Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
1) Hyper sensitive ---why?? People are people! All different! You can be more than one thing!!! 100% British citizen but also proud of Irish background etc. (Or dual citizenship.)

2) Hyphenation is not usually used in UK ----however people have different 'looks' and are 'usually' proud of being asked about their 'family origins' -- (may be a mistake to ask ----will go on and on about it +++!) -----(OH yesterday extremely proud-----another 'Indian' appointed to top British job!!! (Nikhil Rathi)

(One point in the UK ----pronunciation of 'foreign names' seems to be a problem----She is Preeeeeeety Patel not Pretty Patel!!! )
My mixed race sons when asked about their identity they proudly reply that they are English or British. If pressed each would say "Sure, I have a Chinese mum and a Welsh dad but I'm English/British. And your point is?". Though the younger one is starting to sound convincingly more like an Aussie.

Last edited by paulry; Jun 23rd 2020 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
My mixed race sons when asked about their identity they proudly reply that they are English or British. If pressed each would say "Sure, I have a Chinese mum and a Welsh dad but I'm English/British. And your point is?". Though the younger one is starting to sound convincingly more like an Aussie.
I didn't mention 'mixed race' ----it was GeniB. (Although it is the fastest growing minority in the UK.)

I pointed out that people can have more than one 'origin' and 'belong' to both. As for example Irish born and now British, Chinese born and now British. 'People' regardless of what they 'look like' are all individuals with different loyalties regarding different countries.
First generation migrants to the UK will often have equal affinity to two countries, this diminishes with to some extent with subsequent generations.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mention 'mixed race' ----it was GeniB. (Although it is the fastest growing minority in the UK.)

I pointed out that people can have more than one 'origin' and 'belong' to both. As for example Irish born and now British, Chinese born and now British. 'People' regardless of what they 'look like' are all individuals with different loyalties regarding different countries.
First generation migrants to the UK will often have equal affinity to two countries, this diminishes with to some extent with subsequent generations.
You misinterpreted what I meant, and I could have written it better, because it wasn't a pop at anyone. Check where I placed the quotes.

I agree pretty much with what you're saying. To the greater extent we are what we identify ourselves as. My sons tend to identify themselves as English while I identify as British possibly because I spent equal periods of my life living in England and Wales so I feel that I'm neither alone, but more like both together (British). But it's a rolling ball. I reckon my lads - assuming they stay here (and I believe they will), they'll change as the years go by and identify more as Australians. I would feel quite comfortable to identify as British Australian. ....I might need a couple more years for that though. Another angle is citizenship - and that doesn't have to correspond with our perceived identities.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 5:18 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mention 'mixed race' ----it was GeniB. .
I think it may have been me actually. MrBEVS 1st cousins would describe themselves 'mixed race' if someone was to ask, not that anyone they know bothers with that really. Their Dad was either Jamaican by birth, as in born there, or through parents that left Jamaica and came to the UK. Not sure as I cannot remember & the box of info is somewhere that I can't be bothered to look out right now. Their Mum is Phil's maternal aunt. She is Wolverhampton UK from birth and the lines there are either BHam or Wolvo going back a good 250 years and more.

They see themselves as Yam Yams & English so British. I see myself as English so British even though I live in New Zealand and one of my parents was Waterford Irish from Waterford. My Irish relatives saw me as English .

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 24th 2020 at 5:20 am.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I think it may have been me actually. MrBEVS 1st cousins would describe themselves 'mixed race' if someone was to ask, not that anyone they know bothers with that really. Their Dad was either Jamaican by birth, as in born there, or through parents that left Jamaica and came to the UK. Not sure as I cannot remember & the box of info is somewhere that I can't be bothered to look out right now. Their Mum is Phil's maternal aunt. She is Wolverhampton UK from birth and the lines there are either BHam or Wolvo going back a good 250 years and more.

They see themselves as Yam Yams & English so British. I see myself as English so British even though I live in New Zealand and one of my parents was Waterford Irish from Waterford. My Irish relatives saw me as English .
Yes it is complicated how we 'see' ourselves and how others 'see' us----not always the same!
My Indian family see me as one of them----still remember father in law bellowing down a phone "we don't know any foreigners" !! Have had 'vigorous' arguments with a poster on this Forum----that I am in no way Indian (even though OCI)--- just desperately trying to integrate!!

