Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Old Jun 4th 2020, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Brilliant post by Meghan and I so agree with her. Young children of color should not have to navigate in societies that are still far too bias against people of color and women. It really makes no sense in this day and age. My wife and I were watching an episode of Loose Women and it was very sad listening to the story of one of their panelist that had to explain to her young pre-teens the imperative of navigating every day life while dealing with racism in the UK. And this is not just the UK or America because it happens in most western countries either at lesser or higher numbers. I'm glad Meghan took a stand. But I'm sure she will be called a racist for fighting for equal justice.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf View Post
On the banter side she didn't claim to be from the hood or use any Gangsta terms in her message.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 3:26 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
It might help some people on here to take a little holiday in south east Morocco, or south Algeria.

See how you come back to the UK or USA feeling a lot more informed about what racism really feels like!

I think we have it covered here in Texas. And maybe you're missing the point. If just one country bands together to fight racism then it will serve a purpose to spread across other countries, hopefully.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Brilliant post by Meghan and I so agree with her. Young children of color should not have to navigate in societies that are still far too bias against people of color and women. It really makes no sense in this day and age. My wife and I were watching an episode of Loose Women and it was very sad listening to the story of one of their panelist that had to explain to her young pre-teens the imperative of navigating every day life while dealing with racism in the UK. And this is not just the UK or America because it happens in most western countries either at lesser or higher numbers. I'm glad Meghan took a stand. But I'm sure she will be called a racist for fighting for equal justice.
Also the children don't always tell their parents at the time regarding school episodes!---You find out years later.
(Various prejudices unfortunately exist in many countries not just "Western"------that word itself is used as a division of people!!!!
Old Jun 4th 2020, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Also the children don't always tell their parents at the time regarding school episodes!---You find out years later.
(Various prejudices unfortunately exist in many countries not just "Western"------that word itself is used as a division of people!!!!
I agree with you that children often just try to get on with things even in the face of mistreatment and don't always inform their parents when they are hurting internally. The idea of someone especially an adult hurting anyone including a child boils my blood.

A old buddy of mine a real good person was experiencing a great deal of negative feedback while living in Missouri which is not a place exactly known for progressive thinking. Long story short he refused to raise his very young children in an environment that could remotely cause harm to their self image based on the interactions living in that state. He packed up his family and moved to the Netherlands in the 1980s and never looked back.

His skills were in high demand and because his new adoptive country was so open and progressive the entire family has flourished. They certainly could have done the same in another state in America but for the Netherlands to offer such an overwhelming welcoming environment in the 1980s says a lot.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 11:42 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Yes Bipat. You struck a huge chord. That was me. I didn't even think to say anything at all to my parents . I just got on with it all best I could. Prejudice exists everywhere in every country and in all forms.

Not sure why this thread has turned into a racial prejudice thread although thread drift does happen. It is supposed to be about both of them choosing to no longer work for the Queen under the Sovereign Grant & also to choose to live close to her parent rather than his family. With regard to newspaper coverage of Ms Markle, it has already been stated more than once that she came under no worse fire than Kate Middleton , Sarah Fergusson & several others of the UK Royal Family. Prince Harry made it clear enough that he found working under the civil list somewhat stultifying and would have preferred to remain serving in the UK military. To that end perhaps he should have stepped away from public duty years ago , married his first love Chelsy Davy and then gone to live in a place he equally has stated he loves, Africa. It was her that actually stated she could not enter the royal family limelight and so broke it off. Incredibly ironic given his current life choice..

No-one can know how either of them actually feel their lives are progressing. No-one. Hopefully it is all evolving to be a good fit for what they both want for a life.

The Royal Family does not comment on current affairs or it should not . In that respect divorcing themselves from his family means that restraint no long applies. I rather hope Prince Happy will circumnavigate away from being overly vocally & instead continue to quietly concentrate on 'good works' as a way of improving the world we live in. To lead by example . That doesn't mean I think people should not protest - they should .

Originally Posted by Ms Markel
I wanted to say the right thing and I was really nervous that it would get picked apart.
She really needs to toughen up frankly. The above statement is more about her than it is about the actuality of those in strife right now.

