Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Planet of the humans

Planet of the humans

Old May 3rd 2020, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planet of the humans

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Look! Another one of your stereotypes that turns out to be complete nonsense. Do you actually know any ex-smokers who are fanatical anti-smokers now? Or is that just a stereotype that you heard about (that everybody has heard about --- but most people have more sense than you) and you have adopted because it gives you some feeling of moral superiority? The notion that ex-smokers are a bunch of fanatical hypocrites obviously resonated with you ... hmmm ... that explains a lot about you.

In my experience, most people who truly hate smoking tend to be people who have never smoked which actually makes a lot more logical sense if you think about it. Even those are pretty rare and probably "anti" lots of things. These are my opinions and experiences but I still wouldn't try to win any internet points with them. *ahem*

I'm sure that some anti-smoking fanatics are also ex-smokers but they're actually pretty rare. Now that you know that, will you change your prejudices? Or ignore the truth and continue to put everybody in your little categories so that you can ineffectively troll them later?
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
How do you plan to control world population without birth control?

Michael Moore is definitely pro-choice.
Not birth control - conception control. That is where the conversation should begin. And no, I'm not suggesting involuntary sterilisations and/or forced contraception.

Fair enough for Michael - he is entitled to his free opinion. What is the difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion?
Old May 3rd 2020, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
But ok with pushing migrants' boats back into the sea, or shutting up said "innocent babies", children and families in internment camps indefinitely, or happy to leave them in war-torn or starvation-ravaged countries so we don't have that nasty "economic migration" of all the wrong sorts of people.
Crikey, what are you on about?

Aren't you pleased that by Australia stopping the boats, thousands of men, women and children are no longer drowning on the high seas? And what is this "wrong sorts" that you're repeatedly tormenting yourself with?
Old May 4th 2020, 4:44 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
I must admit the only thing I come close to preachy with, is mentioning how much it costs to smoke in Australia ($35 a packet). To feed a 20 a day habit that is near to the equivalent of an entry level new car every single year.

....Oh, and I've given several friends a copy of "Easyway to stop smoking". If it can help me to easily stop with no relapses, it can do the same for anyone.
I think post-lockdown I'm going to have a good look at options to cut it out.

My first trip to Oz was 2 weeks and I knew prices were mental so brought my own, paid a decent size whack in import tax / duty. Second time I came I went to declare, was stopped and asked how many I had, said about 100 and they just told me to go through.
Old May 4th 2020, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I think post-lockdown I'm going to have a good look at options to cut it out.

My first trip to Oz was 2 weeks and I knew prices were mental so brought my own, paid a decent size whack in import tax / duty. Second time I came I went to declare, was stopped and asked how many I had, said about 100 and they just told me to go through.
Haha, that is such an Australian behaviour!

It's been my experience all the way here in Australia. Tell the truth and they're kind to you, but tell them porkies and it's pigs trotters for you!
Old May 4th 2020, 7:32 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's a fascinating story. Was it like "pardon me, I'm off to speak to a few strangers in the hut next door"?
He was a lovely guy and a charismatic teacher. We all thought he was an Ex-Nazi. (And he kind of encouraged this - we would mock him by doing Nazi salutes behind his back, or whatever.) He looked a bit like Hitler, same haircut and toothbrush mustache, and he drove a VW beetle (which was not super common in England in the early 60s.) He lost his temper, yelled at kids, had them punished etc. Insisted on smoking in class even after that was banned by the school. Turns out, he was an Austrian communist activist who managed to get out of Austria in 1938 or 1939 and served in British intelligence during the war. I don’t know whether he was a musician, but he loved jazz and took boys to jazz clubs and such - all strictly against regulations. No one was surprised by unexplained behavior from him, which often involved him meeting up with people and talking in German or Serbo-Croat or Russian.
Old May 4th 2020, 7:56 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, that is such an Australian behaviour!

It's been my experience all the way here in Australia. Tell the truth and they're kind to you, but tell them porkies and it's pigs trotters for you!
First time coming through I thought about telling porkies on the slip, but decided against it. Declared all the fags I had and paid, nobody checked the amount, could have had 10,000 but such is. Made me comfortable to do it again and got rewarded.

Even paying the duty made them miles cheaper than in Oz.

