British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Wol Jun 22nd 2016 11:05 pm

Post EU Referendum

Posted just after midnight on June 23rd, in the "Leaving the EU thread":

>>I think the biggest question facing us on the eve of the EU referendum, is not who will win, but how long will this thread continue after the votes have been counted?

Perhaps there will be a separate post Brexit thread, it is all in the lap of the gods!<<

Well, folks - 'ere it is!

Lion in Winter Jun 22nd 2016 11:11 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 11981060)
Posted just after midnight on June 23rd, in the "Leaving the EU thread":

>>I think the biggest question facing us on the eve of the EU referendum, is not who will win, but how long will this thread continue after the votes have been counted?

Perhaps there will be a separate post Brexit thread, it is all in the lap of the gods!<<

Well, folks - 'ere it is!

Suppose there isn't a Brexit? What thread will we use then?

Wol Jun 22nd 2016 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11981064)
Suppose there isn't a Brexit? What thread will we use then?

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn :sneaky:

(Posted on a beautiful, sunny afternoon overlooking an Alaskan glacier. The name calling and innuendos of the three hundred plus pages of the other thread seem a long way away.)

paulry Jun 23rd 2016 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 11981078)

(Posted on a beautiful, sunny afternoon overlooking an Alaskan glacier. The name calling and innuendos of the three hundred plus pages of the other thread seem a long way away.)

:cool: Who is going to be the first name caller on this thread, I wonder.....? :D

Lion in Winter Jun 23rd 2016 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 11981078)

Alaska is beautiful.

This thread is unlikely to be so.

Vexcore Jun 23rd 2016 3:06 am

Post Brexit? hmmm lets hope lol.

jam25mack Jun 23rd 2016 5:09 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11981109)
:cool: Who is going to be the first name caller on this thread, I wonder.....? :D

Me!

You're all dicks!

Seriously though, regretting not registering! Its going to be an interesting day!

Fredbargate Jun 23rd 2016 5:26 am

This is stupid

We all know that the world will end immediately the counting is finished

So there cannot be a post brexit

paulry Jun 23rd 2016 5:42 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11981270)
Me!

You're all dicks!

Seriously though, regretting not registering! Its going to be an interesting day!

At least dicks are useful - unlike that EU shower of shite! :D

My wife and I registered but our postal voting slips haven't arrived. We're annoyed that we have been deprived of our vote but hopefully I've helped make the difference for those who do get to vote. :fingerscrossed::britflag:

Yep. it certainly is going to be an interesting day and a bit. Possibly one of the most important decisions that Britons will ever collectively make.

mikelincs Jun 23rd 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11981288)
At least dicks are useful - unlike that EU shower of shite! :D

My wife and I registered but our postal voting slips haven't arrived. We're annoyed that we have been deprived of our vote but hopefully I've helped make the difference for those who do get to vote. :fingerscrossed::britflag:

Yep. it certainly is going to be an interesting day and a bit. Possibly one of the most important decisions that Britons will ever collectively make.

Certainly made a difference for me, persuaded that I would vote 'stay' just to annoy you. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

amideislas Jun 23rd 2016 6:50 am

Latest polls suggest it will likely be a rather uninteresting day. No takeover by the far right, no crash of sterling (actually a bit of a recovery), and a sigh of relief for many. Carry on...

Red Eric Jun 23rd 2016 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11981185)
Alaska is beautiful.

This thread is unlikely to be so.

Then again, Alaska isn't short.

However, assuming this thread doesn't stray off-topic it is likely to be. Possibly too short even for Godwin's Law to be invoked but time will tell.

Bipat Jun 23rd 2016 8:21 am

Just read this in a local paper.

Look at the top photo.
Whether in or out we will still have a shared aim with our closest Commonwealth partner-----the manufacture of umbrellas! :lol:

Polls open in UK's historic 'Brexit' referendum

paulry Jun 23rd 2016 10:01 am

The interesting thing about these predicted poll percentages is almost without exception all the online polls that I have seen suggest significantly higher support for Brexit than remain - yet the non online ones claim that the two sides are neck and neck.

EU referendum recap: Remain wins back the lead over Brexit in final two polls before historic vote - Mirror Online

iano Jun 23rd 2016 10:13 am

Remain to win by one vote, pullring. :lol:

You heard it here first.

amideislas Jun 23rd 2016 10:28 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11981452)
The interesting thing about these predicted poll percentages is almost without exception all the online polls that I have seen suggest significantly higher support for Brexit than remain - yet the non online ones claim that the two sides are neck and neck.

EU referendum recap: Remain wins back the lead over Brexit in final two polls before historic vote - Mirror Online

Online polls have been notoriously inaccurate, because people flippantly click the answer they're most passionate about at any given moment, yet in reality, may never vote that way at all. Telephone polls are a bit more accurate because people are talking one-to-one.

In any case, your desire to believe that at the polls, a majority would vote leave is wishful thinking. Leave would need at least a consistent 10 point lead to have a credible prediction of victory going in. Leave is the most questionable choice after all, so it will need some serious momentum to win. And it doesn't.

I predict it will go something like the last elections. Not close at all. A "shocking" upset.

EMR Jun 23rd 2016 11:04 am

We are sitting in the Portuguese sunshine, golf this afternoon, no tv we have had enough.
Remain votes cast.
Tomorrow I will either be miserable but a bit wealthier. If we Remain I will be happy and who cares about anything else.
Nige will be pleased as he can stay on the Euro gravy train for a the indefinite future.