Back to the actual thread title.
It seems that Prince Harry is to merge The UK Endeavour Fund which is or was a part of the Royal Foundation with his Invictus Games. I hope this all goes from strength to strength .

Not that anyone needs my opinion at all but IMO Canada would have been then better place to settle. A good half way house .
Old Jun 4th 2020, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

Not that anyone needs my opinion at all but IMO Canada would have been then better place to settle. A good half way house .
Scuse me dear/luv or whatever other endearing term you may want to be called but a half way house? Makes it sound like Canada is a place for those being released from jail but not yet ready to return home to their usual residence. This is how a website in Canada describes a half way house.
Halfway houses operate throughout Canada, and very generally help people who have criminal backgrounds, have physical, mental, or emotional problems, or have completed a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center and require a transition period back into society.

https://www.drugrehab.ca/halfway-houses-in-canada.html

I think we are much better than that and who says we event want them
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:01 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Scuse me dear/luv or whatever other endearing term you may want to be called but a half way house? Makes it sound like Canada is a place for those being released from jail but not yet ready to return home to their usual residence. This is how a website in Canada describes a half way house.
Halfway houses operate throughout Canada, and very generally help people who have criminal backgrounds, have physical, mental, or emotional problems, or have completed a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center and require a transition period back into society.

https://www.drugrehab.ca/halfway-houses-in-canada.html

I think we are much better than that and who says we event want them
Oo ums. My bad

I meant of course a good place to be between UK family and USA family.

Made me giggle.FL.

Quite right though. There was a half way house in Parkstone years ago so I do know the term. Just call me daft.

Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Does Racism exist? Yes. Is Racism Bad and unacceptable? Yes. Should people acknowledge Racism exists and educate themselves what racism is? Yes.

Now like most people in the world who saw the George Floyd video I was shocked, appalled or whatever else that describes what we saw in that video. I also watched the Rev Al Sharpton's eulogy yesterday. I was scrolling through an online nameless newspaper as the name of the newspaper is irrelevant to the point I am trying to make.
America is hurting and things need to change. Although I don't live in the USA I can certainly do my bit whatever that is to treat any human being with dignity and respect. People are demanding change in America. I think we have all heard the message and realize change won't come overnight. I get it, so back to the article I saw showed a picture of Vice President Mike Pence hosting a roundtable on race relations with 9 people in the picture. It appears that 3 of the people are white and 6 are black.

All I am asking anyone to do is do an internet search for Candace Owens and if you want read her twitter feed or the odd story about her. She is also on You Tube.

I know she probably has an agenda but look at what she is and what she has said and then think How do we change America?

Old Jun 5th 2020, 2:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Does Racism exist? Yes. Is Racism Bad and unacceptable? Yes. Should people acknowledge Racism exists and educate themselves what racism is? Yes.

Now like most people in the world who saw the George Floyd video I was shocked, appalled or whatever else that describes what we saw in that video. I also watched the Rev Al Sharpton's eulogy yesterday. I was scrolling through an online nameless newspaper as the name of the newspaper is irrelevant to the point I am trying to make.
America is hurting and things need to change. Although I don't live in the USA I can certainly do my bit whatever that is to treat any human being with dignity and respect. People are demanding change in America. I think we have all heard the message and realize change won't come overnight. I get it, so back to the article I saw showed a picture of Vice President Mike Pence hosting a roundtable on race relations with 9 people in the picture. It appears that 3 of the people are white and 6 are black.

All I am asking anyone to do is do an internet search for Candace Owens and if you want read her twitter feed or the odd story about her. She is also on You Tube.

I know she probably has an agenda but look at what she is and what she has said and then think How do we change America?

FL, I know about her and she has a lot of stuff out there. Could you help by picking out a couple of her points of view or ideas so that we can discuss them specifically?
Old Jun 5th 2020, 2:40 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

She was on Pence's roundtable. She definitely has an agenda especially when she is promoting her books! I have seen and read about her quite a lot. She seems, in my opinion, to jump around on her opinions when it seems she can get most air time and publicity.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
FL, I know about her and she has a lot of stuff out there. Could you help by picking out a couple of her points of view or ideas so that we can discuss them specifically?
Without spending too much time and searching and watching multiple videos of her we know at one time she was a Democrat but is now Republican she changed over in 2018 and was a critic of Trump before she changed.

