Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Old Jun 5th 2020, 6:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Without spending too much time and searching and watching multiple videos of her we know at one time she was a Democrat but is now Republican she changed over in 2018 and was a critic of Trump before she changed.

From her twitter Feed

The media is attacking
@realdonaldtrump
for calling the rioters 'Thugs'. In 2015, Obama called the Baltimore Rioters Thugs. This is just another example of the media bias. So both Presidents called Rioters thugs but how much flak did Obama get?

From a news article
  • Owens had pointed to Floyd's drug use and criminal record, saying only black people protest 'for the people in our community who are up to no good'
From another She said that no Jewish person, or Hispanic person, or white person would embrace someone who had done 'five stints in prison.'

'George Floyd was not an amazing person,' she told viewers. Owens also mentioned a 2007 robbery that Floyd was involved in that involved a pregnant victim and Floyd holding a gun to her abdomen.
Black lives only matter to white liberals, every 4 years, ahead of an election. I’m so sorry to those of you that thought otherwise.
'Using African children as a backdrop to complain about your over-privileged life is offensive,' Owens said of the American-born Duchess. Meghan Markle.

This is a Black
American woman rightly and wrongly making her views on subjects that no doubt don't sit well in the African American community. If I as a white male see stuff like this bearing in mind the 1st Amendment to Free Speech then I am at a loss how tensions between white and black communities will ever heal. I know she is only one person but does the thought of more like her who are also black concern you.

Yeah, I know who she is.

Floyd's past, or even his present, aren't relevant to how the law should treat him and cops don't get to be executioners. Of anyone.

People don't all have to think the same because of their skin tone. Race is a social construct, created to select certain aspects of our species' genetic diversity and use them to divide and conquer. It's been done very thoroughly. Tensions between black people and white people and various shades in between won't heal until the economic and social inequities and injustices stop.

What do I agree with? That people, not exclusively "liberals", seem to care when a hot issue comes to the forefront, and then go back to comfortably living their lives, blaming the people on the losing end for their own misfortunes and on individual choices as though they were made in a vacuum. Having said that, the fact that many of those people vote Democrat does not in any way imply that the solution lies in voting instead for the party that's even worse just because they are more barefaced about their support for inequity and injustice. Telling us to vote for Trump because racism happened under Obama is just loopy.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

Floyd's past, or even his present, aren't relevant to how the law should treat him and cops don't get to be executioners. Of anyone.
Again no offence but I am going to elaborate just on this part. Your words how the law should treat him do you mean Police officers or the justice system i.e. courts. I can pretty much guarantee you that every legal justice system in the world and court will take into account a persons past at sentencing but if you just mean Police officers then as I outlined in post 59 for my own safety who am I dealing with. Absolutely cops don't get to be executioners in the normal sense of the word but there have been shootings all across the world where cops have shot a person and witnessed by others and an enquiry conducted with irrefutable evidence that the cop had no other choice and yet the family of the victim claim he was executed.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Again no offence but I am going to elaborate just on this part. Your words how the law should treat him do you mean Police officers or the justice system i.e. courts. I can pretty much guarantee you that every legal justice system in the world and court will take into account a persons past at sentencing but if you just mean Police officers then as I outlined in post 59 for my own safety who am I dealing with. Absolutely cops don't get to be executioners in the normal sense of the word but there have been shootings all across the world where cops have shot a person and witnessed by others and an enquiry conducted with irrefutable evidence that the cop had no other choice and yet the family of the victim claim he was executed.
Meanwhile in the real world, Black Dem controlled:

There have been 240 homicides in Chicago in 2020.

Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:07 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Police officers on the street, and rights before the law.

As to cops shooting people, if the citizenry weren't heavily armed then the cops would not so often be in fear for their lives nor so jumpy. Of course that isn't the same thing as shooting people because they are running away, or when they are kneeling on the ground with their hands in the air (even if they do have a hammer in their pockets). Giving the police guns also means they use them a lot more of course, and I'm sure it leads to policing by escalation and dominance rather than by deescalation and consent.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Police officers on the street, and rights before the law.

