Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Old Jun 3rd 2020, 12:18 pm
  #31  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,700
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Considering where she's gone, does anyone still believe that Meghan's reason for leaving the UK was really based in racism?
Are you being serious?
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 12:23 pm
  #32  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,700
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Meghan was constantly being hunted in the UK and to the point where death threats were reported. Even Harry's and Meghan's child was compared to a monkey. To say she didn't experience more racism there than in America is to not understand the many layers of racism. I just hope we can acknowledge and learn from that situation and get healthier as societies.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 12:24 pm
  #33  
FreeThinker
Thread Starter
 
jimenato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: the moors and levels
Posts: 8,959
jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Are you being serious?
Well if it was her reason she's jumped out of the frying pan into a bloody great fire hasn't she?
jimenato is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 12:37 pm
  #34  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,700
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Well if it was her reason she's jumped out of the frying pan into a bloody great fire hasn't she?
What do you mean "jumped out of the frying pan into a bloody great fire"?

Harry and Meghan are living their best life situated in a posh area of Los Angeles. Is that the fire you're referring to? They are not being hunted or targeted. All those attacks stopped once they left the UK. They are now being nurtured and supported. I hope the George Floyd situation can help us better understand racialize behavior in it's many forms. Police brutality targeting certain people is but one horrible form of racism.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jun 3rd 2020 at 1:17 pm.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 2:09 pm
  #35  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,513
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
What do you mean "jumped out of the frying pan into a bloody great fire"?

Harry and Meghan are living their best life situated in a posh area of Los Angeles. Is that the fire you're referring to? They are not being hunted or targeted. All those attacks stopped once they left the UK. They are now being nurtured and supported. I hope the George Floyd situation can help us better understand racialize behavior in it's many forms. Police brutality targeting certain people is but one horrible form of racism.
I don't quite understand your post? Just because you are " *living your best life" in a rich upmarket area it will not stop racism.

Racism is prevelant in just about all countries in the world. Running away to live in a rich select and secluded area won't help solve the problem.

Someone in that position could help with the problems if they went about it the right way and with the right attitude. People might listen.

* I detest that saying!
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 2:15 pm
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 3,559
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
What do you mean "jumped out of the frying pan into a bloody great fire"?

Harry and Meghan are living their best life situated in a posh area of Los Angeles. Is that the fire you're referring to? They are not being hunted or targeted. All those attacks stopped once they left the UK. They are now being nurtured and supported. I hope the George Floyd situation can help us better understand racialize behavior in it's many forms. Police brutality targeting certain people is but one horrible form of racism.
So as long as she's happy and cossetted in a posh area of Los Angeles, she doesn't really care about the racism experienced by other people of colour at all?
Lynn R is online now  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 2:15 pm
  #37  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,576
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Try watching to the end of the video
I did. And then I watched again because I thought I may have missed the part you were on about.

Here's the text
"We need unity between black, asian, minority and muslim peoples who need the maximum public show of unity because time after time in the past 32 years I've seen efforts of the people of colour to organise, disrupted by white people playing the divide and rule card, and this time can't allow that to happen."
And then the video ends. 30 seconds.

The video title says Diane Abbott calls for uniting against the White's (sic). It's a lie, she does not.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 6:47 pm
  #38  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,700
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
I don't quite understand your post? Just because you are " *living your best life" in a rich upmarket area it will not stop racism.

Racism is prevelant in just about all countries in the world. Running away to live in a rich select and secluded area won't help solve the problem.

Someone in that position could help with the problems if they went about it the right way and with the right attitude. People might listen.

* I detest that saying!
Thanks for posting.

Living in a safe neighborhood very often makes a huge difference for the well being of a minority or any ethnicity family whether it's upmarket or in a medium scale. And I agree that racism is prevalent in every country in the world and worse in others. A good friend of mine and I was having this conversation and he was telling me how things had gotten really bad in his home country of Norway.
I found your question interesting because it touches on a big factor in how many people that have historically been targets of discrimination had to combat racism and xenophobia while existing and hopefully thriving in such challenging circumstances.When someone is being targeted unjustly no matter the reason there's no doubt it helps to have access to friends/family, religious leaders as well as financial resources. Bias in its many forms is something women have dealt with for centuries and the one thing that has helped to even the playing field while dealing with those barriers has been their ability to achieve their own personal wealth.

One of my favorite classes at University was sociology and not just because my Professor was incredible which she was, but also learning about the roadmap many people have taken to overcome being a target of racism or other types of bias. Women like Meghan at one time would have been forced to stay in an unhealthy environment/situation simply because men had all the wealth. I applaud anyone that has the ability to solve a problem on their own and let's be honest that solution is often found in the form of independence usually through financial or legal access.

When I say Harry and Meghan are living their best life that is exactly what they are doing. They feel at ease and are no longer being picked apart for every little reason. But I'm sure they both wished things could have worked out in the UK. Both based on all appearances wanted to live in the UK but it didn't work out so they've moved on. Btw, famous people with their access usually don't experience racism in the same fashion as the average joe, because everyone knows them and normally the repercussions will be harsh for the perpetrator at least here in America. Someone asked Oprah does she experience racism and she said for sure she does but not in the same way as the average person. A police officer is not going to carry out brutality against a well known famous person of color but they can experience what Meghan went through in the UK.

