Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:37 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Your arguing semantics now? Why can't you accept you got Japanese car makers 100% wrong instead of equivocating every single press release.
The difference between "at least have to consider it" and "explicitly stated they will" is more than semantics. I'd consider moving back to the US again, but I'm not stating explicitly that I will.

Look forward to an explanation of the 80% drop in auto industry investment. Nothing to do with Brexit I suppose, just happens to coincide with the vote and the subsequent actions from the industry.
​​​
http://www.businessinsider.com/no-de...t-of-uk-2019-3
You're the one making the assertion, it's you that needs to make the explanation.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:38 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
It seems the French customs at Calais are into a Brexit rehearsal since 1 few days to show the French Government they are not prepared for Brexit.
Yesterday there were queues all the way into Belgium.
Eurostar from Paris also under attack.
At least, it will show what it means to take back control ...
- and the "no deal" passport crisis is looming:

London (CNN) — UK consumer group Which? has warned that millions of Britons could see holiday plans disrupted if they don't renew their passport by Friday.
Which? claims that 3.5 million people could be prevented from entering 26 countries in the Schengen zone -- including France, Italy and Spain -- in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
I can just see the tabloid headlines -

"HEARTLESS EU BUREAUCRATS RUIN BRITISH HOLIDAYS!"

Denied boarding a flight to Alicante, distraught Darren said "its a bloody good job I voted for Brexit - best thing I ever did".

Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:46 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
The difference between "at least have to consider it" and "explicitly stated they will" is more than semantics. I'd consider moving back to the US again, but I'm not stating explicitly that I will.

You're the one making the assertion, it's you that needs to make the explanation.
No its you who needs to wake up and smell the roses , imported ones , shipped in via the huge hub for plants and flowers in Holland.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:50 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Denied boarding a flight to Alicante, distraught Darren said "its a bloody good job I voted for Brexit - best thing I ever did".
I think you're going to be proved right EP.
Everyone is sooooo unreasonable with each other these days - Compromise appears to be a dirty word .....

Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:52 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Strange - I need a valid passport last year to travel to the EU and it looks like people will still need a valid passport now - shocker!
Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Strange - I need a valid passport last year to travel to the EU and it looks like people will still need a valid passport now - shocker!
Old Mar 7th 2019, 3:54 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you only have a few months left on it..
Remember we will now be equal to the Central African Republic , or Mongolia, a citizen of a NON EU member state.

Last edited by EMR; Mar 7th 2019 at 3:58 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:00 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Slight change in the definition of "validity", as you know.

Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:02 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Not if you only have a few months left on it..
Remember we will now be equal to the Central African Republic , or Mongolia, a citizen of a NON EU member state.
Slight change in the definition of "validity", as you know.
Quite so. My understanding (depending on which site you visit) is that you will need a minimum of 9 months validity on your date of departure.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:02 pm
Dedicated European

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
So you'll be meeting & greeting people at the airport to explain that's its all their fault.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:05 pm
Banned

So you'll be meeting & greeting people at the airport to explain that's its all their fault.
... Don't let him get out of bed again EP....
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:11 pm
Dedicated European

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... Don't let him get out of bed again EP....
Don't worry, Steve, when the s*** hits the fan the brexiteers will be keeping a very low profile.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:25 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between "at least have to consider it" and "explicitly stated they will" is more than semantics. '...
Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Pedantry...

If all you can do is spend all day searching for petty pedantry, grammar errors and typos you are getting as bad as LiW.

Why not try engaging with the substantive argument for once.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:37 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Anyone else notice how so little of anything is going on with Brexit at the moment? Not much happening politically, not much in the news (other than the regular commentary here & there). Brexit seems to have become somewhat passé.

One would think that at 5 minutes to midnight, there would be more to talk about. Perhaps it's just fatigue, but I suspect that nobody's really expecting any significant outcome. That this will just drag on forever. Ultimately becoming as boring as a box of rocks.

All great comedy series go flat after a few years. Looks like this one is getting stale too. Maybe the producers will script in a big surprise or something, just to keep it interesting for a while longer.
3 weeks, 1 day and 6.5hrs to go. Tick tock....

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Britain wont be the last to leave the EU, more will follow before long
Not in the next 2-3 years they won't..... Any protential Leavers will need to put it to their electorates, trigger A50, and wait 2 years...

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
That will only be the case if a EU free of the EU is worse off as the result. Even the so-called experts are stepping forward now and saying the impact of a no deal Brexit is significantly less than they originally claimed. And plenty are saying the uncertainty of kicking the ball down the road/accepting Theresa May's deal/holding another referendum will be far more damaging than leaving without a deal.
I know some of you Leavers don't like us being pedantic, but WTF are you on about?

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Out of curiosity, what media sources do you read? Anything from UKIP?
Probably Westmonster and Order Order.

Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:50 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
The difference is that I am engaging with the substantive argument - car manufacturers are not saying they will leave.

They are saying if the economic situation post Brexit means they make losses they will leave - that is the same as today and as ten years ago - if the economic situation at any point in time is bad they will close plants.

The issue is whether under a hard brexit this will occur, or whether a potential further Fx change will make the UK more favourable than the previous one did - let's face it, before the vote we were at euro 1.30 to the £, now we are at 1.17 - so a 10% softening of sterling making Mini cars sold in Europe XX% more attractive - perhaps a further softening will aid this further.

Alternatively perhaps the UK gov will cover the tariffs of UK exporters, using the incoming tariffs to do so - basically charging BMW a tariff on imports to negate Mini tariffs (BMW) on exports.

Of course there is a risk to car manufacturers in the UK, but as yet all the hyperbole from project fear is just that - hyperbole.

Last edited by Cape Blue; Mar 7th 2019 at 4:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.