Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by Stillgame View Post
But what about the Bus?
As we are all engulfed in nuclear fire at least we can say that our NHS was properly funded.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:00 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
But why do you hate the EU? What does it need to do to stop you hating it?
It would need to not exist or at the very least exist without my country in it.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:02 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Is that all you've got? We were promised WWIII and we still voted Leave. You're clutching at straws and you know it.
Erm, like the bendy bananas, I think that one was debunked long ago.

Who said it? And let's see the actual words spoken, in context, and not a daily mail interpretation.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:05 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
It would need to not exist or at the very least exist without my country in it.
Did you grow up in a very anti-EU household by any chance?
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Did you grow up in a very anti-EU household by any chance?
No, not especially. My brother was pro-Remain.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:20 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

It would need to not exist
So is it the EU you hate? In which case, leaving the EU isn't going to change your hate.

or at the very least exist without my country in it.
Or the fact that the UK has been a member almost all your life? In which case, leaving the EU should cure your hate.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:26 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
The bus is a metaphor for the NHS pledge, it was quite a powerful lie. Do you remember the "Labour's not working" 70s ad campaign? Similar in impact.​​​​​​
Except it's not a lie though - perhaps an exaggeration that should have focussed on the circa £200M pw net and not the £350M pw gross.

It's easy to assume everyone was well informed, that everyone studied Dave's pamphlet, and weighed up the dry forecasts from the BOE, CBI, etc...in reality many got their information from the likes of Nigel, Boris and dubious internet advertising. You seem to be in denial on this? If you're so sure the public were well informed, then now they should be even better informed, and a second referendum would see the Leave vote soar...
There was a long and well-funded remain lobby - from the vast majority of politicians through the vast majority of celebrities - Posh & Becks, Geldof, Elton, Linecker, Radcliff, Dallaglio, Jarvis Cocker, Simon Cowell, JK Rowling, Patrick Stewart, Cumberbatch, Idris Elba, Stephen Hawking - the vast majority of influential people were not Nigel and Boris and were nearly all for remain. You seem to be in denial on this?

You need to put your money where your mouth is Cape and put it to a vote. Otherwise it's just empty rationalisations of a fluke result, during the time of peak austerity and a refugee crisis which spooked the public
.That's just it though, leave doesn't need to put it to a vote as they already did and won handsomely.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:42 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

So is it the EU you hate? In which case, leaving the EU isn't going to change your hate.

Or the fact that the UK has been a member almost all your life? In which case, leaving the EU should cure your hate.
He just has a "thing" about Europe and Europeans. Had some sort of bad experience in Germany as a child, evidently.

But that's not what's amusing. It's his apparent belief that everything Europe is somehow inferior. He believes stuff that's so completely and utterly obviously false... I don't think he knows much about Europe at all, except tabloid rhetoric.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:53 pm
Reasonable Bitch

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Except it's not a lie though - perhaps an exaggeration that should have focussed on the circa £200M pw net and not the £350M pw gross.
All of which has already been lost in declining GDP. And not one penny of that nonexistent money will go to the NHS.

There was a long and well-funded remain lobby - from the vast majority of politicians through the vast majority of celebrities - Posh & Becks, Geldof, Elton, Linecker, Radcliff, Dallaglio, Jarvis Cocker, Simon Cowell, JK Rowling, Patrick Stewart, Cumberbatch, Idris Elba, Stephen Hawking - the vast majority of influential people were not Nigel and Boris and were nearly all for remain. You seem to be in denial on this?
No doubt all secretly paid handsomely by the "elite" for their performance in "project fear", which certainly none of them actually believed in.

That's just it though, leave doesn't need to put it to a vote as they already did and won handsomely.
No it didn't. It was a very narrow and widely unexpected win. A margin which even Nige said would be unacceptable had it gone the other way. And considering all the complete misrepresentations and outright porkies that sold it..

Last edited by amideislas; Sep 25th 2018 at 3:04 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

The UK has been a member of the EU since before I was born.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
He just has a "thing" about Europe and Europeans. Had some sort of bad experience in Germany as a child, evidently.
As an adult actually but I've despised the EU since I was old to know what it was.

You just keep spouting horse shit if you like though. Makes little difference to me.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:11 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
All of which has already been lost in declining GDP. And not one penny of that nonexistent money will go to the NHS.
GDP goes up and down - the EU donation only goes up. As it is, GDP is a crude measure and not reflective of the contentment of the citizenry.

No doubt all secretly paid handsomely by the "elite" for their performance in "project fear", which certainly none of them actually believed in.
Usual remainiac cuckoo stuff

No it didn't. It was a very narrow and widely unexpected win. A margin which even Nige said would be unacceptable had it gone the other way. And considering all the complete misrepresentations and outright porkies that sold it..
millions more voted to leave than to stay - literally millions. Yes, I know remainiacs now want to emulate Nigel, there's no surprise there as they are cut from the same cloth. Perhaps leave voters just have different opinions than you and prioritise other things over money, greed and avarice?
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:25 pm
Reasonable Bitch

As an adult actually but I've despised the EU since I was old to know what it was.

You just keep spouting horse shit if you like though. Makes little difference to me.
Well, you and quite a few others still don't know what it is (or just refuse to know). And that explains a lot about how Britain got itself into this mess.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

millions more voted to leave than to stay - literally millions.
I've never actually seen the numbers, just the percentages.

This made me look. Less than 1.3m difference. Not millions. Not literally millions more. Under 1.3.

Mistake or a lie? Ah yes, "just an exaggeration" like the bus.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:34 pm
Reasonable Bitch

GDP goes up and down - the EU donation only goes up. As it is, GDP is a crude measure and not reflective of the contentment of the citizenry.
yeah, all very normal, nothing to do with Brexit, nothing to see here. Move along. Oddly though, you seem to be one of the very few left who "knows that for sure".

Usual remainiac cuckoo stuff
Then what was your bloody point, Einstein?

millions more voted to leave than to stay - literally millions. Yes, I know remainiacs now want to emulate Nigel, there's no surprise there as they are cut from the same cloth. Perhaps leave voters just have different opinions than you and prioritise other things over money, greed and avarice?
Yes a margin of what? Less than 1%?

Everything is relative

If I asked people to vote on whether I should blow the tyres on my car, and 82 vote no, and 83 vote yes, would that be a "handsome" win for the "blowers"?

I once had ten million in cash in my hand. (Lira). But I still couldn't buy a car with it. Besides, the blowers would just vote to explode the tyres anyway. ...by a "handsome" margin. And I'd have to do it, or else I'd be a communist.

Last edited by amideislas; Sep 25th 2018 at 3:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.