Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Old May 15th 2020, 6:12 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic posts discussing Racism moved from H&M Stepping Back Thread

Originally Posted by paulry View Post

...For that poster to suggest racism is both ridiculous and insulting.
It's odd. I don't really know why some people think that and when asked about it they seem reluctant to discuss it.
Old May 15th 2020, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Interesting. What makes you think that?
The editor of OK magazine publicly announced they had to hire additional personnel to do a lot of hard work in taking down posted comments on their site. And not basic critical comments about Meghan. We're talking about blatant obvious racist comments that were taken down. Buckingham Palace has said they've had to do the exact same thing. I personally watched a British Reporter say something completely racist about Meghan and it was so cringe worthy that her comments were shown on American news channels multiple times. People simply could not believe she felt comfortable saying something so wrong by any standard of decency. So it's not stimming from my own formation of an opinion that there is some tribalism involved, it's down to the behavior of how some people are acting. I certainly wish it was true that racism and xenophobia didn't exist in the world. Would make for a better place to raise kids. But I have actually met people that believe there is no such thing as racism.
Old May 15th 2020, 7:11 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Don't read the bottom half of the internet - that takes care of the posts on the OK site. I can't believe they are taking any notice of that crap.

I'll google for what the reporter said - it should be easy to find by your description. If I can't find it you will have to give me some more clues.

But whatever, I don't believe that the vast majority of the British public give two hoots about the fact that she is of mixed race.
Old May 15th 2020, 7:55 pm
FreeThinker

The only two references I can find is Danny Baker who stupidly posted a cartoon likening their son (whatever his name is) to a chimp and was immediately sacked and roundly condemned by the public and the press. By the way he swears it was a mistake which makes him a twat rather than anything else.

And I found a British reporter (don't know her name) who dubbed Meghan as '5 clicks up from trailer trash' which while not being very nice is hardly racist.

My impression of the attitude of the British public is demonstrated by their admiration of her mother (black) who they saw at the wedding and admired her dignity and poise, and their quizzical view of the father (white) who appears to be somewhat less dignified and poised and of her sister (also white) - both of whom appear on the surface to deserve the 'trailer trash' epithet more than Meghan or her Mum.

Also compare how Meghan was been treated with how other princesses have been treated at the hands of the British public - Camilla and Sarah Ferguson in particular have been given a very hard time and they are both white.

It's as if the people crying 'racism!' are only seeing her as black. She is an awful lot of other things as well apart from being black though - she is also a celebrity, beautiful, a princess, an actress, American, rich - even just being a woman is enough to attract the opprobrium of the Great British Public.

Old May 15th 2020, 10:32 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

The only two references I can find is Danny Baker who stupidly posted a cartoon likening their son (whatever his name is) to a chimp and was immediately sacked and roundly condemned by the public and the press. By the way he swears it was a mistake which makes him a twat rather than anything else.

And I found a British reporter (don't know her name) who dubbed Meghan as '5 clicks up from trailer trash' which while not being very nice is hardly racist.

My impression of the attitude of the British public is demonstrated by their admiration of her mother (black) who they saw at the wedding and admired her dignity and poise, and their quizzical view of the father (white) who appears to be somewhat less dignified and poised and of her sister (also white) - both of whom appear on the surface to deserve the 'trailer trash' epithet more than Meghan or her Mum.

Also compare how Meghan was been treated with how other princesses have been treated at the hands of the British public - Camilla and Sarah Ferguson in particular have been given a very hard time and they are both white.

It's as if the people crying 'racism!' are only seeing her as black. She is an awful lot of other things as well apart from being black though - she is also a celebrity, beautiful, a princess, an actress, American, rich - even just being a woman is enough to attract the opprobrium of the Great British Public.
Karma for a quality post.
Old May 15th 2020, 10:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

even just being a woman is enough to attract the opprobrium of the Great British Public.
There's no even about it - right here on BE people such as Angela Merkel, Hilary Clinton and Diane Abbott, for example, have been on the receiving end of treatment and comments the nature of which was entirely due to their sex.

In the case of these two people - yeah, blame the woman. She's undoubtedly to blame for the various dysfunctions of the Windsors

Just leaving them alone would probably be best for everyone.
Old May 16th 2020, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Calling black or mixed black people ghetto trash is one of those racist code words spouted by people who don't want to say the N word. The Obama were called ghetto by some in the conservative world. In Meghan's case it is "trailer trash" which is a term not normally used against blacks, yet is still sneering at her perceived poor trashy background.

The Daily Mail said Meghan was " (almost) Straight outa Compton".

I would not say racism is the major factor, but racism is a factor. There are other factors.

Here are some glaring differences in how the Tabloids reacted to Kate and Meghan doing essentially the same thing
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tandards-royal

Last edited by Boomhauer; May 16th 2020 at 12:48 am.
Old May 16th 2020, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
There's no even about it - right here on BE people such as Angela Merkel, Hilary Clinton and Diane Abbott, for example, have been on the receiving end of treatment and comments the nature of which was entirely due to their sex.

In the case of these two people - yeah, blame the woman. She's undoubtedly to blame for the various dysfunctions of the Windsors

Just leaving them alone would probably be best for everyone.
Who famously said "Jeremy Corbyn wants to scrap MI5” and that the Labour leader has “said he would disband MI5”.

Who famously said "
300,000…pounds that it would cost to fund a Labour policy for 10,000 more policemen during the 2017 General Election in an interview with LBC Radio’s Nick Ferrari.That would have left them earning just £30 a year.