OH sees himself as British in the UK but also Indian------actually admired Mrs Thatcher!!!!!!! In India I hear a lot of praise going out from him in conversations about 'wonderful' UK !!!!!!! Relatives talk about "over there"----- do they do this or that?
It is surprising that taxi drivers etc.in India do not 'see' OH as Indian until he speaks a local language ---so must have a 'foreign' aura!!

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Harry was on social media recently stating that he felt bad about bias in UK culture against minorities. My question is does he have the right to speak on such subjects as a Royal member of the British Monarchy?
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 5:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Harry was on social media recently stating that he felt bad about bias in UK culture against minorities. My question is does he have the right to speak on such subjects as a Royal member of the British Monarchy?
Unless he prefaced his comments with 'On behalf of the British royal family...' then I don't see the problem?
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 12:57 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see why not.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did he detail what this "bias in UK culture against minorities" is? No, I didn't think so.
Old Yesterday, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it interesting how difficult it has been to accept a changing demographic in various regions in Europe including the UK. Many young people that did not hold any dislike for other ethnicities were often shamed by the majority population for being open to dating and marrying outside their ethnicity. This video is a good example.https://youtu.be/bAx0oZPTHJs

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Yesterday at 9:19 am.
Old Yesterday, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

https://youtu.be/bAx0oZPTHJs

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Yesterday at 9:11 am.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I find it interesting how difficult it has been to accept a changing demographic in various regions in Europe including the UK. Many young people that did not hold any dislike for other ethnicities were often shamed by the majority population for being open to dating and marrying outside their ethnicity. This video is a good example.

https://youtu.be/bAx0oZPTHJs
(Cannot see the video).

I would disagree that this is true regarding the UK. Mixed race is the fastest growing ethnic minority.
Some very strict religious groups are against it but they are a minority within their religion.

There have always been 'mixed' marriages in the UK including with war time American soldiers, German POWs, Jewish migrants etc. etc.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Definitely not true of the UK. My family is a mixed race family, and we never encountered any resistance from any relatives or friends. Nor have we ever received any disapproving looks or negative behaviors from anyone around us there. Ditto with Australia.
Old Today, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

(Cannot see the video).

I would disagree that this is true regarding the UK. Mixed race is the fastest growing ethnic minority.
Some very strict religious groups are against it but they are a minority within their religion.

There have always been 'mixed' marriages in the UK including with war time American soldiers, German POWs, Jewish migrants etc. etc.
I totally agree there has always been caring loving individuals in the UK but that's not the problem with societal discrimination in general. It's the over-all majority that determines whether or not a person is confronted on a daily basis with discrimination. Look at the video that I posted and you'll see that many people in the UK love based on attraction and mutual love and shared interest. But you still have to contend with the greater society which Meghan Markle found out the hard way. In a society where racism is so normalized and structured into every day life, it can seem to the average person that it doesn't exist. But barriers erected to maintain tradition or status-quo are inherently build on the foundation of racism and design to keep the majority on top.

I say talk to those people that feel discrimination the most and get their opinion. See what their life experience has been like. It's going to be different in every country because the larger minority groups have a different introduction history to their home country. Good example for that is America. The Blacklivesmatter movement is the perfect example of how when the police are out of control with every ethnic group their conduct is even worse with minority groups and historically have been terrible with African Americans. Yet African Americans tend to be one of the most vocal and powerful constituency among all the minorities. No other minority group has a larger GDP annually, and they decide elections and change historical laws that effect all groups.

That's why it's very relevant to listen to not just the African American population in America but hear how well the smaller less influential minority groups are dealing with discrimination in society. Are the Native Americans and Hispanic Americans experiencing the same or worse level of discrimination in the work place and in general. Do minority groups in the UK achieve financial success on the same level as their counter parts in America?

Is Windrush in the UK more of a mentality by those in power than a circumstance that occurred?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-black-people/

https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/real-life/racism-uk/

Those are the questions that need to be asked, and groups that feel discrimination the most. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of all the minority groups in the UK and see if they have as many avenues to accomplish their slice of the British dream.
Old Today, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Definitely not true of the UK. My family is a mixed race family, and we never encountered any resistance from any relatives or friends. Nor have we ever received any disapproving looks or negative behaviors from anyone around us there. Ditto with Australia.
May I ask if your family lives in the larger cities where opinions may be more open and accepting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.