The mistake I truly made was turning up in May (I think) without a coat expecting it to be pleasant.
Old May 4th 2020, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
It's a difficult one isn't it?

The trouble is that idiots believe this stuff - whether it's people sticking lights up their arse or chugging domestos because a deranged ignoramus suggested it might be a good idea, to the nonsense churned out by Alex Jones, David Icke, or any number of quack snake-oil salesmen.

There are rules about misinformation in certain areas - for instance in the UK if you make a claim in an advertisement you must have firm evidence that the claim is justified.

Maybe this could be expanded into other areas.

Fake information is being removed from facebook now - and this is much the same.
It's a pity they don't do the same on ExPats
Old May 4th 2020, 4:58 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, the trailers look good. I haven't had a Netflix subscription for a few years now and I'm getting tired of Amazon Prime, so I might swap over for a bit.
It's really worth it, trust me.

On Prime, check out Tales from the Loop. It has a similar feel to Dark, but different subject matter. Though it's quite depressing as well, I will warn you.

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Dark, as in the German sci-fi series?

If so, we really enjoyed the first season, and the second is on our "viewing rotation schedule".
Proper bonkers, but in a very German thoughtful way. And so twisty. And very... dark.
Yes, that's the one. Season two is really good, if you enjoyed the first you will enjoy it too. I loved the pace, and the German-ness of it too.

The third and final season is coming out in June I think.

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Will see if I can access. Thank you. Sounds like my sort of thing.
I can't recommend it highly enough.

Old May 4th 2020, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
He was a lovely guy and a charismatic teacher. We all thought he was an Ex-Nazi. (And he kind of encouraged this - we would mock him by doing Nazi salutes behind his back, or whatever.) He looked a bit like Hitler, same haircut and toothbrush mustache, and he drove a VW beetle (which was not super common in England in the early 60s.) He lost his temper, yelled at kids, had them punished etc. Insisted on smoking in class even after that was banned by the school. Turns out, he was an Austrian communist activist who managed to get out of Austria in 1938 or 1939 and served in British intelligence during the war. I don’t know whether he was a musician, but he loved jazz and took boys to jazz clubs and such - all strictly against regulations. No one was surprised by unexplained behavior from him, which often involved him meeting up with people and talking in German or Serbo-Croat or Russian.
Sounds like a colourful character. I doubt that we would get such teachers in the strictly conformist system we have today - which is a pity really because we could do with more mavericks in the system to help balance and challenge thinking.
Old May 4th 2020, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First time coming through I thought about telling porkies on the slip, but decided against it. Declared all the fags I had and paid, nobody checked the amount, could have had 10,000 but such is. Made me comfortable to do it again and got rewarded.

Even paying the duty made them miles cheaper than in Oz.

The mistake I truly made was turning up in May (I think) without a coat expecting it to be pleasant.
It's very hit and miss in Sydney in May. Always make sure you have at least a warm jacket and be ready for rainy days just like we have in the UK. And if you come to Canberra in winter, bring your warmest clothing and a pair of sunglasses
Old May 5th 2020, 5:53 am
WWLLCJD?

It's very hit and miss in Sydney in May. Always make sure you have at least a warm jacket and be ready for rainy days just like we have in the UK. And if you come to Canberra in winter, bring your warmest clothing and a pair of sunglasses
I went and bought a jacket in one of the malls. It was needed as I went up to Manly to watch the Sea Eagles play. Was chilly.
Old May 5th 2020, 11:02 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I just started watching "Pagan Peak" from the same producers as "Dark". It's a German -Austrian spin on "The Bridge" format. This time a ritual murder.on the border in the middle of the Alps
Old May 5th 2020, 11:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I just started watching "Pagan Peak" from the same producers as "Dark". It's a German -Austrian spin on "The Bridge" format. This time a ritual murder.on the border in the middle of the Alps
So that's Bron/Broen....The Bridge (US remake)...The Bridge (Singapore/Malaysia)...Moct (Russian remake) and The Tunnel (UK remake).

Any others? Was Bon Cop, Bad Cop the first? Probably not.
Old May 5th 2020, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I went and bought a jacket in one of the malls. It was needed as I went up to Manly to watch the Sea Eagles play. Was chilly.
Manly is great. There's an awesome walk around the peninsular there. Done it a few times now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.