British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Open Borders ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/open-borders-899102/)

Dick Dasterdly Jul 5th 2017 8:46 am

Open Borders ?

It's beginning to look like a sick joke with Austria moving 750 soldiers and armoured trucks to its Italian border while various restrictions and checks apply across several Eu countries.

Never mind, I'm sure old Junky and his Eu army will sort it out. :sarcasm:

Red Eric Jul 5th 2017 9:26 am

Re: Open Borders ?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12287167)
... while various restrictions and checks apply across several Eu countries.

Could you expand on this a bit? Which countries, what restrictions / checks?

:cool:

GeniB Jul 5th 2017 9:38 am

Yes Austria is attempting to do what the British did at Calais..The Italians (unlike the French ) don't feel inclined to agree.(The French wish they B****y hadn't obliged the British too )

Austria fears an avalanche of refugee's it can't cope with.Hence the controls.. Once again nothing do with EU free movement,but the consequences of the actions of a 'supposed' ally (USA) bombing the s**t out of the refugees own countries and then leaving the EU to deal with the little matter of ( collateral damage )

robin1234 Jul 5th 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12287205)
Yes Austria is attempting to do what the British did at Calais..The Italians (unlike the French ) don't feel inclined to agree.(The French wish they B****y hadn't obliged the British too )

Austria fears an avalanche of refugee's it can't cope with.Hence the controls.. Once again nothing do with EU free movement,but the consequences of the actions of a 'supposed' ally (USA) bombing the s**t out of the refugees own countries and then leaving the EU to deal with the little matter of ( collateral damage )

It's a bigger problem than just US foreign policy, though. I believe a lot of the migrants are from Bangladesh and various sub Saharan African countries that the US hasn't bombed.

Globalisation, TV and social media, raised expectations in general. Peasants used to live, starve, die at a young age etc. in their own village or region. Now the children have to go to the city or abroad to send back remittances.

Hell in a hand basket.

Lion in Winter Jul 5th 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12287269)
It's a bigger problem than just US foreign policy, though. I believe a lot of the migrants are from Bangladesh and various sub Saharan African countries that the US hasn't bombed.

Globalisation, TV and social media, raised expectations in general. Peasants used to live, starve, die at a young age etc. in their own village or region. Now the children have to go to the city or abroad to send back remittances.

Hell in a hand basket.

Never mind, I'm sure Dicky has an easy answer.

a. It's the Germans' fault

b. It's the EU's fault

c. Build lots of walls and make sure people starve, live in misery or die somewhere else without making the rest of us look at them.

iano Jul 5th 2017 1:18 pm

Hell in a hand basket.

Potentially if not already.

Securing the EU's external border is the problem, and its biggest challenge.

Bipat Jul 5th 2017 1:41 pm

Hell in a hand basket.

There are many different issues. Numbers of migrants/refugees----size/population density/wealth of receiving countries.

The UK is a relatively small island country with obviously limits in space and local citizens (including previous migrants) can be more affected by large inflow of new migrants than a larger less densely populated country.

You mention Bangladesh a very poor densely populated country with much monsoon flooding etc. Many millions of refugees/illegal migrants from there have gone over the border into India but the size of the receiving country accommodates them without too much problem. There is free movement from Nepal and Bhutan both small countries.

If the EU had made a proper plan regarding reception and placement of refugees there would have been less problems. I don't think refugees can select a country and insist on going only there in the first instance, however each country should honour a plan to house an appropriate number.

Maybe1day Jul 5th 2017 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12287167)
It's beginning to look like a sick joke with Austria moving 750 soldiers and armoured trucks to its Italian border while various restrictions and checks apply across several Eu countries.

Never mind, I'm sure old Junky and his Eu army will sort it out. :sarcasm:

The Austrians backed down after their ambassador was called to the Farnesina.

Maybe1day Jul 5th 2017 11:49 pm

Interesting that Spain being the nearest EU country to Africa does not have the same problem. Probably due to the fact that they send back those that are not elegible for refugee status tout suite.
Berlusconi is your man for his encouragement of the Illegals giving them money, train passes, sim cards (good for detonating bombs) and temporary passports without any verifiable ID. Everyone after him has had to make the best of a bad job. The Italian media still have the Gag on reporting anything negative re the immigrants in Italy.
Just another point, Mr Alfano stated on state TV last week that Identification of all Immigrants was now 100%.
What a Crock, the minister of the Interior (Miniti) today on state TV said that they were still trying to set up the ID camps so that they would be able to eventually ID the arrivals...........

amideislas Jul 6th 2017 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12287349)

If the EU had made a proper plan regarding reception and placement of refugees there would have been less problems. I don't think refugees can select a country and insist on going only there in the first instance, however each country should honour a plan to house an appropriate number.

The EU did indeed have a "plan", but as the ultimate responsibility for border control was left to sovereign members, the EU possessed little authority to enforce it. In some states such as Italy, free train tickets to other member States solved the problem. In others, erecting walls and fences worked for them.

Like the Euro crisis, this too will improve as the EU becomes more integrated. And EU border force operating on s single set of rules is how it should've been in the first place.

Vexcore Jul 6th 2017 7:46 am

Austria got the right message, least they are protecting the citizens from dangerous outsiders.

Good on them i say.

EMR Jul 6th 2017 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12287949)
Austria got the right message, least they are protecting the citizens from dangerous outsiders.

Good on them i say.

I take it you have no plans to visit Austria😁😁

Vexcore Jul 6th 2017 7:54 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12287954)
I take it you have no plans to visit Austria

Personal dig ? or disagree with what i'm saying?

You're telling me you disagree with a country's government protecting its very OWN citizens from potential threats outsiders?

If you don't have anything productive to say on the subject.... then why are you here? (boosting ya posts? lol)

Maybe1day Jul 6th 2017 8:03 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12287767)
The EU did indeed have a "plan", but as the ultimate responsibility for border control was left to sovereign members, the EU possessed little authority to enforce it. In some states such as Italy, free train tickets to other member States solved the problem. In others, erecting walls and fences worked for them.

Like the Euro crisis, this too will improve as the EU becomes more integrated. And EU border force operating on s single set of rules is how it should've been in the first place.

The rules are there regarding asylum seekers and is respected as both Macron and Rajoy have said in very recent times. It is the "Illegals" that are the problem and quite rightly so!
Strangely, it is Italy that is complaining, but it is Italian coast guard authorities that decide where to take those that are picked up. As far as I am aware neither Tunisia or Egypt are considered to be dangerous and under maritime law those saved from the sea should be given safe haven in any port. So! why don't they take them there? Because Italy wants them! And they can keep them. Lots of dodgy concerns with dodgy connections to dodgy politicians at all levels are making and recycling pots of serious money!;)

Red Eric Jul 6th 2017 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12287949)

Good on them i say.

They don't appear to be doing anything at all at the moment - all a bit of a misunderstanding according to the Austrian Chancellor.

Open borders? I'm all for them. I've got a nice one near me, I've used it on a number of occasions and I've never seen any dangerous outsiders lurking near it.