Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Old May 16th 2020, 6:45 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Just be careful that any criticism of a black person isn't immediately blamed on racism.

Ditto women/misogyny.

Old May 16th 2020, 12:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Just be careful that any criticism of a black person isn't immediately blamed on racism.

Ditto women/misogyny.
It doesn't have to go as far as misogyny. There are left-over built in attitudes that still affect, often unconsciously, how people are treated, that's all.

Back when May was PM, something was written to make this point. Funny cos it's true.

https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/13/there...t-man-6005294/
Old May 16th 2020, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto women/misogyny.
Something the Activists seem to forget is that this is a game everybody can play, now quite where is gets us is another matter.
Old May 16th 2020, 12:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Something the Activists seem to forge
It is that this is a game everybody can play, now quite where is gets us is another matter.
It might get you a new handbag, if you're lucky.
Old May 16th 2020, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Something the Activists seem to forget is that this is a game everybody can play, now quite where is gets us is another matter.
To me unless I can see there is a very clear case that these prejudices have crept in, it simply serves to identify those who are obsessed with identity politics. From that point on I know there isn't really a debate to be had with them. And the example I posted above of Dianne Abbott very clearly behaving in a racist way, yet none of the usual culprits said a dickybird about it shows their rank hypocrisy, IMO.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

George Floyd's death is a reminder of what people of color experience every single day in various forms in the UK, America and in all the other countries in the western world. Parents that raise children of color are forced to have THE TALK about how to navigate racism in society at the tender ages of 7 and 10 years old. Which has to be heart breaking for a parent that is raising a beautiful child of color. Maybe this George Floyd discussion will help a lot of people better understand the experience Meghan and Harry had gone through in the UK.

How she experienced death threats and was the focal point of intense anger because she was different from previous Royals, and how some of that aggression towards her was historically unmistakably hidden in a covert fashion but often the true intent did seek out just enough to be recognized by people that know what it looks like. And some of that incoming fire was blatant and did not need an explanation of intent. I think what it comes down to is, in some countries racism in all it's forms, is combated out in the open and it can feel very uncomfortable, but there are countries where racism is swept under the rug. Some but not all people want to pretend it does not exist.

These are opportunities to gain a better understanding that racism and xenophobia is not always obvious and sometimes not consciously used. But I will say that if a person is married to a person of color or have a child of color this conversation is easier to comprehend because they live it. Life is about learning!
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
To me unless I can see there is a very clear case that these prejudices have crept in, it simply serves to identify those who are obsessed with identity politics. From that point on I know there isn't really a debate to be had with them. And the example I posted above of Dianne Abbott very clearly behaving in a racist way, yet none of the usual culprits said a dickybird about it shows their rank hypocrisy, IMO.
Exactly Diana is the most racist MP but silence.

I have a number of friends who might be described as main stream Dems, but when IP comes up they just shake their heads, why do it, why go there?
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 7:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... the example I posted above of Dianne Abbott very clearly behaving in a racist way, yet none of the usual culprits said a dickybird about it shows their rank hypocrisy, IMO.
"Diane Abbott calls for uniting against the White's"
I watched this one. I heard a call for Unity. I heard nothing about uniting, or being anything, against the whites.
I can only assume you read the title and didn't watch.

You might also consider that "the usual culprits" are barely interested in the thread title.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 2nd 2020 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I watched this one. I heard a call for Unity. I heard nothing about uniting, or being anything, against the whites.

You might also consider that "the usual culprits" are barely interested in the thread title.
But if they hold DA up as a beacon of anti-racism but then fail to see anything wrong her racist words suggests its not the thread title that they are barely interested in.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 9:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

But if they hold DA up as a beacon of anti-racism but then fail to see anything wrong her racist words suggests its not the thread title that they are barely interested in.
1) What racist words?
2)The thread title is about Harry and Meghan. You seem to be confused with the youtube title. I was suggesting that someone who might want to respond your strange idea that there was racism in that video would need to see your post. They might be unlikely to see it if they have no interest in a Harry and Meghan and therefore don't enter the thread.

Try to read less quickly
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Diane has a looooong history of racism, I can not believe you want to go there.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 12:25 am
Oscar nominated

Diane has a looooong history of racism, I can not believe you want to go there.
I'm not going anywhere. I simply responded about Paulry's 30 second video that isn't what he or the title says.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 6:25 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Considering where she's gone, does anyone still believe that Meghan's reason for leaving the UK was really based in racism?
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

Considering where she's gone, does anyone still believe that Meghan's reason for leaving the UK was really based in racism?
So perceptive of you.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

1) What racist words?
2)The thread title is about Harry and Meghan. You seem to be confused with the youtube title. I was suggesting that someone who might want to respond your strange idea that there was racism in that video would need to see your post. They might be unlikely to see it if they have no interest in a Harry and Meghan and therefore don't enter the thread.

Try to read less quickly
Try watching to the end of the video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.