Now based on those 2 statements if those statements are not true/accurate then does whoever said them face scrutiny and to be called out on them?
Old May 16th 2020, 1:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Who famously said "300,000…pounds that it would cost to fund a Labour policy for 10,000 more policemen during the 2017 General Election in an interview with LBC Radio’s Nick Ferrari.That would have left them earning just £30 a year.
Maybe the sort of person who forgets to include an M or a K here and there?.
Have you never seen a post on BE or anywhere where someone referenced a salary of $8,000 a year or a house for $300 or a footballer on £220 a week or...
Old May 16th 2020, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, the racist card didn't work this time so lets quickly move onto the misogynist card.
Old May 16th 2020, 1:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Who famously said "Jeremy Corbyn wants to scrap MI5” and that the Labour leader has “said he would disband MI5”.

Who famously said "
300,000…pounds that it would cost to fund a Labour policy for 10,000 more policemen during the 2017 General Election in an interview with LBC Radio’s Nick Ferrari.That would have left them earning just £30 a year.

Now based on those 2 statements if those statements are not true/accurate then does whoever said them face scrutiny and to be called out on them?

Not sure what your point is here tbh. I didn't say a person should not be criticized because they are female. I named 3 women who were criticized in particular ways (ugly, fat, old, bitch, too aggressive, etc etc etc) because they are women, not on words or deeds. In the case of the Windsor couple, it's the classic "she must be the problem" thing. She wanted his money, she broke up the family, she broke up the brothers, when nobody has the slightest idea at all of what went on. In my case, I don't actually care what went on but obviously some do.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 16th 2020 at 1:57 am.
Old May 16th 2020, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what your point is here tbh. I didn't say a person should not be criticized because they are female. I named 3 women who were criticized in particular ways (ugly, fat, old, bitch, too aggressive, etc etc etc) because they are women, not on words or deeds. In the case of the Windsor couple, it's the classic "she must be the problem" thing. She wanted his money, she broke up the family, she broke up the brothers, when nobody has the slightest idea at all of what went on. In my case, I don't actually care what went on but obviously some do.
My point was simply that both male and female can be criticized by both male and female. I am pretty sure that many a famous person talked about on BE that are male have been called ugly, fat, old, too aggressive etc etc but granted not a bitch as that is usually a term when describing a female of a species. Although to be fair when a male is in prison they do tend to call them bitches if perceived to be weak. Too many posts to look over but it wouldn't surprise me if Trump has been referred to as Putins Bitch. Many a man has been criticized in the same way by females especially if dating a good looking female celebrity.
Anyhow lets not start a battle between the sexes.
Old May 16th 2020, 2:31 am

My point was simply that both male and female can be criticized by both male and female. I am pretty sure that many a famous person talked about on BE that are male have been called ugly, fat, old, too aggressive etc etc but granted not a bitch as that is usually a term when describing a female of a species. Although to be fair when a male is in prison they do tend to call them bitches if perceived to be weak. Too many posts to look over but it wouldn't surprise me if Trump has been referred to as Putins Bitch. Many a man has been criticized in the same way by females especially if dating a good looking female celebrity.
Anyhow lets not start a battle between the sexes.

No, but I don't disagree with your first sentence.

Thatcher used to come in for it as well. Too aggressive, too strident, the handbag jokes, then a weak woman for crying when her idiot son was temporarily lost in the desert. She was a vile person in my estimation, but I still noted the different quality of the criticism.
Old May 16th 2020, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Since we're on the subjects of racism and also Dianne Abbott, when are our resident woke brigade going to call out her clearly racist behaviour? Or are they just hypocrites?

Old May 16th 2020, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Calling black or mixed black people ghetto trash is one of those racist code words spouted by people who don't want to say the N word. The Obama were called ghetto by some in the conservative world. In Meghan's case it is "trailer trash" which is a term not normally used against blacks, yet is still sneering at her perceived poor trashy background.

The Daily Mail said Meghan was " (almost) Straight outa Compton".

I would not say racism is the major factor, but racism is a factor. There are other factors.

Here are some glaring differences in how the Tabloids reacted to Kate and Meghan doing essentially the same thing
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tandards-royal
It can make a person wonder what is it like to be a person of color and live in a world where some people don't understand how challenging it truly is to be seen as over reacting to constant bombardment of racialized attacks. I tell many male associates that they don't and can't comprehend how it feels to be a woman that receives gender bias treatment over and over. Walk a day in a person's shoes and that experience can be so enlightening. Racialized attacks can desensitize a person to a point where they lose the ability to care about and trust other people and not to mention experience other emotional damage.

But I also think there are a lot of good people that don't realize how widespread and how often bias is used and the many forms bias whether gender, ethnicity or nationality are displayed. Meghan was receiving overt and covert racism constantly. If she made a social faux pas it was made 100 times worse because of the built-in bias against her. And all a person has to do is ask the various minority groups in the UK and ask them if they were surprised why she and Harry had to remove themselves from the firing zone. I remember a funny line from Dave Chappelle, where he said after several Caucasians heard about the police abuse of young minority youth, those whites were shocked and had no idea so many people of color were victims of racial brutality. I think the truth is a lot of people actually don't recognize obvious abuse happening in the world, and for that reason many certainly wouldn't be aware about more subtle racialized abuse even in the form of verbal abuse. But there is a percentage of people who could careless if certain people are on the receiving end of racialized or xenophobic attacks. It's a way of equalizing the deck of cards. The media spends a great deal of time and energy attempting to stoke those very people.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; May 16th 2020 at 2:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.