As to cops shooting people, if the citizenry weren't heavily armed then the cops would not so often be in fear for their lives nor so jumpy. Of course that isn't the same thing as shooting people because they are running away, or when they are kneeling on the ground with their hands in the air (even if they do have a hammer in their pockets). Giving the police guns also means they use them a lot more of course, and I'm sure it leads to policing by escalation and dominance rather than by deescalation and consent.
I can certainly remember my first trip to France and seeing all the Police armed. quite a shock, certainly in London before I came over it had become quite common, the world we live in.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread confused me at first, just saw H&M and was like what does this have to do with a clothing store...
Old Jun 6th 2020, 3:15 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
This thread confused me at first, just saw H&M and was like what does this have to do with a clothing store...
Old Jun 6th 2020, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
H&M probably has better content.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That seemed to come down easily.
Systematic racism never comes down easily but we can hope it will get better with a great deal of effort. Meghan Markle was a victim of racism in the UK because many institutions refused to give her a fair chance and sadly many bandwagon individuals also joined in attacking her. But I guarantee you known of those people will admit to it. Instead they will say things like it was Meghan's fault for not being tough enough. She should have accepted being a target of bias treatment and later things would have gotten better. When it was quite obvious the treatment of her was getting worse. I think most people who say they are against racism don't understand subconscious racist beliefs.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 8:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Systematic racism never comes down easily but we can hope it will get better with a great deal of effort. Meghan Markle was a victim of racism in the UK because many institutions refused to give her a fair chance and sadly many bandwagon individuals also joined in attacking her. But I guarantee you known of those people will admit to it. Instead they will say things like it was Meghan's fault for not being tough enough. She should have accepted being a target of bias treatment and later things would have gotten better. When it was quite obvious the treatment of her was getting worse. I think most people who say they are against racism don't understand subconscious racist beliefs.
What makes you think that the 'treatment' of Meghan by these 'institutions who refused to give her a chance' was down to her race?
Old Jun 8th 2020, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

H&M probably has better content.
Ha ha! H & M - my 15 year old grand-daughter's favorite store!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
What makes you think that the 'treatment' of Meghan by these 'institutions who refused to give her a chance' was down to her race?
Exactly - many of us on this thread (and the original thread) feel it has absolutely nothing to do with her race - more her personality and "it's all about me" attitude that she seems to display!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Has Meghan actually said, implied or indicated racism played any part in her situation. Has anybody asked her? Even if asked would she give an honest answer.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
What makes you think it wasn't?

Journalist calling and comparing Meghan's child to the "old" racist slur, monkey. Certainly no racist intent there. Journalist calling a successful Meghan in her own right a trailer trash. Constant death threats directed toward Meghan and her child which has been confirmed by the Palace. Having said that I can certainly see why the public would want to complain about funding Archie's security cost. And those are just the obvious dim witted individuals that didn't feel the need to cloak their true intent. Most racist prefer to attack behind the shield of covert excuses. That's what cowards do in these situations. And when caught there seem to be a thing called in the UK as giving the racist a pass! That is why racism continues to thrive.

My favorite pass given to racist is when people refer to clear acts of racism as "accidental" racism as if that makes racism more acceptable. I've spoken to people of color in the UK and they without any question find it easier to fight racism in America compared to the UK. And the reason for that is because America's racist will at least own they're racism while most in the UK try to cloak it or sweep it under the rug. Racism is a public health issue meaning the racist is mentally and emotionally ill. You can't help a drunk or drug addict get better unless they admit there is a problem.

Old Jun 10th 2020, 10:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
What makes you think it wasn't?

Journalist calling and comparing Meghan's child to the "old" racist slur, monkey. Certainly no racist intent there. Journalist calling a successful Meghan in her own right a trailer trash. Constant death threats directed toward Meghan and her child which has been confirmed by the Palace. Having said that I can certainly see why the public would want to complain about funding Archie's security cost. And those are just the obvious dim witted individuals that didn't feel the need to cloak their true intent. Most racist prefer to attack behind the shield of covert excuses. That's what cowards do in these situations. And when caught there seem to be a thing called in the UK as giving the racist a pass! That is why racism continues to thrive.

My favorite pass given to racist is when people refer to clear acts of racism as "accidental" racism as if that makes racism more acceptable. I've spoken to people of color in the UK and they without any question find it easier to fight racism in America compared to the UK. And the reason for that is because America's racist will at least own they're racism while most in the UK try to cloak it or sweep it under the rug. Racism is a public health issue meaning the racist is mentally and emotionally ill. You can't help a drunk or drug addict get better unless they admit there is a problem.
There you go again, with your sweeping statements without any hard evidence to back them up. I realise that you like to think the US is better in most ways than any other nation, but to say that America owns its racism while 'most' in the UK don't is a patently absurd statement. Particularly right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.