Hazelnut Jun 23rd 2016 11:24 am

I'm hoping the bookmakers have it right. :fingerscrossed:

GeniB Jun 23rd 2016 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11981512)
We are sitting in the Portuguese sunshine, golf this afternoon, no tv we have had enough.
Remain votes cast.
Tomorrow I will either be miserable but a bit wealthier. If we Remain I will be happy and who cares about anything else.
Nige will be pleased as he can stay on the Euro gravy train for a the indefinite future.

Here here... I wonder if Nige WILL stay on the gravy train? He stood up in the EU parliament and grossly insulted Herman Van Rompuy (techinically his boss) who he claimed looked like a wimpy wet rag bank clerk (or some such) and who was he anyway?..nobody had heard of him...OOPS...Might find a pink slip on his desk monday...lol :eek:

GeniB Jun 23rd 2016 2:07 pm

As this is a post Brexit..thread I hope that the rift caused by this ill advised referendum will heal quickly. Whether we are in or out it has done great damage to the countries equilibrium

Friends emailed this morning to say the atmosphere is poisonous. very bad and very sad.

lutonlad Jun 23rd 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11981661)
As this is a post Brexit..thread I hope that the rift caused by this ill advised referendum will heal quickly. Whether we are in or out it has done great damage to the countries equilibrium

Friends emailed this morning to say the atmosphere is poisonous. very bad and very sad.

I'm not sure about 'ill advised' but I certainly feel let down. Successive UK governments could have done much more to address peoples concerns about the EU. As it is, the country has become very divided and strained. So much for 'one nation'.

I fully expected Cameron to come back with something more tangible in terms of reforms - something that the country could get behind (what a naive thought). He either didn't try hard enough or was out of his depth. As it is, the choice has become too stark and the resulting campaign very toxic.

Although I exercised my democratic right and put my cross on the paper, in truth neither of the two blunt options reflected my views.

Interesting to see what the political fallout will be.

sir_eccles Jun 23rd 2016 6:46 pm

Most of the polling has been wildly inaccurate. Apparently the polls to really watch are the currency and financial markets (lots of hedge funds commissioned their own private exit polls apparently).

EMR Jun 23rd 2016 9:26 pm

Majority of brexit Tory MPs including the brexit leaders have signed a letter of support for Cameron continuing as PM what ever the result.
Farage appears to have already conceded that the UK will REMAIN.

mikelincs Jun 23rd 2016 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11981945)
Majority of brexit Tory MPs including the brexit leaders have signed a letter of support for Cameron continuing as PM what ever the result.
Farage appears to have already conceded that the UK will REMAIN.

Nige will be OK, no matter what the result he will continue to get paid by the EU till he loses an election, or, much less likely, the UK vote leave.

sir_eccles Jun 23rd 2016 10:02 pm

Suggestions that turnout was of the order of 83%. Impressive but hardly a workable mandate...

Correction that might have been the Gibraltar number, overall 70% still impressive!

bcworld Jun 23rd 2016 10:42 pm

Gibraltar result is in: 96% to Remain!

Lion in Winter Jun 23rd 2016 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11981987)

I think that was expected. No doubt they didn't fancy being isolated in their corner of the peninsular.

The pound has popped over $1.50.

sir_eccles Jun 23rd 2016 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11981987)

I demand a recount!

Lion in Winter Jun 23rd 2016 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11981999)
I demand a recount!

They used the pencils, didn't they.

Lion in Winter Jun 23rd 2016 11:04 pm

The Geordies are IN.

Bloody elites, the lot of 'em.

bcworld Jun 23rd 2016 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11981992)
The pound has popped over $1.50.

Has just fallen 4 cents! Things are looking interesting!

Lion in Winter Jun 23rd 2016 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11982025)

I blame Sunderland.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 24th 2016 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11982037)
I blame Sunderland.

I LOVE THE MACKEMS.

PREMIER LEAGUE STATUS AND NOW THIS GREAT VICTORY FOR FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

bcworld Jun 24th 2016 4:40 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11982025)

Did I say 4? I meant 17!

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 4:43 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11982243)
Did I say 4? I meant 17!

And Martin McGuinness has just called for a referendum on a united Ireland, given that they voted to stay in. Will Scotland be far behind? Well done Brexit, you may get your Little England after all. Literally.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 24th 2016 4:45 am

Also a great victory for Europe.:thumbsup:

This should hasten the demise of a dictatorial regime which is rotten to the core.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dick Dasterdly Jun 24th 2016 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11982245)
And Martin McGuinness has just called for a referendum on a united Ireland, given that they voted to stay in. Will Scotland be far behind? Well done Brexit, you may get your Little England after all. Literally.

Ha, ha, sour grapes.

Who cares anyway ?

Once the rotten house of cards collapses, as it surely will,
they'll all be following our coat tails anyway.

Red Eric Jun 24th 2016 4:47 am

A sad day. Gawd knows what the future holds for us all but democracy has been served.

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11982250)
Ha, ha, sour grapes.

Who cares anyway ?

Once the rotten house of cards collapses, as it surely will,
they'll all be following our coat tails anyway.

Are you 12?

You want the UK to break up?

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11982252)
A sad day. Gawd knows what the future holds for us all but democracy has been served.

I fully expect all the foreigners to be gone by morning.

No doubt we will keep our access to the EU trading bloc - for which we will now pay tariffs - so that international companies don't desert us. Only we won't have any say in any of it.

To do this we will have to keep signed on to freedom of movement (think foreigners causing traffic jams)

Then we can set about renegotiating 30 years of trade deals with other countries that will be invalidated by our leaving the EU.

It's good, isn't it.