Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Old Mar 21st 2020, 9:38 pm
  #31  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 12,132
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
If what you are suggested happened then I have faith that the British government and the NHS would do their best to contain it and limit its spread. They wouldn't attempt to conceal its existence and drop the entire world in a massive pile of shit like the Chinese have done.
They didn´t manage to contain the spread of the Windrush virus particularly well, long, long after they were fully aware of its existence. In fact, if it wasn't for the work of fearless, diligent and persistent journalists exposing it all to the world they'd have very happily carried on actively spreading it.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 9:54 pm
  #32  
Sidecar Falcon
Thread Starter
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,680
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
They didn´t manage to contain the spread of the Windrush virus particularly well, long, long after they were fully aware of its existence. In fact, if it wasn't for the work of fearless, diligent and persistent journalists exposing it all to the world they'd have very happily carried on actively spreading it.
That wasn't a virus though was it and the last time I checked the home office didn't kill anyone.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 10:18 pm
  #33  
Devourer of Haribo
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru
Posts: 20,830
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
And it's the one and only time that I agree with him. He is the only world leader really telling it like it is and calling China to account for their complete **** up. Very possibly because he is the only one with the power to stare them down but on this one occasion I applaud him.
Has Trump been honest to Americans regarding the virus?

He's a proven liar as an individual, and as President.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
That wasn't a virus though was it and the last time I checked the home office didn't kill anyone.
Not directly, but decisions made by the Home Office have resulted in deaths.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 10:31 pm
  #34  
Sidecar Falcon
Thread Starter
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,680
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Has Trump been honest to Americans regarding the virus?

He's a proven liar as an individual, and as President.



Not directly, but decisions made by the Home Office have resulted in deaths.
Sorry but when Donald Trump or the Home Office unleash a viral strain that results in the manslaughter of over 200 British citizens (and counting) as well as countless others across the world then your argument might carry some weight. Until then I'm afraid that it just doesn't.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 10:41 pm
  #35  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 77,194
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Sorry but when Donald Trump or the Home Office unleash a viral strain that results in the manslaughter of over 200 British citizens (and counting) as well as countless others across the world then your argument might carry some weight. Until then I'm afraid that it just doesn't.
Trump unleashed to corona virus on the US by lying about it while it silently spread through the population. Thousands more will die than ever should have because of what he's done. The virus didn't come to the US because of Chinese tourists. It was Americans, through tourism and business, who came back from international travel. You need to get a grip.
Leslie is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 10:45 pm
  #36  
Sidecar Falcon
Thread Starter
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,680
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Trump unleashed to corona virus on the US by lying about it while it silently spread through the population. Thousands more will die than ever should have because of what he's done. The virus didn't come to the US because of Chinese tourists. It was Americans, through tourism and business, who came back from international travel. You need to get a grip.
That's what I've been saying from the beginning. China needs to be isolated from the rest of the world to prevent anything like this from ever happening again. Heavily restricting Chinese tourism would just be one very simple way to work towards that. China is not fit to be a member of the international community.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:09 pm
  #37  
Devourer of Haribo
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru
Posts: 20,830
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
That's what I've been saying from the beginning. China needs to be isolated from the rest of the world to prevent anything like this from ever happening again. Heavily restricting Chinese tourism would just be one very simple way to work towards that. China is not fit to be a member of the international community.
Which is not what Leslie said....
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:12 pm
  #38  
Sidecar Falcon
Thread Starter
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,680
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Honestly though, I think what really bothers me is that people should be angry about this. Because of China, people have lost their lives, their loved ones, their education, their sense of safety and self respect and countless other things that we have come to take for granted as a peaceful and democratic society.

We didn't ask for it and neither did we do anything to deserve it. It was thrust upon us, and indeed most of the world, by a pariah state but one so powerful that it won't be held to account and it knows it. The only thing that disgusts me more than China is the complacent attitude of many in this country and elsewhere which, let's face it, mostly seems to be based more on political correctness rather than anything else.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 22nd 2020 at 1:00 am. Reason: Post quoted deleted
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:17 pm
  #39  
Sidecar Falcon
Thread Starter
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,680
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Which is not what Leslie said....
I understand that. I don't know that the virus was taken to America by a Chinese tourist. My point is that travel to and from China should be heavily restricted once travel resumes on a global scale until China can actually start to behave like a decent and reputable country.

If the mafia or Isis had unleashed this thing upon the world would you all be so equally forgiving?
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:24 pm
  #40  
Devourer of Haribo
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru
Posts: 20,830
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

You said;

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
That wasn't a virus though was it and the last time I checked the home office didn't kill anyone.
I responded with;

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Not directly, but decisions made by the Home Office have resulted in deaths.
You took a different direction.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Sorry but when Donald Trump or the Home Office unleash a viral strain that results in the manslaughter of over 200 British citizens (and counting) as well as countless others across the world then your argument might carry some weight. Until then I'm afraid that it just doesn't.
As has been pointed out, Trump has made decisions regarding the virus that has led to American deaths, as has the UK government of which the Home Office is part of.