Will Smith once said that racism is not getting worse its simply being recorded. And I have to agree with that statement of fact. Would we even be talking about that innocent man George Floyd if that horrible murder had not be caught on camera. But I must say this incident seem to have sparked something different. I've never seen this much anger and raw outrage world wide in so many places. 20,000 people protested in Australia today. That is amazing! I think a self made woman like Meghan is setting the perfect example by telling people to not accept bad behavior directed at you and to love yourself enough to even walk away when on the receiving end of bias treatment. Sometimes the best demonstration of what to do is by example set by others.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 8:58 pm
  #39  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 15,386
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Thanks for posting.

Living in a safe neighborhood very often makes a huge difference for the well being of a minority or any ethnicity family whether it's upmarket or in a medium scale. And I agree that racism is prevalent in every country in the world and worse in others. A good friend of mine and I was having this conversation and he was telling me how things had gotten really bad in his home country of Norway.
I found your question interesting because it touches on a big factor in how many people that have historically been targets of discrimination had to combat racism and xenophobia while existing and hopefully thriving in such challenging circumstances.When someone is being targeted unjustly no matter the reason there's no doubt it helps to have access to friends/family, religious leaders as well as financial resources. Bias in its many forms is something women have dealt with for centuries and the one thing that has helped to even the playing field while dealing with those barriers has been their ability to achieve their own personal wealth.

One of my favorite classes at University was sociology and not just because my Professor was incredible which she was, but also learning about the roadmap many people have taken to overcome being a target of racism or other types of bias. Women like Meghan at one time would have been forced to stay in an unhealthy environment/situation simply because men had all the wealth. I applaud anyone that has the ability to solve a problem on their own and let's be honest that solution is often found in the form of independence usually through financial or legal access.

When I say Harry and Meghan are living their best life that is exactly what they are doing. They feel at ease and are no longer being picked apart for every little reason. But I'm sure they both wished things could have worked out in the UK. Both based on all appearances wanted to live in the UK but it didn't work out so they've moved on. Btw, famous people with their access usually don't experience racism in the same fashion as the average joe, because everyone knows them and normally the repercussions will be harsh for the perpetrator at least here in America. Someone asked Oprah does she experience racism and she said for sure she does but not in the same way as the average person. A police officer is not going to carry out brutality against a well known famous person of color but they can experience what Meghan went through in the UK.

Will Smith once said that racism is not getting worse its simply being recorded. And I have to agree with that statement of fact. Would we even be talking about that innocent man George Floyd if that horrible murder had not be caught on camera. But I must say this incident seem to have sparked something different. I've never seen this much anger and raw outrage world wide in so many places. 20,000 people protested in Australia today. That is amazing! I think a self made woman like Meghan is setting the perfect example by telling people to not accept bad behavior directed at you and to love yourself enough to even walk away when on the receiving end of bias treatment. Sometimes the best demonstration of what to do is by example set by others.
May I make a suggestion? There's an excellent discussion around racism on this BE sub-forum at the moment, in the George Floyd thread. If you'd like to get involved in that, I'd think you both reach a wider audience and also be exposed to a wider set of viewpoints than you will posting in a thread about Harry and Megan.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:14 pm
  #40  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,518
Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Meghan was constantly being hunted in the UK and to the point where death threats were reported. Even Harry's and Meghan's child was compared to a monkey. To say she didn't experience more racism there than in America is to not understand the many layers of racism. I just hope we can acknowledge and learn from that situation and get healthier as societies.
Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Well if it was her reason she's jumped out of the frying pan into a bloody great fire hasn't she?
Yep - the US has shown the world how tolerant they are - no racism here!!!!!
Derrygal is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:36 pm
  #41  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,174
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I did. And then I watched again because I thought I may have missed the part you were on about.

Here's the text
"We need unity between black, asian, minority and muslim peoples who need the maximum public show of unity because time after time in the past 32 years I've seen efforts of the people of colour to organise, disrupted by white people playing the divide and rule card, and this time can't allow that to happen."
And then the video ends. 30 seconds.

The video title says Diane Abbott calls for uniting against the White's (sic). It's a lie, she does not.
You're splitting hairs a bit and I don't particularly care about your argument because she is clearly anti white, but... If she's not calling for uniting against the whites, then why is she including everyone except whites from her "unity" call? And isn't it rather racist for her to state "'I've seen efforts of the people of colour to organise, disrupted by white people playing the divide and rule card"? Further, given what she said, and her track record why would it not be reasonable to conclude that she is indeed calling for unity against the whites?
paulry is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:45 pm
  #42  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 35,429
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
May I make a suggestion? There's an excellent discussion around racism on this BE sub-forum at the moment, in the George Floyd thread. If you'd like to get involved in that, I'd think you both reach a wider audience and also be exposed to a wider set of viewpoints than you will posting in a thread about Harry and Megan.

BEVS is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2020, 1:15 am
  #43  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,576
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
hen why is she including everyone except whites from her "unity" call?
If you had paid proper attention you would have heard her clearly state that previously those named had been divided. So she wanted unity instead.

Is it really so difficult?
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2020, 12:33 pm
  #44  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Location: France
Posts: 387
tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

It might help some people on here to take a little holiday in south east Morocco, or south Algeria.

See how you come back to the UK or USA feeling a lot more informed about what racism really feels like!
tumbleweedly is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2020, 2:11 pm
  #45  
BE Forum Addict
 
jimf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,332
jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

The Duchess has spoken...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-floyd-killing
jimf is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.