Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
You reckon farmers and Brexiteers are happier with prisoners than EU workers in the fields ? Hmmm
Well if they can't find workers then what choice do they have? Oh how about pay a worker a living wage or is that too radical? But then the strawberries become too expensive to buy and Wimbledon patrons are pissed at paying higher prices or they have to import them.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:52 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Well if they can't find workers then what choice do they have? Oh how about pay a worker a living wage or is that too radical? But then the strawberries become too expensive to buy and Wimbledon patrons are pissed at paying higher prices or they have to import them.
I'm sure Cape has a solution that we can all work with
Old Feb 21st 2019, 3:07 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The Chinese won,t buy Dyson, they already have their own products that will flood the world,

Some years ago I was talking to companies who at the time were being courted by companies based in Malaysia with plants in China.
The story went that the Malaysians already had a version of Dysons vac in production, .
They were shown the product.
Dysons normal reaction would have been an expensive court case that would have lasted for years .
A deal was done where Dyson would move his UK production to Malaysia, the copy would disappear and everyone would be happy except of course the 1000 or so who lost their jobs in Malmesbury.
I believe your story, but I'd be surprised if the Chinese are not buying any Dyson. Then there's India and the rest of SE Asia and Japan.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 3:11 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Yes, that's the rub. In all likelihood ag-visas will be issued to the folk who was to pick. Living wages are too radical, though a subsidy through the welfare system is not. Probably easier to just not produce strawbs in the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 3:27 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Yes, that's the rub. In all likelihood ag-visas will be issued to the folk who was to pick. Living wages are too radical, though a subsidy through the welfare system is not. Probably easier to just not produce strawbs in the UK.
Employers forced to pay a living wage, the Capes of this world would be wearing yellow jackets as they discussed this attack on their liberties over an expensive lunch..
Old Feb 21st 2019, 4:21 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
You think Dyson repatriates all its profits into Sterling when it's costs and investments are often in other currencies?

Heck I have a dollar account at Barclays, you don't need to Fx.

What sort of "dicey" is it going to get for Dyson? They make their stuff in Asia and sell it globally. In the UK they have their R&D and engineering staff - if sterling drops the costs of their R&D drops when compared to the currencies they do their trade in.
OK, you win (even if over simplistically theorised).

Brexit has nothing to do with the [eerily coincidental but obviously unrelated] simultaneous relocation of businesses and exodus of trillions in capital, just prior to cliff day. Doesn't matter if they admit Brexit as a key factor or not, because we all know Brexit will be great, has no identifiable downsides for businesses, and those who'd come to any other conclusion are simply petulant remainiacs. Yeah, just that simple.

On the other hand, the UK was screwed long ago. You know, when they joined the EU. So, naturally, they'd all be wanting to leave. Has nothing to do with Brexit.

It's gonna be great.

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 21st 2019 at 4:29 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 4:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
I agree - but they can't say "As a country, we can't feed ourselves." when the "we" for them is the USA.

They can say "as a country the UK can't feed itself".

Yes they can. In fact, they (I) did, quite sucessfully, as do all the other expats on here. I am a British citizen and am entitled to talk both about my country and refer to us as we. Because we are.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 8:21 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yes they can. In fact, they (I) did, quite sucessfully, as do all the other expats on here. I am a British citizen and am entitled to talk both about my country and refer to us as we. Because we are.
Except when THEY vote the wrong way
Old Feb 21st 2019, 10:30 pm
I'm Not Dead Yet!

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
A d that's what you lot don't accept. many of us voted FOR something, and you say it was the wrong way.

I surprised no-one's suggested removing the citizenship of Remainers yet.....
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 12:05 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
A d that's what you lot don't accept. many of us voted FOR something, and you say it was the wrong way.

I surprised no-one's suggested removing the citizenship of Remainers yet.....
You lot eh? Look back through every one of my posts and tell me where I've ever not accepted how you voted. I'll save you the trouble, because you won't find it. You old son are everything you accuse leavers of being.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 12:59 am
I'm Not Dead Yet!

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

You lot eh? Look back through every one of my posts and tell me where I've ever not accepted how you voted. I'll save you the trouble, because you won't find it. You old son are everything you accuse leavers of being.
Who's the 'they' you're referring to then?

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 1:37 am
idealist

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Who's the 'they' you're referring to then?
I was referring to leave voters, should I have put up some indication that I was being facetious?
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 1:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't make sense.I can talk about "we' as a country irrespective of political and other views, no? I am also entitled to disagree with my fellow Brits, no? Some agree with me, some do not - we are still a we (no matter how misguided they are ) when we refer to the country whose citizenship we hold.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:20 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Next Wednesday will be interesting. May shall have to choose who is leading the country, she or the ERG.

https://www.ft.com/content/b662b452-...a-8b2a211d90d5

Members of the European Research Group of Tory MPs said that should Britain’s exit be pushed back, they will no longer vote for government legislation — in a move that could paralyse the prime minister’s administration.

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:29 am
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Next Wednesday will be interesting. May shall have to choose who is leading the country, she or the ERG.

https://www.ft.com/content/b662b452-...a-8b2a211d90d5

Members of the European Research Group of Tory MPs said that should Britain’s exit be pushed back, they will no longer vote for government legislation — in a move that could paralyse the prime minister’s administration.
That's a surprising development from the ERG. Perhaps there will have to be some kind of showdown between the ERG and a moderate leader/faction to determine the country's future course?

Can't access the FT paywall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.