Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Mar 9th 2019, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It's not catching :
I make it a point to keep an eye on lots of different outlets. It's a mistake to only read things one agrees with.
Yes, I agree and do the same. Keeping an eye on the right wing filth of the express & mail gives a sense of proportion and balance to other sources. Occasionally I keep an eye on the BBC, but it's now so biased & boot-licking to the govt., it's little better than official propaganda. A very good one-stop feed can be found at -
UK Newspapers Online and Worldwide Newspapers in English;International News Sites/Links; Business News
Spent many happy hours there.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 5:29 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post

You've been disputing the cold hard fact that 52% of voters want to dump the EU for the best part of 3 years, Shard.

Actually, a little over 2yrs and 8.5 months ago, 52% of those whose votes were counted nationally voted Leave. And unless you're referencing a very recent poll, your use of the present tense is incorrect.

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Monday I will join the queue at the local post office to get my IDP ( just in case ) .
It could be a fun time across Europe this summervwhen the tens thousands of Brits turn up to collect their hire cars to be told, no correct paperwork, no car.
You voted to leave didn,t you.
But the good news is, that in a no deal Brexit, anyone who has less than 6 (I've also read 9) months left on their passport wont be able to use it for holidays in the EU. I'm looking for the link again.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-mi...which-11657376

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Mar 9th 2019 at 5:59 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Actually, a little over 2yrs and 8.5 months ago, 52% of those whose votes were counted nationally voted Leave. And unless you're referencing a very recent poll, your use of the present tense is incorrect.
But the good news is, that in a no deal Brexit, anyone who has less than 6 (I've also read 9) months left on their passport wont be able to use it for holidays in the EU. I'm looking for the link again.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-mi...which-11657376
great!!! Brits can holiday in Skegness afaic. The 52% can easily be made up by the influx of other member States who come here - and they don't whinge or wobble along with their blubber.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
great!!! Brits can holiday in Skegness afaic. The 52% can easily be made up by the influx of other member States who come here - and they don't whinge or wobble along with their blubber.
Actually as from Spring 2020 they will be visiting the new 37 million quid Theme Park being built just outside Rotherham.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....eeds-1-9637477
Old Mar 9th 2019, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
It might at least lead us to a general election , and allow for this shabby lot to be removed, and for the people to be able to vote in those with some common sense .Or is that a vain hope ?
But if 'this shabby lot' are removed, who takes their place? I'm not seeing a credible opposition at this point. Labor seems to be self-destructing in front of us, with Momentum's help. The lack of a credible opposition does seem to be a hugely contributing factor to the mess here.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
But if 'this shabby lot' are removed, who takes their place? I'm not seeing a credible opposition at this point. Labor seems to be self-destructing in front of us, with Momentum's help. The lack of a credible opposition does seem to be a hugely contributing factor to the mess here.
Couldn't you have a referendum for the next PM
Old Mar 9th 2019, 6:48 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Please provide the link to what you are saying
How do you want it - spoken or written? And which language?

Old Mar 9th 2019, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Actually as from Spring 2020 they will be visiting the new 37 million quid Theme Park being built just outside Rotherham.
It looks very good FL. Good luck to them.
With luck Rotherham may even have the odd southerner up when they get bored waiting on the M20 or queuing at Gatwick waiting to use the single runway.
It'll de-Brit the areas where I am. Good outcome.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:28 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
How do you want it - spoken or written? And which language?
Official in English please with specific reference that an IDP will not be needed after the 29th or after whatever form or when ever Brexit happens.
English press in Portugal not good enough..
Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:33 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post

Yeah, with all the extra money they'll have after Brexit......
Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Official in English please with specific reference that an IDP will not be needed after the 29th or after whatever form or when ever Brexit happens.
English press in Portugal not good enough..
eerrrmmm... Post no deal, English won't be an official EU language... n'est-ce par..?
You'll have to learn ...
Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:56 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
eerrrmmm... Post no deal, English won't be an official EU language... n'est-ce par..?
You'll have to learn ...
So I just have your word for it.
No offense I will be join all those others who have already obtained an IDP , just in case...
Old Mar 9th 2019, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

So I just have your word for it.
No offense I will be join all those others who have already obtained an IDP , just in case...
.. Now, let's see if I recall this correctly... Oh yes, that's it.....
I'm talking about the real world,' ...
Old Mar 9th 2019, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Monday I will join the queue at the local post office to get my IDP ( just in case ) .
It could be a fun time across Europe this summervwhen the tens thousands of Brits turn up to collect their hire cars to be told, no correct paperwork, no car.
You voted to leave didn,t you.
Car hire firms are businesses that depend on customers paying in order to survive and thrive. Rejecting a customer will have negative profit implications. So I can just see masses of car hire companies saying, "I'm going to greatly inconvenience you, and ruin my company's profits for the year, since you voted leave, didn't you".

How is this not 'project fear'?
Old Mar 9th 2019, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
There will be lots of things like this that people have taken for granted that are a feature of being in the EU, and which could change if we leave.
So me showing up in UK and various EU locations over the years with nothing but a California Drivers License should not be construed to have any relevance? Will UK DL's be somehow on a shit list that US drivers aren't subject to?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.