Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Open Borders ?

Open Borders ?

Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open Borders ?

I was stopped at a checkpoint on the motorway coming into Spain from France 2 years ago. They were a bit miffed about my Yemen stamps and asked a few questions but 2 minutes and we were en route again. Btw they were stopping everyone.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Some 17 years ago I was working in Istanbul, I had been there about 9 months and my wife popped over for a month or so. One weekend we went to Kushadasi and decided to hop on a ferry and go to a nearby Greek island. My wife went through passport control first, when I went they stopped me because my 6 month visa had expired, they would not let me leave the country. One of the passport control guys said he would go with my wife for the day!!!! Of course she came back into Turkey.
When she came to leave a few weeks later they caused a problem at Istanbul passport control because she had no entry stamp, the Casanovas at Kushadasi had failed to stamp her passport when she had come back through the control point. It took about 30 mins with various officials shouting at each other before they let her through again without a stamp in her passport.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:55 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

OK, presuming you didn't just make that up, I get stopped occasionally at "checkpoints" too. No, not specifically at borders, but usually at roundabouts. They're primarily interested in whether I have ITV and have paid road tax, but in the process, they usually want to see some ID. If passport and drivers licence is the first thing available, that's what I give them.

I reckon if you're not driving a Spanish plated car, they'd be pretty interested in that passport first and foremost. The Germans and French certainly seem to follow same M.O.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK I'm making this up!!!!! they put barriers across the road to funnel traffic into a single lane where the Spanish offices are at the border.
I agree with you about car checks on roundabouts by local police/Guardia civil and here the Rangers. the French are very keen on checks at toll booth stations in Provence, but I have never been stopped by them. I drive a Spanish registered vehicle. At Ventimiglia the GdF are often at the exits of the ticket booths. Russian registered vehicles appear to be their favoured Game along with luxury Italian and monaco registered bolides.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 6:16 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you're making it up, but it kind of sounds like you're stretching or confusing one thing with another, presumably aspiring to "prove" your point about those imaginary secret border controls that nobody experiences - except you.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just believe that on a particular day they had received a tip off about someone, maybe from ETA or some other dodgy body of crazies, trying to enter Spain from France etc.
Btw, do you drive on Spanish, French or Italian motorways regularly like us? Xmas, Easter, Ferragosto, Grandsons birthday just for starters thats 4 times a year, chuck in 3 funerals in the last 14 months too.................
I think the only borders in Mallorca are those that restrict under age drinking!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 6:44 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

All of this is pointless conflation - checks are not part of border controls or to do with immigration, because the authorities can stop anyone at any time. "operation stop" is quite a regular thing here in the Alentejo, so the GNR can check all documents (IPO (MOT), tax, insurance, licensing, ownership), vehicle condition, etc. etc. - and, as always, the first requirement is to identify yourself via ID card or Passport. If they pick anyone up for anything else it's a bonus.....
and nobody thinks there's a border on the IC1 between Lisbon and the Algarve!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
I don't know if you're making it up, but it kind of sounds like you're stretching or confusing one thing with another, presumably aspiring to "prove" your point about those imaginary secret border controls that nobody experiences - except you.
Did you read this? there are many other instances on the www.

seems like we are not the only ones.......

https://travel.stackexchange.com/que...t-milan-flight
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:05 am
Reasonable Bitch

Aww damn! It's on the internet, so it's gotta be true.

OK, you win. Secret immigration checks are the norm. Another reason why the EU is a disaster - passport control at every border. Good job we're leaving that mess.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Aww damn! It's on the internet, so it's gotta be true.

OK, you win. Secret immigration checks are the norm. Another reason why the EU is a disaster - passport control at every border. Good job we're leaving that mess.
I don't get the secret bit? As I said previously they probably had good reasons to instigate the checks for those flights, perhaps there were other logistical reasons. We did complain but got no reply.
If you fly so regularly, then you have been lucky.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:57 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You've got it all wrong!

It's not the checks that are the problem - nobody could possibly object to those. It's the fact that they deliberately don't check the obvious terrorists that they've let flood in to the EU unchecked in the first place.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 9:13 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
You've got it all wrong!

It's not the checks that are the problem - nobody could possibly object to those. It's the fact that they deliberately don't check the obvious terrorists that they've let flood in to the EU unchecked in the first place.
The bit in bold. Interesting claim?
How are they obvious?
Who deliberately didn't check them?
How many terrorists constitute a 'flood'?
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:06 pm
Reasonable Bitch

This thread is all confusing now.

If the "open borders" aren't troubling enough, wait till you find out that they secretly aren't open at all.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:08 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
The bit in bold. Interesting claim?
How are they obvious?
Who deliberately didn't check them?
How many terrorists constitute a 'flood'?
I do not think you understand Irony.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:25 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is all confusing now.

If the "open borders" aren't troubling enough, wait till you find out that they secretly aren't open at all.
Only one way to deal with that - scrap the EU. Better get on with it before the UK finds itself out all on its own, too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.