Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Police & Law Enforcement Body Cams.

Police & Law Enforcement Body Cams.

Old Jun 10th 2020, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police & Law Enforcement Body Cams.

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
I hadn't heard about that. And true, a cell phone video might not tell the whole story. Typically a cell phone video begins only after key or trigger events have already occurred.
https://www.cambridgeindependent.co....-male-9112470/
Old Jun 10th 2020, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Would it reach Venus?

Explainer. I once read there was enough telephone cable under NYC to reach Venus.

I can believe it. We just rewired our building putting in around 250 cat5 cable drops. Each cable contains 8 wires, so probably over 100 miles of wire.

And that's not a big building.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Just varies too much to compare everything. Ive seen VPD respond to drug overdoses presumably because they were closer as they arrived first and I beleive carry the drug over dose kit.

Some places police also run the 911 call center.

Everywhere I have lived police are who respond to mental health emegencies primarily and may also be the only ones legally allowed to detain someone involuntarily to take them to the ER to see a doctor. Dont think paramedics have that power.

Of course if paramedics pick up that role we would need more ambulances and paramedics thats for sure.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
OK seems reasonable however I am just not talking about the US. What about Canada, the UK and as of March 2019 not all did. Is someone having a heart attack at home a medical emergency and why do the police need to attend? Man trips over the kerb and cuts his head open etc etc

This is the discussion going on about defunding the police and allocating funds to other areas and clearly defining their roles. The role of the police clearly needs defining and if the powers that be determine that the police need to attend all medical emergencies and mental health calls in conjunction with other agencies then redistribution of funds may be not as simple as some think.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Just varies too much to compare everything. Ive seen VPD respond to drug overdoses presumably because they were closer as they arrived first and I beleive carry the drug over dose kit.

Some places police also run the 911 call center.

Everywhere I have lived police are who respond to mental health emegencies primarily and may also be the only ones legally allowed to detain someone involuntarily to take them to the ER to see a doctor. Dont think paramedics have that power.

Of course if paramedics pick up that role we would need more ambulances and paramedics thats for sure.
Everything you have said is correct and valid. These are your experiences and should be listened too. Whatever I post next is in no way invalidating your experiences nor in anyway being critical of what you have written above. This subject is more than just the US and Canada but my examples and links use US and Canadian examples.

The drug overdose kit that the VPD carry and a lot of other police forces carry is Naloxone. This only works if the drug overdose is a result of opioids. Not all drug overdoses are opioid related so Naloxone is no good for a stimulant overdose.
https://harmreduction.org/issues/ove...ding-naloxone/
New Mexico State law says “Any person may be transported to an appropriate health care facility by an emergency medical technician, under medical direction, when the emergency medical technician makes a good faith judgment that the person is incapable of making an informed decision about his own safety or need for medical attention and is reasonably likely to suffer disability or death without the medical intervention available at such a facility.”2

https://www.jems.com/2015/03/25/know...ent-can-legal/

In BC your home Province E-Comm 911 is the 1st point of contact for 911 callers in 25 Regional districts of BC

https://www.ecomm911.ca/about-e-comm/

Again I respect your views and your experiences and this subject is much bigger than what you or I post with our best intentions.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jun 11th 2020 at 11:53 am.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

There are just way too many laws and jurisdictions in US and Canada for a one size fits all answer it all boils down to the micro level even within the same state things can differ heck even in the same county within a state things can vary city to city.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Everything you have said is correct and valid. These are your experiences and should be listened too. Whatever I post next is in no way invalidating your experiences nor in anyway being critical of what you have written above. This subject is more than just the US and Canada but my examples and links use US and Canadian examples.

