Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
To busy watching the victorious EUROPEAN Ryder cup side whose banner is the EU flag.
A side firmed when it was obvious the old GB& I side was so lacking in talent and resources that it could never stand up to the US.
A metaphor for Brexit .
Too busy to bother with your rambling and distortion of facts and reality..
I wasn't watching the Ryder cup because golf bores me! The non-EU origin person in the house was glued to the screen supporting Europe!
He is the one who persuaded me against some of my doubts to vote Brexit.
That is a 'fact'!
Is it too difficult for you to understand that wanting to leave a trade association is not Xenophobic, or against Europeans? The UK voted to not be a member of the EU.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:37 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
He is the one who persuaded me against some of my doubts to vote Brexit.
You're saying you may have possibly voted Remain had your OH not persuaded you? So you can see that not everyone who voted Leave did so of their own opinions. What were his reasons for voting Leave?
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:40 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
One of the world's icons of xenophobia is married to a foreigner. His wife before that, too. And before that...

It's definitely possible for someone to have a different view of an individual to that of a group. This is not uncommon with racists/bigots where they will know exceptions to their general mindset.

There are plenty of Brits who can't stand Europeans, particularly the French. Look at how Manuel was portrayed in Fawlty Towers. Thankfully, most of the country has moved on, but there is still a rump of anti-Europeans from Nigel's generation onward. And are they ever good at voting in referendums!
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:48 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

It now appears to be 'Official'....
(55 mins old)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8562111.html
If we left a convenient number of loaded revolvers about the place, might they take the hint ???
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't watching the Ryder cup because golf bores me! ...
I'm not overly keen on golf either but the Ryder Cup is something very different.

Anyone who dismisses it because they don't like golf should really take a look. The dynamics of match play are completely different especially in this fabulous tournament. It's not the third most watched sporting event in the world (after football world cup and Olympics) for nothing.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:00 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
As the foreign-born population of the UK is a hell of a lot more than 5% - in fact just under three times that, then you will be stating that the belief is not misguided.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreig...United_Kingdom
No worries. Leaving the EU will stop all that. Well, minimise the attraction anyway.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
You're saying you may have possibly voted Remain had your OH not persuaded you? So you can see that not everyone who voted Leave did so of their own opinions. What were his reasons for voting Leave?
I had decided that the UK should leave around 18 years ago. Had some last minute doubts----'fear' of changing the status quo! It was certainly my own opinion. Probably "persuade" is the wrong word.

His reasons-----I think much the same as mine---I am guessing also it was his dislike of the general lack of independence of the UK to manage its own affairs. (He had previous experience of that!!!)
Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'm not overly keen on golf either but the Ryder Cup is something very different.

Anyone who dismisses it because they don't like golf should really take a look. The dynamics of match play are completely different especially in this fabulous tournament. It's not the third most watched sporting event in the world (after football world cup and Olympics) for nothing.
I guess watching Trump prance around his golf courses (along with the wealthy and elite) has turned me off from it. Plus there’s very little exercise benefit. I think similar could be said of polo. Much rather watch (and participate) in cycling.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post
I guess watching Trump prance around his golf courses
Do you mind, that's just put me off my dinner.
(along with the wealthy and elite) has turned me off from it.
Funny thing, during the commercial breaks, there were ads - repeatedly - from at least four investment companies.
Plus there’s very little exercise benefit.
Oh I dunno about that. I used to play the pitch and putt at Ashton Court, Bristol. Lots of hill walking on one of the two courses - quite tiring - not to mention the walking involved in getting there and back.

If you have a cart there's not much exercise.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:12 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Oh I dunno about that. I used to play the pitch and putt at Ashton Court, Bristol. Lots of hill walking on one of the two courses - quite tiring - not to mention the walking involved in getting there and back.

If you have a cart there's not much exercise.
My Mrs. has just taken it up - has just joined Long Ashton.

​​​​​​​Boring as buggery I reckon.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:50 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post

I guess watching Trump prance around his golf courses (along with the wealthy and elite) has turned me off from it. Plus there’s very little exercise benefit. I think similar could be said of polo. Much rather watch (and participate) in cycling.
I take it you have never walked around a golf course carrying a full golf bag, even pushing a trolley, up and down steep slopes covering 4-5 miles at a time,.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:50 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post

Boring as buggery I reckon.
​​​​​​​Long Ashto, you must be posh😀😀
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:52 pm
EMR
Banned

I had decided that the UK should leave around 18 years ago. Had some last minute doubts----'fear' of changing the status quo! It was certainly my own opinion. Probably "persuade" is the wrong word.

His reasons-----I think much the same as mine---I am guessing also it was his dislike of the general lack of independence of the UK to manage its own affairs. (He had previous experience of that!!!)
Given you have never given us any examples of how your have been negatively affected by EU membership , how was your OH affected.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 10:36 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post

Boring as buggery I reckon.
Yup, very small parts of this weekend were spent pretending to be a Canadian cuddled up to the TV watching the Ryder cup. That's as far as I go with golf.

Long Ashto, you must be posh😀😀
Not that I know it at all, but does that mean he'll be skint soon?
Old Sep 30th 2018, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Given you have never given us any examples of how your have been negatively affected by EU membership , how was your OH affected.
It is what is thought to be best for the country not a personal issue. It was a referendum, we all had the right to vote as we thought best, just because you disagree with the result doesn't mean that those who voted leave should be targets for verbal abuse from Remainers such as yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.