From her twitter Feed

The media is attacking
@realdonaldtrump
for calling the rioters 'Thugs'. In 2015, Obama called the Baltimore Rioters Thugs. This is just another example of the media bias. So both Presidents called Rioters thugs but how much flak did Obama get?

From a news article
  • Owens had pointed to Floyd's drug use and criminal record, saying only black people protest 'for the people in our community who are up to no good'
From another She said that no Jewish person, or Hispanic person, or white person would embrace someone who had done 'five stints in prison.'

'George Floyd was not an amazing person,' she told viewers. Owens also mentioned a 2007 robbery that Floyd was involved in that involved a pregnant victim and Floyd holding a gun to her abdomen.
Black lives only matter to white liberals, every 4 years, ahead of an election. I’m so sorry to those of you that thought otherwise.
'Using African children as a backdrop to complain about your over-privileged life is offensive,' Owens said of the American-born Duchess. Meghan Markle.

This is a Black
American woman rightly and wrongly making her views on subjects that no doubt don't sit well in the African American community. If I as a white male see stuff like this bearing in mind the 1st Amendment to Free Speech then I am at a loss how tensions between white and black communities will ever heal. I know she is only one person but does the thought of more like her who are also black concern you.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 3:38 pm

Without spending too much time and searching and watching multiple videos of her we know at one time she was a Democrat but is now Republican she changed over in 2018 and was a critic of Trump before she changed.

From her twitter Feed

The media is attacking
@realdonaldtrump
for calling the rioters 'Thugs'. In 2015, Obama called the Baltimore Rioters Thugs. This is just another example of the media bias. So both Presidents called Rioters thugs but how much flak did Obama get?

From a news article
  • Owens had pointed to Floyd's drug use and criminal record, saying only black people protest 'for the people in our community who are up to no good'
From another She said that no Jewish person, or Hispanic person, or white person would embrace someone who had done 'five stints in prison.'

'George Floyd was not an amazing person,' she told viewers. Owens also mentioned a 2007 robbery that Floyd was involved in that involved a pregnant victim and Floyd holding a gun to her abdomen.
Black lives only matter to white liberals, every 4 years, ahead of an election. I’m so sorry to those of you that thought otherwise.
'Using African children as a backdrop to complain about your over-privileged life is offensive,' Owens said of the American-born Duchess. Meghan Markle.

This is a Black
American woman rightly and wrongly making her views on subjects that no doubt don't sit well in the African American community. If I as a white male see stuff like this bearing in mind the 1st Amendment to Free Speech then I am at a loss how tensions between white and black communities will ever heal. I know she is only one person but does the thought of more like her who are also black concern you.
But no one should be murdered. A family should not have to see their brother/ father murdered by a cop while they are restrained.His previous crimes were in the past.He had served time for what he had done. He was trying to start a new life. Why does she need to highlight that?
Old Jun 5th 2020, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
But no one should be murdered. A family should not have to see their brother/ father murdered by a cop while they are restrained.His previous crimes were in the past.He had served time for what he had done. He was trying to start a new life. Why does she need to highlight that?
I agree nobody should be murdered. Why does she need to highlight that fact well you would have to ask her. Her comments lets just say don't exactly help the situation. Now as an ex police officer his past criminal record or other information is only relevant as to how any officer may approach him based on a background check. We clearly see him sat down at one point in cuffs and no threat to anyone. I don't know what details about him were on any data base check but I will be honest if I saw a VIOLENT marker in evidence my awareness of him would be heightened. We can speculate all day about his arrest and subsequent death and I suspect that across America on that day that an arrest was made in similar circumstances where nothing like this happened.

Old Jun 5th 2020, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Exactly - plenty of white people take drugs but you don't hear about them being murdered by the police - or you very very rarely hear of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.