Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Old Jun 13th 2020, 5:41 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
You just described an awful lot of the postings here.

Don't try and do that to my post It's unworthy and a bit underhand really although rather typical.

Old Jun 13th 2020, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Don't try and do that to my post It's unworthy and a bit underhand really although rather typical.
I have not done anything to your post, I do not need to edit it, just an observation.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 1:35 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
This is not discussing racism but it is off topic ...

A fundraiser for one of our own who needs our help. You can read his story here...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/mapl...919043/page36/

https://www.gofundme.com/f/moving-to...=copy_link-tip
Good on you for spreading the word JG. For anyone who doesn't know JSmith, he has and continues to face significant barriers but despite that he never gives up. Not everyone is able to donate, but if those who are able to contribute do, they'll be making a huge and positive difference to JSmith and his wife's future.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I've read a lot of his posts. He sounds like a really decent human being who is trying his best every day. Thanks for posting the link.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal View Post
I've read a lot of his posts. He sounds like a really decent human being who is trying his best every day. Thanks for posting the link.
what a lovely thing to say.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal View Post
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
what a lovely thing to say.
And these last few years having observed and interacted with him from time to time, I'd say those words are very true.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
All of that has already been covered here.

In addition to that, when Mather (the Journalist) said that, she didn't mean trailer trash in any racist sense (British people don't in general associate that term with people of colour) she meant it in the British sense of somewhat lower class - and she said it because of Meghan's somewhat dysfunctional (largely white) family.

I have to accept that you as an American would understandably misinterpret that particularly British view.

And that has been dealt with here.

Here your argument seems to be that Americans are overtly racist and that's somehow better than the British who are secretly racist. You should consider the possibility the Americans are simply more racist than the British.

Good thing that America's mental health care system is so superior to the UK's then, eh?
I understand your point of view and its pretty obvious where you're coming from. And trust me I'm not trying to change any minds in this instance. I'm just an observer. We just disagree about the effects of bias behavior on society and the various levels and demonstrations of how racism are shown. The multiple racist acts of UK journalists are on video tape for the world to see. No added interpretation needed.

Its like the old saying if you have to explain what someone else said, their message was more than likely received correct the first time. Friends of mine from Ireland who saw that particular journalist could not understand why she went so extreme and took her opinion to such a racist place. It was a topic of conversation in more countries than just America and the UK from what I hear. Mostly because it was dripping with racist intent, and sadly came from a very angry place on her part. But again the average detached person from real life experience might struggle to understand the obvious or nuances.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/w...le-racism.html
Old Jun 16th 2020, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

U.S.—A team of political experts released its latest prediction on the Black Lives Matter movement today, saying the group’s current surge will likely only last until early November. The experts say after votes are cast in the 2020 election, politicians will no longer have a need for the black community, and everything will go back to normal.

The team of experts out of UCLA has been following Black Lives Matter since it emerged back in 2014 when an unarmed black man was killed by police in St. Louis. The popular civil rights group also made headlines in 2016 and 2018.

https://babylonbee.com/news/black-li...until-november

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 16th 2020 at 9:10 pm. Reason: Copyright
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this article to be 100% correct about what its like to be a person of color in America or the UK. And certainly an opportunity to become better informed.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...poll-gbr-intl/
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
I found this article to be 100% correct about what its like to be a person of color in America or the UK. And certainly an opportunity to become better informed.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...poll-gbr-intl/
Not sure why you can find the article 100% correct?? What do you mean by "person of color"??
(I would be interested in a UK survey which asked "do you like being called a 'person of colour'?!!!!)

Yes interesting article but I really don't think you can equate the situation in the UK with USA although both countries need change.

The article pointed out the differences in attitudes towards the different ethnic groups in the UK and this is certainly true. It is always wrong to merge all into any homogenous group as for example 'people of colour'---whatever that means!!!

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Not sure why you can find the article 100% correct?? What do you mean by "person of color"??
(I would be interested in a UK survey which asked "do you like being called a 'person of colour'?!!!!)!
I think you're correct that it would be an interesting question, and it would be equally interesting to see the reaction of other ethnicities to that decision. Asking Minority groups in the UK the question how they'd best like to be referred regarding ethnic identity would be a very telling answer especially in a country where ethnic identification can be a hyper sensitive subject. There is an idea that says minority groups should not include their ethnicity in self identifying. They are somehow choosing not to be 100% accepting of being a citizen of the UK.

That once you're British then why call yourself an Asian British or Pakistani British, a hyphenation that celebrate one's history is disrespectful to others. It's more accepted in the States to call yourself an Italian American if that is a person's history. But I will say that many of those groups are indeed newer to the UK then minority groups are to America. Being Asian or Black but having bloodlines from different regional countries can play a role on this subject as well.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:34 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's 1st cousins refer to themselves as 'mixed race' . They absolutely believe they are British and Midlanders & they support the Wolves alongside the rest of their family.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:52 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
My husband's 1st cousins refer to themselves as 'mixed race' .

Mercia?
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
I think you're correct that it would be an interesting question, and it would be equally interesting to see the reaction of other ethnicities to that decision. 1) Asking Minority groups in the UK the question how they'd best like to be referred regarding ethnic identity would be a very telling answer especially in a country where ethnic identification can be a hyper sensitive subject. There is an idea that says minority groups should not include their ethnicity in self identifying. They are somehow choosing not to be 100% accepting of being a citizen of the UK.

2) That once you're British then why call yourself an Asian British or Pakistani British, a hyphenation that celebrate one's history is disrespectful to others. It's more accepted in the States to call yourself an Italian American if that is a person's history. But I will say that many of those groups are indeed newer to the UK then minority groups are to America. Being Asian or Black but having bloodlines from different regional countries can play a role on this subject as well.
1) Hyper sensitive ---why?? People are people! All different! You can be more than one thing!!! 100% British citizen but also proud of Irish background etc. (Or dual citizenship.)

2) Hyphenation is not usually used in UK ----however people have different 'looks' and are 'usually' proud of being asked about their 'family origins' -- (may be a mistake to ask ----will go on and on about it +++!) -----(OH yesterday extremely proud-----another 'Indian' appointed to top British job!!! (Nikhil Rathi)

(One point in the UK ----pronunciation of 'foreign names' seems to be a problem----She is Preeeeeeety Patel not Pretty Patel!!! )

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

My step brother married a beautiful girl from Jamaica .They had two sons. Both of which attended Ely Cathedral school..and I hope have gone on to lead successful lives ? Most of my family are spread around the world so we only met up at weddings and funerals. I would have like to have known these boys better ,but sadly my step brother became ill and the couple divorced. I retain however some very happy memories of when our whole family was together. . Nothing I have ever seen on TV has ever represented the reality of mixed race families.

This TED talk below is as close as I have come .. and for me is the only way forward in educating people about the realities of race.

It's 20 minutes long .. So skip it .. or look it up on YouTube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.