Had the UK or US been where the initial outbreak occured, I have little faith that either would have done anything different to what China did, given the way both UK and US governments have handled it even when they knew it was coming.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:31 pm
  #41  
Sidecar Falcon
Thread Starter
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,680
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
You said;



I responded with;



You took a different direction.



As has been pointed out, Trump has made decisions regarding the virus that has led to American deaths, as has the UK government of which the Home Office is part of.

Had the UK or US been where the initial outbreak occured, I have little faith that either would have done anything different to what China did, given the way both UK and US governments have handled it even when they knew it was coming.
We can only speculate on that? What we do know for a fact is that China covered this thing up and as a direct result of that, millions across the world are now suffering. Honestly and all bullshit aside, how can you not be angry about that?
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:39 pm
  #42  
Devourer of Haribo
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru
Posts: 20,830
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I understand that. I don't know that the virus was taken to America by a Chinese tourist. My point is that travel to and from China should be heavily restricted once travel resumes on a global scale until China can actually start to behave like a decent and reputable country.

If the mafia or Isis had unleashed this thing upon the world would you all be so equally forgiving?
This wasn't 'unleashed' by China, it happened because people in a Chinese town were eating animals not intended to be a part of the human diet. Nature then did what nature does, and mutated.

If the same had happened in Syria, there'd be mass hysteria over terrorists, etc, but had it happened in a Christian country, many of the same talking nutjobs would be claiming God had sent a plague.

Some people, including you, always need a scapegoat to blame. But your suggestion of banning Chinese tourism until it becomes a 'civilised country' misses one important point, that become civilised doesn't come from restricting those people, but by showing them the benefits of civilisation.

But 'civilised' the way you seem to define it in this context is just a thin excuse to be anti-Chinese. They're one of the oldest civilisations in the world.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:46 pm
  #43  
Devourer of Haribo
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru
Posts: 20,830
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
We can only speculate on that? What we do know for a fact is that China covered this thing up and as a direct result of that, millions across the world are now suffering. Honestly and all bullshit aside, how can you not be angry about that?
Why do I need to be angry right now? Is that going to fix the problem, or change history, or change my preparations for it? No, it isn't, so no, I'm not going to be angry about it. Do I wish things had been done differently, of course I do, but there are already enough angry idiots abusing or being violent to Chinese and other Asians because they're angry at what they've been told to be angry about.

Hundreds of Chinese also died because of what their government did. I'm sure their families aren't going to forget that.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 12:06 am
  #44  
Sidecar Falcon
Thread Starter
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,680
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post

Some people, including you, always need a scapegoat to blame. But your suggestion of banning Chinese tourism until it becomes a 'civilised country' misses one important point, that become civilised doesn't come from restricting those people, but by showing them the benefits of civilisation.
Clearly spoken by someone with only limited knowledge of mainland Chinese tourists. They are well known for being rude, loud, selfish and unhygienic.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion.../#.XnaplyCnwQY
​​​​
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...urists-so-rude

When I stayed at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur last year, the Chinese tourists were actually allocated their own section of the breakfast room because of complaints from other guests regarding their attitude and behaviour. I actually chastised one of them for taking holiday photos of the gym equipment while I was ****ing using it.

And China DID unleash this on the world. When the virus was discovered, the doctors initially discussing it found themselves banned from social media and their private WeChat group was inexplicably shut down. They were then arrested and faced hours of interrogation under an accusation of "spreading rumour".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world...china-51364382

This is China's fault. It is a biological weapon that has been deployed, albeit possibly accidentally, by the Chinese government. You can be as PC as you like about this but that's just simply how it is. Unfortunately the only way to prevent this from ever happening again is for all countries, including the UK, to massively re-evaluate their relationship with China and impose a set of permanent and radical visa restrictions.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Mar 22nd 2020 at 12:13 am.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 12:11 am
  #45  
Sidecar Falcon
Thread Starter
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,680
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Why do I need to be angry right now? Is that going to fix the problem, or change history, or change my preparations for it? No, it isn't, so no, I'm not going to be angry about it. Do I wish things had been done differently, of course I do, but there are already enough angry idiots abusing or being violent to Chinese and other Asians because they're angry at what they've been told to be angry about.

Hundreds of Chinese also died because of what their government did. I'm sure their families aren't going to forget that.
They won't do anything about it though simply because they can't. The West imposing more visa restrictions on China is likely going to have more of an impact because the Chinese who can afford to travel to Europe and North America are more likely to be the ones with influence.

It's your choice as to whether or not you're angry about it but personally after seeing hundreds of British people killed by the reckless actions of the Chinese state, not to mention the untold and long term devastating impact on our healthcare system and economy, I'm furious.
DigitalGhost is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.