Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Planet of the humans

Planet of the humans

Old May 2nd 2020, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planet of the humans

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Anyway, back on topic. Mods .... please change the title of the thread to PAULRY SUPPORTS ABORTION RIGHTS!
Don't get excited now. I'm opposed to killing innocent babies - and anyone else for that matter - except perhaps pedophiles, murderers and rapists. And even then there would have to be absolutely zero possibility they are innocent.
Old May 2nd 2020, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Sort of reminds me of ex smokers, I have never smoked and do not like it but the people who go completely over board about always seem to have smoked at one time.
I'm an ex-smoker, and smoked 20 a day for over 30 years. I know the kind of ex smokers you speak of, and frequently come across them. Fortunately I'm not like that and have always said to my friends to take me out and shoot me if I ever turn into a holier than though type. I feel liberated from nicotine dependency so I doubt I will ever smoke again, and don't ever crave a cigarette.
Old May 3rd 2020, 9:29 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Another ex-smoker here. Pipe, cigars, roll-ups - anything really.

I really don't come across other people smoking these days - it's not allowed anywhere I go.

It's not very pleasant walking through the fug at the entrance to a pub but it doesn't really bother me TBH.
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:38 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Smoker here. Anyone who starts preaching is only annoying because they're right.
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:55 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Smoker here. Anyone who starts preaching is only annoying because they're right.
I had a teacher at school, Willi Bleyberg, who was a fanatical pro-smoking advocate. The National Archives in Washington have a lengthy essay by him that he submitted to the congressional hearings on smoking, sometime in the 70s maybe? After his death it emerged that he was a Soviet /British double agent during the war, and it was thought that the Russians murdered him during one of his annual Yugoslavian mountaineering trips. Just a few years earlier I’d accompanied him on one such expedition, and at the time I didn’t quite understand who he was meeting in the alpine huts and what he was sharing. He was one of two teachers (both war heroes, coincidentally) who changed my life.
Old May 3rd 2020, 2:00 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Sort of reminds me of ex smokers, I have never smoked and do not like it but the people who go completely over board about always seem to have smoked at one time.
Look! Another one of your stereotypes that turns out to be complete nonsense. Do you actually know any ex-smokers who are fanatical anti-smokers now? Or is that just a stereotype that you heard about (that everybody has heard about --- but most people have more sense than you) and you have adopted because it gives you some feeling of moral superiority? The notion that ex-smokers are a bunch of fanatical hypocrites obviously resonated with you ... hmmm ... that explains a lot about you.

In my experience, most people who truly hate smoking tend to be people who have never smoked which actually makes a lot more logical sense if you think about it. Even those are pretty rare and probably "anti" lots of things. These are my opinions and experiences but I still wouldn't try to win any internet points with them. *ahem*

I'm sure that some anti-smoking fanatics are also ex-smokers but they're actually pretty rare. Now that you know that, will you change your prejudices? Or ignore the truth and continue to put everybody in your little categories so that you can ineffectively troll them later?

I'm an ex-smoker and I hate the anti-smoking brigade. As a matter of fact, if I live to be 80 years old, I plan to take it up again. Oh and I've never been a member of any political party.

Have you always had the need to put people in little boxes and categories? Is it a brain issue? You can't understand things that don't fit into your patterns? And, even if they don't fit the pattern, you just stuff them in there anyway and pretend it works? Simply ignoring anything that doesn't "work" for you? Otherwise your brain will explode?
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

I've set the bar a little lower - at 70. Hope they're still available and I can still afford a pack by then.
Originally Posted by paulry View Post
I'm an ex-smoker, and smoked 20 a day for over 30 years. I know the kind of ex smokers you speak of, and frequently come across them. Fortunately I'm not like that and have always said to my friends to take me out and shoot me if I ever turn into a holier than though type. I feel liberated from nicotine dependency so I doubt I will ever smoke again, and don't ever crave a cigarette.
Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Another ex-smoker here. Pipe, cigars, roll-ups - anything really.

I really don't come across other people smoking these days - it's not allowed anywhere I go.

It's not very pleasant walking through the fug at the entrance to a pub but it doesn't really bother me TBH.
Old May 3rd 2020, 2:03 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get excited now. I'm opposed to killing innocent babies - and anyone else for that matter - except perhaps pedophiles, murderers and rapists. And even then there would have to be absolutely zero possibility they are innocent.
How do you plan to control world population without birth control?

Michael Moore is definitely pro-choice.
Old May 3rd 2020, 2:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

But ok with pushing migrants' boats back into the sea, or shutting up said "innocent babies", children and families in internment camps indefinitely, or happy to leave them in war-torn or starvation-ravaged countries so we don't have that nasty "economic migration" of all the wrong sorts of people.
Old May 3rd 2020, 2:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

How do you plan to control world population without birth control?

Michael Moore is definitely pro-choice.
I think he's planning on walls and fences. "Nation states" keeping "them" out.

Only some of them need birth control you know. The other kind. They matter less.
Old May 3rd 2020, 4:12 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - you've lost me Lion. Is there a joke I'm missing?

Old May 3rd 2020, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

I've set the bar a little lower - at 70. Hope they're still available and I can still afford a pack by then.
I'm hoping to make 70 ... Still smoking but hoping to quit (again).
Old May 3rd 2020, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Nope - you've lost me Lion. Is there a joke I'm missing?
Don't have a clue what this thread is about. Just wondered in wondering and still wondering.
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I must admit the only thing I come close to preachy with, is mentioning how much it costs to smoke in Australia ($35 a packet). To feed a 20 a day habit that is near to the equivalent of an entry level new car every single year.

....Oh, and I've given several friends a copy of "Easyway to stop smoking". If it can help me to easily stop with no relapses, it can do the same for anyone.
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Don't have a clue what this thread is about. Just wondered in wondering and still wondering.
As the thread starter I have no issue whatsoever with people drifting off topic for a bit every so often, getting political - or not, etc.. After all, that is how natural and free conversations flow.
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I had a teacher at school, Willi Bleyberg, who was a fanatical pro-smoking advocate. The National Archives in Washington have a lengthy essay by him that he submitted to the congressional hearings on smoking, sometime in the 70s maybe? After his death it emerged that he was a Soviet /British double agent during the war, and it was thought that the Russians murdered him during one of his annual Yugoslavian mountaineering trips. Just a few years earlier I’d accompanied him on one such expedition, and at the time I didn’t quite understand who he was meeting in the alpine huts and what he was sharing. He was one of two teachers (both war heroes, coincidentally) who changed my life.
Wow, that's a fascinating story. Was it like "pardon me, I'm off to speak to a few strangers in the hut next door"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.