Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Penn State Uni Paedophile Scandal

Penn State Uni Paedophile Scandal

Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penn State Uni Paedophile Scandal

This thing gets very murky very quickly

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2011/11...to-donors.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sp...missing&st=cse
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:18 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
I was hoping few words of precis would have been given, but a quick look at those links is enough. "pimping out" to donors
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk View Post
Why is HE being held responsible because he didn't send the guy to the police?
Why didn't the guy go to the police in the first place?
YES, Joe Paterno should have told him to go to the police, but wasn't like Joe did nothing, he reported to HIS boss.
Originally Posted by nethead View Post
Exactly. Which is what I was trying to say but seems like 'cause Joe's the figure head of Penn State football he's getting all the flack.

Exactly to this too. And your comment before is how I belief it to have happened too from what I read. It seems like everyone has an opinion on this based mostly on what other people have said and not on the facts.
The problem is that he was part of a cover up. He put his job, and the reputation of the university, before the safety of human beings. It's very much like the Catholic church except they never punish anybody involved in their cover-ups.

What I'd like to know, and what we'll never know, was Paterno the one that orchestrated the cover up or was he pressured by senior university officials?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:16 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead View Post
Joepa is a legend in PA and held in very high regard by PennState students and alumni, people have a very strong affection for him. I think they feel he followed regulations and fulfilled his legal requirements in reporting the matter at the time, he shouldn't be the one who seems to be getting blamed now, after all he wasn't the one who carried out the abuse.

I'm not saying they are right or wrong just trying to explain being in PA and having in-laws and friends that are huge PennState fans, I hate American football myself.
I think this is where it starts getting complicated, because when I worked in the social work field (with abused kids in State College, no less) if I recall correctly, you are legally required to report stuff like this to the police. Whether this is just in PA, just within the social work field or what I'm not sure, which is why they're all in trouble. (I might also be getting this wrong it was a good few years ago.)

Personally I think the President of the University is ultimately more responsible for the cover up. However Joe Paterno is going to illicit more of a reaction from people hence why he's getting all the headlines. Its all such a giant cluster**** and a massive, massive shame.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:21 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I find it kind of odd that if the President of the university had done the right thing with the information given to him by Paterno and passed it along to the authorities for further investigation, Paterno would have been a hero. Since the President did not do that, Paterno is getting fired.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:24 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post
I find it kind of odd that if the President of the university had done the right thing with the information given to him by Paterno and passed it along to the authorities for further investigation, Paterno would have been a hero. Since the President did not do that, Paterno is getting fired.
There are some issue that do not get passed up the hierarchy and forgotten, somethings have to go out, if the higher ups don't; and this seems to be the perfect example.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Which leads me to my next question, why aren't people makiing a HUGE deal out of the fact that Joe reported it to authorities who did nothing????????
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:58 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Which leads me to my next question, why aren't people makiing a HUGE deal out of the fact that Joe reported it to authorities who did nothing????????
He reported it to his bosses who've also been fired.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:01 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
Its looking very grim. No doubt in my mind that if those rumors are true its definitely a pedophile ring.
There's probably the sounds of hard drives being smashed all over PA right now. Very grim indeed.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly tongue in cheek last paragraph of the Christian Science Monitor article;

Washington and Lee's Mr. Ruscio hopes the debate is not confined to big-time athletics at Division I universities. “I think it’s bigger than that,” he says. “It could have happened in the History Department.”
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Celebrities? They are one step down from God. These guys often command the highest salary at the uni.

http://www.examiner.com/sports-cultu...lege-athletics
This is why I think college athletics for the "big" sports is a complete and utter disgrace. They like to claim that it's all amateur, but the reality is that it's anything but. As you point out, the coaches are often the best paid people at the university, and the sports generate $$$ for the colleges renowned for their football/basketball programs. And of course there are many cases of supposedly amateur players being paid in "other" ways. The whole thing is shamateurism. Colleges should be concentrating on academics ffs.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 10th 2011 at 7:58 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, but when Joe realized that his higher-ups had done nothing to this guy after a week or so, then Joe, along with the witness (McQueary) should have gone straight to the police.

That's what pisses me off. They basically thought "I've done my bit by telling university officials, and that's all I need to do." and brushed off any further responsibility. That's why I think he deserved to be fired. He's lucky they don't charge him, along with the witness, for conspiracy to cover up the crime by not coming forward to the police after the university did nothing.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:00 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to read just horrible horrible shit read the grand jury PDF for Sandusky.

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.co...resentment.pdf

He didn't start or end with raping a ten year old. Sandusky also set up a charity as a safe place for boys from troubled or broken homes. Vulnerable kids. And he did so so that he could rape them.

The anger at the university is easy to understand. The cover up (for whatever reason) is just unbelievable. You read the synopsis and everybody knew. Football coaches, the university hierarchy, the janitorial staff, charity members - even other university football coaches. Even Sandusky's wife knew and contacted a boy herself. It's just insane.

And none of them called the cops. The "how DARE you fire him" reaction to Paterno is revolting.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:02 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
This is why I think college athletics for the "big" sports is a complete and utter disgrace. They like to claim that it's all amateur, but the reality is that it's anything but. As you point out, the coaches are often the best paid people at the university, and the sports generate $$$ for the colleges renowned for their football/basketball programs. And of course there are many cases of supposedly amateur players being paid in "other" ways. The whole thing is shamateurism. Colleges should be concentrating on academics ffs.
Words cannot adequately express how emphatically I agree with you there. Especially that last statement.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
When my daughter was at middle school and high school I always got the impression that sport was the be all and end all. I remember one time when she was about 13...parents were videoing their kids during sports. When I asked why I was told it was for college admission. When my daughter was sick in bed with flu I got a call from her grade teacher asking if she could attend the game. Sod missing maths and English...as long as she could make the game.

Like most US unis/colleges the stadium at Penn State is world class and seats around 100,000. That should tell you something.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.