Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off Topic Posts removed from Quarantine for Covid .Thread

Off Topic Posts removed from Quarantine for Covid .Thread

Old Feb 1st 2021, 1:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic Posts removed from Quarantine for Covid .Thread

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
It is until you realise you cannot leave the state, let alone the country. For a country with a larger per capita immigrant population than Canada, it's at best a strange kind of faux normal.

I think of Australia atm like one of those settlements in the walking dead where they build a fence to keep out the horde and then pretend like nothing ever changed in the world. It's all well and good to build a bubble like that until you realise your life is no more real than Disneyland and you're only ever one broken plank away from disaster.

And although I'm no epidemiologist, based on basic maths and logic, I would have thought it could be a disaster. Unlike North America and Europe, Australia will have a very low level of immunity amongst its population. They're taking a very nonchalant attitude towards vaccination as well which suggests they have zero desire to open up beyond the NZ bubble for the foreseeable future.
Dear DG

Thank you for your opinion regarding Australia's handling of the covid 19 pandemic. We can assure you that we take all opinions very seriously and have immediately forwarded yours to the relevant department, as evidenced below.

Yours sincerely
Australia

Spoiler:

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 1st 2021 at 4:20 am. Reason: Image.. spoiler for those that don't want to see excrement
Old Feb 1st 2021, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic Posts removed from Quarantine for Covid Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I made a general comment that things are pretty much normal because of the measures they had taken.
As examples I gave the Rugby Championship they hosted a few months ago - with spectators in attendance, the tennis open they are about to host - with spectators - and their offer to host the British Lions vs South Africa test series - with spectators - because of the difficulties in SA and UK of holding the matches, let alone with spectators.

Being able to go about your business without having to consider how much you can travel around, what businesses you may go to, using restaurants and attending major sporting events like we all used to be able to do is pretty much normal.

Boiler came along to troll/be negative/exaggerate as usual.

But the response of the authorities is not a whim, it's an example of how they keep life pretty much normal.
Sorry Bristol, I did not mean to pick specifically on you...my message was a bit crass. DG illustrated it a little better below.

It is until you realise you cannot leave the state, let alone the country. For a country with a larger per capita immigrant population than Canada, it's at best a strange kind of faux normal.

I think of Australia atm like one of those settlements in the walking dead where they build a fence to keep out the horde and then pretend like nothing ever changed in the world. It's all well and good to build a bubble like that until you realise your life is no more real than Disneyland and you're only ever one broken plank away from disaster.

And although I'm no epidemiologist, based on basic maths and logic, I would have thought it could be a disaster. Unlike North America and Europe, Australia will have a very low level of immunity amongst its population. They're taking a very nonchalant attitude towards vaccination as well which suggests they have zero desire to open up beyond the NZ bubble for the foreseeable future.
+1.

Question, could an Australian hypothetically fly to NZ as part of the bubble then onward from NZ to a third country to circumvent the travel authorization system Australia has in place? Or do Aus/NZ have some kind of agreement to stop this?
Old Feb 1st 2021, 3:37 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Dear DG

Thank you for your opinion regarding Australia's handling of the covid 19 pandemic. We can assure you that we take all opinions very seriously and have immediately forwarded yours to the relevant department, as evidenced below.

Yours sincerely
Australia
Spoiler:

You're a bad girl

Note: Maybe I need magnifying spectacles. I can't see the poop.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 1st 2021 at 4:39 pm. Reason: Image.. spoiler for those that don't want to see excrement (moderator action)
Old Feb 1st 2021, 4:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
You're a bad girl

I'll make up for it by posting this

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 1st 2021 at 4:23 am.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 5:40 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Or do Aus/NZ have some kind of agreement to stop this?
No I don't think they limit that. You would obviously need to find a flight that goes where you actually want to go though and IIRC NZ quarantine still applies to Australian arrivals. There's just no quarantine in reverse.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 5:52 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Dear DG

Yours sincerely
Australia

Spoiler:

You haven't really handled it at all have you, that's the point. Your country has just treated people poorly and with abject hostility in the same way that it always does. Those poor souls forced into camps in PNG and Nauru will testify to that.

Creating a situation where your own law abiding citizens are left stranded overseas because you won't allow them to travel home safely whilst simultaneously flying in an entire international tennis tournament so you can pretend like everything is normal isn't appropriately handling a situation. It's just delusional.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 7:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't really handled it at all have you, that's the point. Your country has just treated people poorly and with abject hostility in the same way that it always does. Those poor souls forced into camps in PNG and Nauru will testify to that.

Creating a situation where your own law abiding citizens are left stranded overseas because you won't allow them to travel home safely whilst simultaneously flying in an entire international tennis tournament so you can pretend like everything is normal isn't appropriately handling a situation. It's just delusional.
Complete bullshit as usual.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 8:01 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Complete bullshit as usual.
Are you sure about that?

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...anded-overseas

Anyway, I fear we're moving off topic a bit here. Those of us with plans to return or immigrate to Canada in the near future have enough to worry about really. If you want to make another thread where we can tear into the land of kangaroos, legally enforced voting and institutionalised racism then I'll quite happily join you in there at some point.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 9:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure about that?

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...anded-overseas

Anyway, I fear we're moving off topic a bit here. Those of us with plans to return or immigrate to Canada in the near future have enough to worry about really. If you want to make another thread where we can tear into the land of kangaroos, legally enforced voting and institutionalised racism then I'll quite happily join you in there at some point.
It was you that brought Australia into the conversation. Some of us actually living in this neck of the woods replied. You want to start a thread about the positives or negatives of Aus, go for your life, the forums are here .
Old Feb 1st 2021, 10:21 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
It was you that brought Australia into the conversation. Some of us actually living in this neck of the woods replied. You want to start a thread about the positives or negatives of Aus, go for your life, the forums are here .
Actually I didn't. Bristol and Gozit were discussing Australia, I think in relation to the Atlantic Bubble, and I just offered an opinion. I know you and Spouse tend to show up whenever I make any mention of that country however I've probably bought that one on myself over the last 10 months or so.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 12:24 pm
Concierge

Blahdeeblahblah.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 12:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Blahdeeblahblah.
Well think if it was one of your kids stuck in Europe or America and relying on money transfers or food banks because they just happened to go backpacking at the wrong time and couldn't get a flight home. How would you feel then? Meanwhile you're watching plane loads of sports personalities and film crews fly in. Danni Minogue was reportedly allowed to return from the US last year and quarantine at home, a luxury not really afforded to any normal person.

It's very easy to call Australia's approach this whole ordeal a resounding success but you might feel differently if you're unfortunate enough to be on the sticky end of it.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 1:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic Posts removed from Quarantine for Covid Thread

Actually I didn't. Bristol and Gozit were discussing Australia, I think in relation to the Atlantic Bubble
Since the topic relates to quarantine upon arrival it seemed reasonable to give a practical example of where it had been done so well that people go about their daily activities virtually unhindered.
That's their daily activities. The vast majority of the population, most of the time. Including large special events going ahead with some semblance of normality.

Old Feb 1st 2021, 1:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Since the topic relates to quarantine upon arrival it seemed reasonable to give a practical example of where it had been done so well that people go about their daily activities virtually unhindered.
That's their daily activities. The vast majority of the population, most of the time. Including large special events going ahead with some semblance of normality.
Yeah, I think virtually is the key word on that one personally.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Yeah, I think virtually is the key word on that one personally.
Given that you're not here and so haven't experienced our lives for the past year, I'm not convinced your personal thoughts are really relevant but obviously you're entitled to them. Interesting article in the NYT today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.