Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Open Borders ?

Open Borders ?

Old Jul 8th 2017, 8:24 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open Borders ?

I didn't understand maybe's post. There is no passport control between Schenegen area airports (for the geographically challenged, that includes Barcelona and Nice).

And there is no passport control between Malaga and other Schengen area airports either.

Haven't a clue where Maybe's statement came from.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Well yeah. Everyone knows you should check people based on their apparent ethnicity and clothes. Especially because plane bombers or mad knifers are obviously going to,choose the gear that makes them stand out the most and not try to blend in with the crowd.

If memory serves, all the recent atrocities of this kind have been carried out by people wearing jeans and casual shirts.
I think it is a matter of airport security. There should be no exceptions. What is the point of passport photos if the face of the passport holder is not seen.
There should be no problem for a woman to be available to check the passport of the traveller concerned.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 9:08 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
I seem to remember Fred pointing out this incident as an example of lax EU border controls.

But in this case, any "failure" had nothing to do with the EU. This again, is a UK thing, disguised as another EU failure.
How so? If the ferry was going between France and Ireland, then what did the UK have to do with it?

The issue in future is that the Irish cannot impinge on free movement, so UK pipedreams of immigration issues being exported and handled on the Irish borders á la Calais are unlikely to match the reality - which will be that citizens of the EU and EAA will not requires visas to enter Ireland and will be waved through on ID cards.

If the Republic/NI border is left open, there will be nothing to stop them crossing into the UK. So then the question is - do you have immigration controls between NI and the rest of the UK or do you beef up checks within the UK as a whole? As the former is unlikely and the latter would be costly, I forsee a fudge. On the other hand, a hard border would go against 90 years of the CTA and threaten the peace in NI, whilst crippling both economies. For those who think Brexit is a nightmare for the UK, at least you had a vote! Ireland has it's economy threatened, long-standing agreements in danger, possible risk to the GFA, it's own borders under scrutiny - and less jobs in the EU due to Brexit - and didn't even get a say in it!!
Old Jul 8th 2017, 9:21 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
For those who think Brexit is a nightmare for the UK, at least you had a vote! Ireland has it's economy threatened, long-standing agreements in danger, possible risk to the GFA, it's own borders under scrutiny - and less jobs in the EU due to Brexit - and didn't even get a say in it!!
For balance, there should also be plenty of opportunities for the Irish post-Brexit ('ard). A lot of our loss could be your gain.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...land-1.2985509
Old Jul 8th 2017, 10:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I think it is a matter of airport security. There should be no exceptions. What is the point of passport photos if the face of the passport holder is not seen.
There should be no problem for a woman to be available to check the passport of the traveller concerned.
I don't mind it being possible to see faces at borders, but we should be clear that you can't tell from someone's face whether or not they are a terrorist.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 10:37 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
I didn't understand maybe's post. There is no passport control between Schenegen area airports (for the geographically challenged, that includes Barcelona and Nice).

And there is no passport control between Malaga and other Schengen area airports either.

Haven't a clue where Maybe's statement came from.
I'm guessing he's got himself all confused between airport security (prior to departure) and passport control (on arrival). Lots of these terms are interchangeable as far as some posters are concerned - just look at the confusion that arises between "freedom of movement" and "open borders", for example

It's also a well-known fact that neither security nor passport control staff dare ask foreigners for id or bother checking what's beneath their face coverings because of PC.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 11:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I'm guessing he's got himself all confused between airport security (prior to departure) and passport control (on arrival). Lots of these terms are interchangeable as far as some posters are concerned - just look at the confusion that arises between "freedom of movement" and "open borders", for example

It's also a well-known fact that neither security nor passport control staff dare ask foreigners for id or bother checking what's beneath their face coverings because of PC.
Multiculturalism, innit.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I've never seen a burka'd up lady being let through without her face being checked against her passport and I've lived in the Middle East for 11 years. They always ask for a face flash.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 12:02 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
I've never seen a burka'd up lady being let through without her face being checked against her passport and I've lived in the Middle East for 11 years. They always ask for a face flash.
Stop letting reality get in the way of a good old foreigner-bash.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:57 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Image for face flash :

Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Well yeah. Everyone knows you should check people based on their apparent ethnicity and clothes. Especially because plane bombers or mad knifers are obviously going to,choose the gear that makes them stand out the most and not try to blend in with the crowd.

If memory serves, all the recent atrocities of this kind have been carried out by people wearing jeans and casual shirts.
An aquaintance of mine a few years ago from San Salvador always travelled with 2 knives. they are flexible ceramic ones that fit into his jeans under the belt.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Multiculturalism, innit.
There was no confusion, this was at the boarding gate, ie the check on the boarding pass and ID. prior to going down into the plane.
The flight was Malaga to Barcelona but I apologise for my absolute stupidity in the face of of my inquisitors because while I remember the flight time around 10:00 am CET I do not remember the flight operator, the day of the week or the precise date. I am getting a bit old and some details escape me apart from the fact that I couldn´t give a F.F.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:50 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day View Post
There was no confusion, this was at the boarding gate, ie the check on the boarding pass and ID. prior to going down into the plane.
The flight was Malaga to Barcelona but I apologise for my absolute stupidity in the face of of my inquisitors because while I remember the flight time around 10:00 am CET I do not remember the flight operator, the day of the week or the precise date. I am getting a bit old and some details escape me apart from the fact that I couldn´t give a F.F.
The boarding gate check has nothing to do with immigration but the procedures of the airline to ensure that the paperwork matches their manifest.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 4:45 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day View Post
The flight was Malaga to Barcelona
There is no Immigration check at the start OR end of a flight wholly within Spain (Or anywhere within the Schengen area).

Passports are checked at check-in other than online check-in, and at the gate, to ensure the traveler's information matches the ones given at flight booking.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:23 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
There is no Immigration check at the start OR end of a flight wholly within Spain (Or anywhere within the Schengen area).

Passports are checked at check-in other than online check-in, and at the gate, to ensure the traveler's information matches the ones given at flight booking.
Presumably ID cards for those citizens who have them, in order to prove identity. Any confusion may arise from the use of passports to provide the same, where the passenger does not hold a recognised ID card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.