Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:00 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Yes, that entailed retaining a status quo which significant numbers of the population weren't happy with.
"Significant"

Good thing the young people weren't given the opportunity to express their views, eh.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:02 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Back to POLITICS. Macron and Tusk have told May where to stuff her silly liddle proposal. Well done, chaps, let's get this charade of a proposal over with.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:28 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Back to POLITICS. Macron and Tusk have told May where to stuff her silly liddle proposal. Well done, chaps, let's get this charade of a proposal over with.
Barnier and Junckers told her the same thing months ago but May thought she could go behind their backs and make a deal with EU countries, hence half the Government visiting different countries during the summer (wasting yet more time).
I think Hungary (!) is on May's side though

Time for May's speciality I suppose ... Huge U-turn.
Does she realize by now that nobody, apart from herself, likes her deal ?

Loads of headlines reading : Chequers goes pop.

Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:48 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Barnier and Junckers told her the same thing months ago but May thought she could go behind their backs and make a deal with EU countries, hence half the Government visiting different countries during the summer (wasting yet more time).
I think Hungary (!) is on May's side though

Time for May's speciality I suppose ... Huge U-turn.
Does she realize by now that nobody, apart from herself, likes her deal ?

Loads of headlines reading : Chequers goes pop.

Yes, May has been in denial since Day 1. Even David Davis said Chequers was a non-starter, but she seems wed to it. Waiting for a leadership bid / election now.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:58 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, May has been in denial since Day 1. Even David Davis said Chequers was a non-starter, but she seems wed to it. Waiting for a leadership bid / election now.
Can the annual Tory conference be an even bigger shambles than last year ?
Didn't think it could but .....

Old Sep 20th 2018, 8:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I do think the decision should be reversed, and that democracy is over-rated in this instance.
What an utterly depressing thing to read.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 8:05 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
What an utterly depressing thing to read.
No worries. I'm not a sheep.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 8:17 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever your bent, the fact remains that there simply is no upside in any version of Brexit. It will not fix or even improve anything it was sold to do, and virtually everything on the tin, in the best of all cases, will either stay the same or become more exaggerated, and that's just the stuff that actually existed (not including the widespread bullshit, which actually could become reality as a result). But reality is sorting it all out now. It always has a funny way of doing that.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 8:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

There would be no difference then. You're imaging a much more difficult situation than would actually exist. If both sides if Ireland voted say 70% in favour of reunification, why should they be stopped? Especially, if the NI people affected were given the right to dual nationality. Countries change. Look at Germany and Czechoslovakia.
I agree with you. If both Ireland's decide that they want unification and vote for it then I'm all for it as long as they pay 100% of the cost of the transition.

It should also come with the proviso that they can no longer lean on the British for financial bail outs, defence or any kind of international support beyond what we might offer to a normal ally. The ability for anyone born on that side of the Irish Sea without British citizenship to freely travel and work in the UK would also need to be removed.

If Ireland wants one land under one president and no British control then that's exactly what they should get and everything that goes with it.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 8:59 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. If both Ireland's decide that they want unification and vote for it then I'm all for it as long as they pay 100% of the cost of the transition.

It should also come with the proviso that they can no longer lean on the British for financial bail outs, defence or any kind of international support beyond what we might offer to a normal ally. The ability for anyone born on that side of the Irish Sea without British citizenship to freely travel and work in the UK would also need to be removed.

If Ireland wants one land under one president and no British control then that's exactly what they should get and everything that goes with it.
I seriously doubt anyone would expect to "rely on the UK" for anything post-brexit.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 9:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

"Significant"

Good thing the young people weren't given the opportunity to express their views, eh.
How young are you talking ?

I'm younger than any of you AFAIK and I voted Leave. Should we be offering a vote to toddlers now? Where would you draw the line exactly.

I'll be honest, unless you want to see Logan Paul or Taylor Swift running the country and policies like 'free Fortnite V-Bucks for all' then I wouldn't recommend opening up the electoral process to 15-16 year olds.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 9:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
I seriously doubt anyone would expect to "rely on the UK" for anything post-brexit.
Yeah because they're all lining up to rely on Spain, France and Portugal aren't they.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 9:33 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

No worries. As the UK wants to leave the EU, I presume they'll be paying all the costs incurred as a result as well then? That'll include hard borders with the RoI and Spain.

If a united Ireland does ever happen, I'm pretty sure it won't want a penny from the UK. After all, Leave means Leave.

Including all the benefits. I'd suggest the RoI and NI would get the better deal from that.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 10:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
No worries. As the UK wants to leave the EU, I presume they'll be paying all the costs incurred as a result as well then? That'll include hard borders with the RoI and Spain.

If a united Ireland does ever happen, I'm pretty sure it won't want a penny from the UK. After all, Leave means Leave.

Including all the benefits. I'd suggest the RoI and NI would get the better deal from that.
Really? Because the last time I checked, the Irish economic situation didn't look all that rosey. I doubt adding a few million extra mouths to feed would really do Ireland any favours.

And AFAIK, we are paying the bill for Brexit.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 10:50 pm
F.orum Ape

How young are you talking ?

I'm younger than any of you AFAIK and I voted Leave. Should we be offering a vote to toddlers now? Where would you draw the line exactly.

I'll be honest, unless you want to see Logan Paul or Taylor Swift running the country and policies like 'free Fortnite V-Bucks for all' then I wouldn't recommend opening up the electoral process to 15-16 year olds.
The 16 & 17 year olds should have been included. They're going to experience far more of the "new order" than the seniors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.