Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Open Borders ?

Open Borders ?

Old Jul 7th 2017, 11:04 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open Borders ?

Originally Posted by Maybe1day View Post
Somalians should go to next door Somaliland no problems there!
No problems?

Try Google. Somaliland's hunger crisis: ‘The world doesn't respond until children are dying'

Failure to recognise Somaliland’s independence means aid that could save lives of people hit by drought and cholera is too slow to arrive, says foreign minister
As for Eritreans they are more than welcome as refugees even Spain lets those in that arrive on its Granada and Malaga coasts.
I think you've got your nationalities mixed up, or your geography. Refugees from Somalia are extremely unlikely to reach anywhere in the Mediterranean due to the Suez canal (which smuggler boats are likely to avoid as vessel cargoes are often inspected).

Refugees arrive in Malaga

ABOUT 200 Syrians, Palestinians and Moroccans arrived in Malaga port on Thursday (September 11) from the Temporary Stay Centre for Immigrants (CETI) in Melilla.

Their arrival, a habitual occurrence in Malaga, is part of an initial reception programme the Spanish government has been running for years in collaboration with charities including the Red Cross, the Spanish Catholic Migration Commission Association (Accem) and the Spanish Refugee Aid Committee (CEAR).

The Red Cross has taken in 110 of the new arrivals, mainly family groups although some individuals were also noted. Almost all are asylum seekers and have accepted help from the charity, the Red Cross reported.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 8:40 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Have you hard evidence of that (from Bangladesh) Robin.?
Sorry, I only just saw this post, must have missed it before.

There was an episode of Newsnight, BBC2, a few days ago, devoted to the problem of rescue in the Mediterranean; is the prospect of likely rescue encouraging traffickers to push more people out in dangerous boats at minimal cost to the traffickers?

A major segment of the report was interviewing young Bangladeshi men somewhere in southern Italy (I think.) The report asserted that currently a high proportion of young men in the clutches of traffickers in Libya were from Bangladesh.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
It's a bit stale that one now, Dicky old chum. January 2016. Distinctly whiffy.

Tell me something though, now you're here. Do you think the UK is safer and more secure than most of the EU? And does it not keep you awake at night that anyone can arrive in Wales or Scotland and simply walk into England?
Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Jeeesus Can they ? You mean just 'walk in' with no identity card checks
I posted in May of last year the fact that I traveled from Gibraltar to the UK without a single border agent checking my documents.
Not in an aeroplane.
Also no baggage checks.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Sorry, I only just saw this post, must have missed it before.

There was an episode of Newsnight, BBC2, a few days ago, devoted to the problem of rescue in the Mediterranean; is the prospect of likely rescue encouraging traffickers to push more people out in dangerous boats at minimal cost to the traffickers?

A major segment of the report was interviewing young Bangladeshi men somewhere in southern Italy (I think.) The report asserted that currently a high proportion of young men in the clutches of traffickers in Libya were from Bangladesh.
Thanks robin...'a high proportion' sounds like poor journalism , to pick out one racial group from the many .and not be able to give numbers .but that's the media for you. Of course traffickers will take advantage when they see possibilities..Slave trade is the oldest profession Barr one of course-
Old Jul 8th 2017, 9:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
I posted in May of last year the fact that I traveled from Gibraltar to the UK without a single border agent checking my documents.
Not in an aeroplane.
Also no baggage checks.
The border with Ireland is likely to remain open after Brexit because that is what both the UK and the Republic wants.
Surprising really given the thousands of illegals who flood across it every day ( not ) having reached the Republic in small boats.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 10:26 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The border with Ireland is likely to remain open after Brexit because that is what both the UK and the Republic wants.
Surprising really given the thousands of illegals who flood across it every day ( not ) having reached the Republic in small boats.
As I've pointed out before, many of the "issues" around "control of borders" is down to UK decisions. No checking of documents on the way out, no use of the EU registration rules - and now, it seems, no checking on the way in. Hard to see how any of that is going to improve....

On the Irish border question, there will be great pressure on the Republic to control its own borders. Obviously not against other EU citizens, but last time I was in Dublin I was surprised by the number of Brazilian accents I heard.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

It was reported On TVE24 at the beginning of the week that amongst the last c5000 arrivals many Eritreans had been given refugee status and allowed to stay in Spain. No mention was made of others. The Somalis were arriving amongst many others escaping from war in Senegal, Nigeria and Egypt etc. in S Italian ports earlier this week as reported by RAI/Mediaset TV.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
We flew into Barcelona From Nice in April last year and had to queue up for passport control at Barcelona. Also flying from Malaga to anywhere has always meant a quick passport check. We were suprised on the way out from Malaga when what appeared to be an Arab guy and his Burka covered companion were not checked on boarding. He handed the 2 passports to the gate person and that was it. My wife is rather nervous about flying these days and this really pissed her off.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 12:06 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Not in an aeroplane.
Also no baggage checks.
You did.

From further information, it appeared to be the failure of the Irish immigration officer to check you because of your plates.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 2:53 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Not in an aeroplane.
Also no baggage checks.
If that's commonplace with controlled external borders, one wonders why the likes of Dicky&Vexie come over all unnecessary at the very mention of open internal borders between the parties to the Schengen Agreement?
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:37 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

If that's commonplace with controlled external borders, one wonders why the likes of Dicky&Vexie come over all unnecessary at the very mention of open internal borders between the parties to the Schengen Agreement?
Ignorance is bliss.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:58 pm
So long...

Fred should have been checked either at the ferry port in France or the ferry port in Ireland as he was crossing from the Schengen area to the Common Travel Area (UK and Ireland).
Old Jul 8th 2017, 5:16 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Fred should have been checked either at the ferry port in France or the ferry port in Ireland as he was crossing from the Schengen area to the Common Travel Area (UK and Ireland).
I seem to remember Fred pointing out this incident as an example of lax EU border controls.

But in this case, any "failure" had nothing to do with the EU. This again, is a UK thing, disguised as another EU failure.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 7:51 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Maybe he was - just not by a border agent as such. He chooses his words quite carefully
Old Jul 8th 2017, 8:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day View Post
We flew into Barcelona From Nice in April last year and had to queue up for passport control at Barcelona. Also flying from Malaga to anywhere has always meant a quick passport check. We were suprised on the way out from Malaga when what appeared to be an Arab guy and his Burka covered companion were not checked on boarding. He handed the 2 passports to the gate person and that was it. My wife is rather nervous about flying these days and this really pissed her off.
Well yeah. Everyone knows you should check people based on their apparent ethnicity and clothes. Especially because plane bombers or mad knifers are obviously going to,choose the gear that makes them stand out the most and not try to blend in with the crowd.

If memory serves, all the recent atrocities of this kind have been carried out by people wearing jeans and casual shirts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.