Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Mar 14th 2019, 6:43 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
People are still being told it is should the UK not leave. Brexit Central has been putting that out and apparently it was tweeted by none other than ex Government Minister Esther McVey only this week that the UK would be forced to adopt the euro next year if not out by then.
​​​​​​
A tweet she had to cancel having proved the claim that some make about blondes
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Be nice if the EU tells us to **** Off and the UK crashes out on the 29th of March with no deal. Perhaps at 2355 on the 29th the Govt rescinds Article 50 so its back to normal the UK remains in the EU. Maybe next week Mays wins the 3rd vote for a deal rather than no deal at all. I am more interested in the Champions League draw tomorrow to see who the 4 English teams get and if drawn against each other its Citeh V Liverpool and Spurs V Yernited.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
That we are leaving is already a settled matter.

Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:23 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Basically Yvette Coopers amendment was to make sure the UK did not crash out of the EU on March 29th with a 'No deal. She wanted an extension that would take them past the July EU elections. ( Another sticky point ) and she added that there would never be a 'No deal Brexit ' if the amendment was passed.. It was. so that option was take off the table
UNLESS Theresa deicides to ignore it
Sooooo they now go to Brussels ...ummmm no they don't because Brussels has said there must be a new proposal from the UK on what they want
If there isn't by the 29th March deadline. There is deadlock
... I think.... unfortunately, she's won Geni.
My sense, admittedly from far away, is that she'll win her deal on the 3rd vote next week. That two vote differential of a comedy this evening was the high-water mark for the MP's imo. Pity.
I hope I'm wrong, but a snake is always most dangerous when injured.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Nah, half of them are Leavers. Now if they could just agree which Leave to support, they might get somewhere.
Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Were they? I thought Mogg quoted this figure the other night. I've always thought it was 80% based on what I read, but I suppose some vote along constituent lines, and I know quite have few have gone along with the referendum.
74% are remainers according to this:

Most members of the House of Commons are believed to have voted Remain in the EU referendum.

According to a survey of all 650 MPs carried out by the Press Association ahead of the referendum on June 23:

:: 480 MPs said they would be voting Remain, including 184 Conservatives

:: 159 MPs said they would be voting Leave, including 139 Conservatives

:: 11 MPs were undeclared, including four Conservatives

This gives Remain a notional Commons majority of at least 310.

Some 218 Labour MPs said they would vote Remain while just 11 backed Leave.

All eight Liberal Democrat MPs intended to vote Remain, along with all 56 SNP MPs, all three Plaid Cymru MPs, all four Sinn Fein MPs and all three SDLP MPs.

Green MP Caroline Lucas also said she would vote Remain, as did independent MP Sylvia Hermon and the two Ulster Unionist MPs.

The eight DUP MPs said they would be voting to Leave, along with Ukip MP Douglas Carswell.
Which is how these out of touch political elites have managed to ignore their mandate and their manifestos and thwart the will of the people.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:30 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I thought we lived in a democracy. Clearly it looks like I was wrong.

Bit of a relief to the old wallet I can assure you.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:31 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Blue That we are leaving is already a settled matter.
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
What do you think BristolUK... is he a kind of Time-Lord ...
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm genuinely interested in whether Dave (DLD) still thinks a hard exit is a strong possibility now?
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:43 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Great combative interview Jon Snow v Matt Hancock on C4 News this evening !
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:44 pm
Democracy advocate

May has the ERG/DUP hard-boys where she wants them now - ready for her 3rd vote.

They have a choice of voting with her or getting an extension of Art 50 - possibly a long one.

Perhaps she'll be third time lucky.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
May has the ERG/DUP hard-boys where she wants them now - ready for her 3rd vote.

They have a choice of voting with her or getting an extension of Art 50 - possibly a long one.

Perhaps she'll be third time lucky.
No chance.

That vote will end in another heavy defeat.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:47 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
No chance.

That vote will end in another heavy defeat.
I'm with Cape on this one, I think she has a chance (though I hope not!).
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
I'm with Cape on this one, I think she has a chance (though I hope not!).
I don't think it's at all realistic to expect the kind of large swing that's needed to get that deal over the line. Not even with the pressure of time running out and any further inducements the government might offer.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 9:19 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
​​​​​​A tweet she had to cancel having proved the claim that some make about blondes
I think it's far more a case of a scientifically-proven fact that Brexiters are extremely susceptible to bullshit, rather than anything to do with hair colour.

She was still trying to defend the bloody thing (on exactly the same sort of grounds we've seen trotted out on here, so no prizes for guessing where they're all congregating) after she'd had it pointed out that it was utter rubbish. There are 2 alternatives - either she believed it or she didn't. Whichever is the truth, it certainly doesn't reflect well on her.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 9:25 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
I don't think it's at all realistic to expect the kind of large swing that's needed to get that deal over the line. Not even with the pressure of time running out and any further inducements the government might offer.
What about the custard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.