The drug overdose kit that the VPD carry and a lot of other police forces carry is Naloxone. This only works if the drug overdose is a result of opioids. Not all drug overdoses are opioid related so Naloxone is no good for a stimulant overdose.
https://harmreduction.org/issues/ove...ding-naloxone/
New Mexico State law says “Any person may be transported to an appropriate health care facility by an emergency medical technician, under medical direction, when the emergency medical technician makes a good faith judgment that the person is incapable of making an informed decision about his own safety or need for medical attention and is reasonably likely to suffer disability or death without the medical intervention available at such a facility.”2

https://www.jems.com/2015/03/25/know...ent-can-legal/

In BC your home Province E-Comm 911 is the 1st point of contact for 911 callers in 25 Regional districts of BC

https://www.ecomm911.ca/about-e-comm/

Again I respect your views and your experiences and this subject is much bigger than what you or I post with our best intentions.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Since the death of George Floyd I dare say hundreds of videos have been posted on social media showing police officers all across the world using violence against others. A lot of these videos are somewhat hard to see and many without audio or taken at night where you cant actually see everything.

Yesterday another video was posted on social media. This is the actual video and reported by the media during their daily news broadcast.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg...rest-1.4981637

Like most I saw the video and thought Mmmm this doesn't look good and will cause outrage and calls for the officers to be fired, another good reason to defund the police etc etc .

The force involved then invited the media and did a live broadcast explanation with additional video footage taken from surveillance cameras in the area. These cameras are not operated by the police. This force even allowed a Q & A period after to be transparent about the incident. The full broadcast lasts approx 44 minutes with the officer making opening comments, why the police attended this incident, the video in much higher resolution, their explanation giving context and the Q & A session.
It is entirely your choice. Rely on the 1st video that the police brutally assaulted this person or watch the live broadcast as posted below and think Mmmmm

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=2636873739965633
Old Jun 24th 2020, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If this cop had a body cam maybe the whole story would be known. Luckily the young woman wasn't killed, but still seems a bit excessive from the video that is known to exist. But the court case will largely be a cop says-citizen says because our police don't typically have cameras, so was the young women a threat with a box cutter as the RCMP says, or was the young women on the bathroom floor unable to stand and in need of medical assistance? I guess a judge will have to figure out where the truth lays.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 24th 2020 at 2:51 am.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
If this cop had a body cam maybe the whole story would be known. Luckily the young woman wasn't killed, but still seems a bit excessive from the video that is known to exist
I heard that report on the radio. Dragged by hair they said but most of that was dragging the arms from behind her back. I'm surprised she didn't have both shoulders dislocated.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

STOP CALLING THE POLICE TO THESE INCIDENTS.

1. Who called the Police and why?
2. Was she in some form of distress and if so call professionals rather than the Police.
3. Why was a female officer attending on her own?

Look I am not defending her but it is the whole system that needs to be revamped. The RCMP are investigating the officers behaviour and rightly so but they said the person was considered a danger to herself and others. There would be even more outrage had they not attended and something happened. But when nobody else is available or you don't know who to call the Police become the fallback to people to be called. Yes change will take time but until then if you are concerned about a persons well being then don't call the Police. Now will come the cries of It's their job and we pay their salaries.
Thank God I am no longer a cop dealing with stuff I was never trained to do but had to because nobody else was willing to do it or were not available when needed or would take several hours to attend a scene.

Yes officers need better training and should be accountable for their actions but others also need to step forward and change the system.

UPDATED to include this article from the Globe & Mail

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-calls-people/

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jun 24th 2020 at 2:59 pm. Reason: Update with article.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can say from experience that when one calls 9-11 for a mental health emergency, the police are who get dispatched majority of the time, its not that people call police directly, its just police are who end up dispatched.

The entire mental health system in Canada is out of date, stuck in the past, and no will from society or government to change it, mental health has/is and continues to be the step child of the healthcare system.

Vancouver does make an effort, they pair a police officer with a registered nurse or psychiatric nurse in the car 87 program.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 24th 2020 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can't access Globe and Mail due to paywall, so it may have been mention in that article, and presumably others may not subscribe to Globe and Mail either, but the RCMP has put the officer in the video on desk duty pending an internal investigation. Had it not been for the law suit and court order for the apartment complex to provide the video, the RCMP would have just swept it under the rug, and they seem to have since now they seem to only be investigating due to the video being public.