Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Planet of the humans

Planet of the humans

Old May 5th 2020, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planet of the humans

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
It's really worth it, trust me.

On Prime, check out Tales from the Loop. It has a similar feel to Dark, but different subject matter. Though it's quite depressing as well, I will warn you.
It looks really good, thanks.

If you have Prime, take a look at "One Child Nation". Also depressing, appalling actually - but incredibly, it happened.
Old May 6th 2020, 2:32 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
It looks really good, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1htuNZp82Ck
If it's your kind of thing it's based on the art of Simon Stalenhag. I have his book 'The Electric State' and it's absolutely my kind of thing.

The show itself was very good though, a different feel and pace to what you may be used to, but in a good way.

If you have Prime, take a look at "One Child Nation". Also depressing, appalling actually - but incredibly, it happened.
That does look very depressing. Maybe I'll give it a watch when I'm feeling mentally strong enough, but given that the latest season of After Life (Ricky Gervais' show) near enough broke me, it might be a while
Old May 7th 2020, 5:02 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

That does look very depressing. Maybe I'll give it a watch when I'm feeling mentally strong enough, but given that the latest season of After Life (Ricky Gervais' show) near enough broke me, it might be a while
Thank you. Saved me from that torment then.
I don't find him hilariously funny as I think ALL of his characters are basically the same (which is just him)...the first series sent me into some real doom, I was on my own, hungover and the mrs was in the UK. I think I blasted the season in a day and wanted to jump.
Old May 7th 2020, 2:01 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Thank you. Saved me from that torment then.
I don't find him hilariously funny as I think ALL of his characters are basically the same (which is just him)...the first series sent me into some real doom, I was on my own, hungover and the mrs was in the UK. I think I blasted the season in a day and wanted to jump.
I like him and it still had plenty of funny moments, but if you thought the first series was depressing, the second is much moreso.
Old May 7th 2020, 2:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I like him and it still had plenty of funny moments, but if you thought the first series was depressing, the second is much moreso.
Isn't that weird. I thought it was a bit more upbeat. Relatively speaking, of course.
Old May 7th 2020, 2:27 pm
Grove 4 Life

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Isn't that weird. I thought it was a bit more upbeat. Relatively speaking, of course.
Even counting the very last moment of the last episode, it was much more depressing to me. Mostly the lend of the episodes. Could also be due to my current mental state as well of course.
Old May 7th 2020, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So back on topic is our planet over populated? Yes in certain areas, not enough in certain areas, just about right or we really need to keep it under control (but how).
Old May 7th 2020, 5:18 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
So back on topic is our planet over populated? Yes in certain areas, not enough in certain areas, just about right or we really need to keep it under control (but how).
Over populated.

Encourage less breeding via stick and carrot.

Have a sensible discussion around end of life.
Old May 7th 2020, 5:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
“Mother, this care home looks nice. Plus, they seem to have plenty of vacancies just now.”
Old May 7th 2020, 5:25 pm
Grove 4 Life

Over populated.

Overpopulation is more of a localized issue though. It's more of a problem in countries like Nigeria or Bangladesh than it is in somewhere like the USA, and it tends to be a factor of population density as well. I can't remember where I read it but I swear I remember seeing somewhere that the world could actually support something like 20 billion people, but of course population density needs to be considered as always.

That being said, education and availability of birth control is never a bad thing, because it will also help stop the spread of things like AIDS as well if done right. If by a sensible discussion around end of life you mean talking about euthanasia and the right to die for terminal patients, I am with you there. Not even considering overpopulation, I think it's something we should all have the right to decide to do if things get to that point.

Old May 7th 2020, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Over populated.

End of life? You mean Logans Run style end of life?
Old May 7th 2020, 5:42 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

End of life? You mean Logans Run style end of life?
I assume more the ability to die with dignity, and a building a culture that can include the wish to not live at all costs.
Old May 7th 2020, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Overpopulation is more of a localized issue though. It's more of a problem in countries like Nigeria or Bangladesh than it is in somewhere like the USA, and it tends to be a factor of population density as well. I can't remember where I read it but I swear I remember seeing somewhere that the world could actually support something like 20 billion people, but of course population density needs to be considered as always.

That being said, education and availability of birth control is never a bad thing, because it will also help stop the spread of things like AIDS as well if done right. If by a sensible discussion around end of life you mean talking about euthanasia and the right to die for terminal patients, I am with you there. Not even considering overpopulation, I think it's something we should all have the right to decide to do if things get to that point.
Its hard to see how the planet could support 20 billion people at our standards of living. Maybe 20 billion poor rural 3rd world peasants. Not sure of the exact figure but we relatively well off rich peasants use somewhere in the region of 20 times the resources of the poor ones, and while we are shrinking in size the poor have 2 or 3 times the children we have - partly due to higher mortality rates and lack of social safety nets and pensions, etc.

Globalisation versus Localisation are also issues with things like mass global tourism and food provision needing to be made more local. If living in the UK, better to go on holiday to St Ives and buy our carrots - grown in Swansea than to holiday in St Lucia and get the carrots from Sydney.

Continuous economic growth is also a flawed model.
Old May 7th 2020, 6:02 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

It's noticeable that, apart from some religious groups, high numbers of children are normally in those places where child mortality has historically been high..... once this risk declines, so do the numbers of children. Whilst the Chinese attempt to limit children was somewhat draconian, it seems odd that western nations still "reward" those who have large numbers of offspring, be it in one or multiple relationships. On the one hand, the children should not be "punished", but on the other hand, they tend not to benefit from support anyway. Non-replacement is a way to reduce populations, but as seen in those countries with a declining native population, there is a friction between this and longer life. But overpopulation doesn't seem an insoluble nut to crack, given the will to do so.

I also think there needs to be a discussion around quality of life and individual choice. The danger with moving towards any form of assisted suicide, etc. is that psychological pressures build to influence so-called "personal choice".... and it's hard to see how that could be avoided, however there are areas where keeping someone alive regardless seems cruel, if not just a waste of resource. The problem is, who decides? It's like the idea of aborting those foetuses known to have severe abnormalities or "allowing" the maintenance of abnormal genes in the pool...... it quickly gets close to eugenics.
Old May 7th 2020, 6:05 pm
Grove 4 Life

Its hard to see how the planet could support 20 billion people at our standards of living. Maybe 20 billion poor rural 3rd world peasants. Not sure of the exact figure but we relatively well off rich peasants use somewhere in the region of 20 times the resources of the poor ones, and while we are shrinking in size the poor have 2 or 3 times the children we have - partly due to higher mortality rates and lack of social safety nets and pensions, etc.
I wasn't presenting as fact, it was just buried in the back of my memory, but you're probably right.

There is nothing so symbolic of how screwed up our world is where you and I can both be in the global 1%, but yet nowhere near our local 1%. Inequality is rampant, I feel like we should solve that before we worry about anything else. Also climate change, overpopulation won't happen when none of us can breathe anymore, or it's 60C in summer.

Globalisation versus Localisation are also issues with things like mass global tourism and food provision needing to be made more local. If living in the UK, better to go on holiday to St Ives and buy our carrots - grown in Swansea than to holiday in St Lucia and get the carrots from Sydney.
There's nothing really inherently wrong with global tourism. Travel is an additive experience, not a subtractive one.

Continuous economic growth is also a flawed model.
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell". We'll make an anarchist out of you yet, comrade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.