more apparent first time around. Now you know what I mean anyway.

amideislas Jun 24th 2016 7:10 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Most of us wouldn't believe the likes of daily mail, express, and sun can seriously manipulate the electorate with bullshit. Now you know how wrong that assumption is.

EMR Jun 24th 2016 7:29 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11983158)
Colonial immigrants - people from the former British Empire, very few of them found their way to Northern Ireland. Hong Kong aside, last I checked, China was not part of said empire.

The UK, at the height of the Empire, was the most powerful nation in the world. Fact. Not a debate of the rights and wrongs of Empire building, just stating a fact. The leave campaign winning a vote based on fear is not representative of a nation that once held such power.

That's the last time I explain a post, learn to read in future.

July 1914 was a good month, it has been all down hill for the UK since then.

EMR Jun 24th 2016 7:32 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
There has been a huge amount of waffle, dispute and argument regarding democracy.

The next UK government will be elected by members of the Tory party, a tiny % of the UK electorate.

Come on brexiters stand up for the democracy you claim has been taken away from us.

Red Eric Jun 24th 2016 7:47 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11983243)
The Remainers occupied two distinct camps.

Those who based their views mostly on economic grounds - and I sort of get that because a trading block is what we originally voted for.

And those, largely on the Left, who dislike the connotations of 'Great Britain' as in its historical Empire. They saw the EU and its policy of free movement as an ideal platform to dismember the British establishment and what it represents - and fundamentally change our way of life. The EU was a convenient tool to break the mould. That's why, rather than having a rational debate about immigration, they stifle it and play the racist card every time.

Fortunately people saw through it.

So for those ideologists who idolize the EU and its policy of free movement as if it were a religion, their real agenda has been exposed.

I don't fall into either of those categories and I've explained several times what it is I think has worked by being a member of the EU and what I hoped would be protected by remaining.

I have also explained why I thought aspects of the Leave campaign have been misguided. I've yet to read a cogent explanation from them - all the rhetoric about sovereignty and immigrants aside - about exactly what they expect to change in what is now the reality of Brexit.

The single market anyone - or cease trading with the EU? Or trade with tariffs on both sides? For starters.

And don't forget those plans for protecting the environment and the improved pay and conditions for workers - making sure they don't get trampled over by unscrupulous big businesses. Boris stepped up to the mark to explain that lot yet?

How about London as a financial centre for Euro transactions? - the ECJ ruled just last week in Britain's favour on that one. Byee. No matter, perhaps it can be replaced with all the world's dodgy transactions with the UK becoming a gigantic fiscal paradise, which the EU looked like just about starting to threaten. All those fine words from Dave about how that was going to be stamped down on, too. What a pity. Never mind. Onwards into the brave New Dawn.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 24th 2016 9:18 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11983225)
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

I'm beginning to think there really is a God after all.

I'm still here, the Sky hasn't fallen in and no sign of WW3.

We are freeing ourselves from the rotten to the core, unelected Mafioso in Brussels who care not a jot for ourselves or anything we stand for, as long as they get their grubby paws on our hard earned cash to use in their favourite pastimes of throwing it into black holes or continuing down the road with Project Fail.

What a wonderful, wonderful day.

Independence Day !

:thumbsup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:48 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.