Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Mar 9th 2019, 9:47 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Car hire firms are businesses that depend on customers paying in order to survive and thrive. Rejecting a customer will have negative profit implications. So I can just see masses of car hire companies saying, "I'm going to greatly inconvenience you, and ruin my company's profits for the year, since you voted leave, didn't you".

How is this not 'project fear'?
g

Its UK government advice..
The law of individual countries as Eric says will apply , as yet no one, has said anything but the UK government..
Car companies have to follow local laws and regulation..
For £5 it's not a big issue or worth the risk..

Old Mar 9th 2019, 9:49 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
.. Now, let's see if I recall this correctly... Oh yes, that's it.....
I'm talking about the real world,' ...
The real world where people in The UK are getting IDP from their local post office..
The post office has already seen an almost 20% rise in applications in the last quarter of 2018 and is increasing the number of branches where they can be purchased in response to demand.

I would add not one of those who replied on this subject actually lives in the UK ..

Last edited by EMR; Mar 9th 2019 at 9:56 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
g

Its UK government advice..
The law of individual countries as Eric says will apply , as yet no one, has said anything but the UK government..
Car companies have to follow local laws and regulation..
For £5 it's not a big issue or worth the risk..
Right, so hardly worth mentioning then, other than to pile on the 'list of problems your vote for Brexit caused'. I don't know how you people sleep at night with all the utter doom and gloom that is floating around in your heads!
Old Mar 9th 2019, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so hardly worth mentioning then, other than to pile on the 'list of problems your vote for Brexit caused'. I don't know how you people sleep at night with all the utter doom and gloom that is floating around in your heads!
Listening to this lot anyone would think the UK, one of the world's richest and most attractive countries don't forget, can't take care of itself. I could understand the despair if we were talking about somewhere like Brazil (which has seen a massive slide down the world GDP rankings in recent times).
Old Mar 9th 2019, 10:07 pm
EMR
Banned

Don,t blame me I voted remain, blame the government that issued the advice...
Old Mar 9th 2019, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Don,t blame me I voted remain, blame the government that issued the advice...
How about stopping the finger pointing and recriminations and just getting on with our lives?
Old Mar 9th 2019, 10:23 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
How about stopping the finger pointing and recriminations and just getting on with our lives?
Oh no that couldn't possibly work
Old Mar 9th 2019, 11:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to this lot anyone would think the UK, one of the world's richest and most attractive countries don't forget, can't take care of itself.
Being alive for the last couple of years, seeing how leaving the EU has been handled, that might be a reasonable conclusion.

Old Mar 10th 2019, 12:41 am
EMR
Banned

Since when did the government's Brexit notices become finger pointing..

Old Mar 10th 2019, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Oh dear god...Stop treating this subject like a football match. Losers /winners. what your saying here is 'Meh mer meh mer mer meh... WE WON you lost' It's you thats afraid of a stewards inquiry,You that's afraid that the video recording will show a foul.You that's terrified that now the people have found out the truth, they will come to their sense's and vote to remain.
Face it Paulry, you have nothing to offer but the useless chant
You might be thinking of it as a football match but the truth is in a binary referendum there are winners and losers. If you voted leave then sorry, you lost the referendum. But if you want me to sugar coat it for you I'll say that your view was the incorrect one and over time it will be clear to all that leaving the EU was the right thing to do. Over time you will start to see all us Brexiteers as star strikers! ....In fact one day you will likely begin to claim that you were a Brexiteer all along!
Old Mar 10th 2019, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine reckons the doctors are all expressing opinions on the Brexit fiasco. Here's what they're saying...

The Allergists were in favour of scratching it,
but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.
The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it,
but the Neurologists thought the Brexiters had a lot of nerve.
Meanwhile,
Obstetricians felt certain everyone was labouring under a misconception,
while the Ophthalmologists considered the idea short-sighted.
Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!"
while the Paediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!"
The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness,
while the Radiologists could see right through it.
Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the
Internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow.
The Plastic Surgeons opined that May’s proposal would
"put a whole new face on the matter."
The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward,
but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea.
Anaesthesists though it was all a gas,
and those lofty Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no.
In the end, the Proctologists won out,
leaving the entire decision up to the arseholes in Parliament.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Actually as from Spring 2020 they will be visiting the new 37 million quid Theme Park being built just outside Rotherham.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....eeds-1-9637477

Good for them, an excellent initiative . Alton Towers has been a great success ,as of course was Blackpool . Both private enterprises . A shame the government hasn't seen fit to help out in any way, after decimating so many area's of the midlands and north. in the 80's ( a thing sneakily acknowledge in May's recent attempt to bribe MP's from those very area's ,funnily enough )
Old Mar 10th 2019, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
You might be thinking of it as a football match but the truth is in a binary referendum there are winners and losers. If you voted leave then sorry, you lost the referendum. But if you want me to sugar coat it for you I'll say that your view was the incorrect one and over time it will be clear to all that leaving the EU was the right thing to do. Over time you will start to see all us Brexiteers as star strikers! ....In fact one day you will likely begin to claim that you were a Brexiteer all along!
Are you insane Paulry.?.. I LIVE in the EU.. No one in their right mind ,with any REAL knowledge of how it works ,would want to leave it.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 6:37 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
The difference is that I am engaging with the substantive argument - car manufacturers are not saying they will leave.

They are saying if the economic situation post Brexit means they make losses they will leave - that is the same as today and as ten years ago - if the economic situation at any point in time is bad they will close plants.

The issue is whether under a hard brexit this will occur, or whether a potential further Fx change will make the UK more favourable than the previous one did - let's face it, before the vote we were at euro 1.30 to the £, now we are at 1.17 - so a 10% softening of sterling making Mini cars sold in Europe XX% more attractive - perhaps a further softening will aid this further.

Alternatively perhaps the UK gov will cover the tariffs of UK exporters, using the incoming tariffs to do so - basically charging BMW a tariff on imports to negate Mini tariffs (BMW) on exports.

Of course there is a risk to car manufacturers in the UK, but as yet all the hyperbole from project fear is just that - hyperbole.
There doesn't seem to be many that are unequivocally saying they will stay though....but I haven't done a round up.

The difference between decisions on sustainable levels of profit 10 years ago and now is Brexit.

Many car manufacturers might seek to come to the UK post-Brexit if the UK somehow manages to get this right. They might all scarper because it's a total cluster ****.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 7:00 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Infamous Brexit promises haunt politicians as Britain faces crunch week

The hubris and fantastical claims sold by many Brexit-supporting politicians -- and indeed some remainers -- are now facing their moment of truth as the deadline for the UK's withdrawal from the EU looms large.

Last edited by amideislas; Mar 10th 2019 at 7:05 am.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.