Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland

Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Northern Ireland

Not a wind up, I would really like to know.

Why was N.I. not granted independence along with the south?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:43 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Ireland

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post

Because NI was and is mainly the most loyal and Royalist of all countries in the UK. Like the Falklands Island they wanted to remain part of the UK.
My parents still stand for the Queen and the anthem etc
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:53 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Wait until Tucs and Big Davy G see this one
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:57 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown View Post
Wait until Tucs and Big Davy G see this one
I know, I'm giving the simple one liner and waiting for Wellington with the long history answer, others for their side of political answers, the couple of replies who don't give a damn about NI and will let people know about it, the few 'bomb throwers' who just want to stir it up.
Am I missing anyone?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:59 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u View Post
I know, I'm giving the simple one liner and waiting for Wellington with the long history answer, others for their side of political answers, the couple of replies who don't give a damn about NI and will let people know about it, the few 'bomb throwers' who just want to stir it up.
Am I missing anyone?
The short answer is the Northern Ireland Parliament opted out of joining Eire in the 1920s. That's the potted version, I'm sure some will disagree with the reasons behind it.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:04 pm

The short answer is the Northern Ireland Parliament opted out of joining Eire in the 1920s. That's the potted version, I'm sure some will disagree with the reasons behind it.
That was shorter than mine and had the history in it
OK thread over
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

The Dail (Irish parl) wanted all 32 counties and Stormont wanted to keep Ulster (9 counties), the industrial and financial capitals. The Dail settled for 26counties therefore splitting Ulster with 3 counties in the republic and 6 still attached to U.K. The Dail accepted the deal thinking they would get the other 6 at a later date. History has told us this was not so, hence the fighting which has been going on sporadically through the generations.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

What Framac has neglected to mention, and its THE main reason why the partition took place is religion.
The North had a majority Protestant population and thats why they chose to opt out, they did not want to end up a a minority in a majority Catholic state.

To be honest the story is so complicated that a simple answer is very hard to give, the subsequent split in the Nationalist movement caused much of the violence, and the British were not the first targets, the RIC bore the brunt of that for a long time, and it was when the general strikes and civil disobedience took place, followed by the collapse of the Inland Revenue in ireland that the British entered in force. The rest is history!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Anyone recommend some good books on the subject?
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:44 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Stick to something as factual as you can.
Failing that you can read the numerous books out there published by terrorists and murderers glorifying their former exploits.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:13 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.kennysirishbookshop.ie/

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Troub.../dp/0671537385

The second is a book i have read and it was brilliant.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Thank you.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Try "The committee" by Sean McPhilemy but you wont get it in the UK as its too truthful.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by framac View Post
Try "The committee" by Sean McPhilemy but you wont get it in the UK as its too truthful.
That would be the same 'The Committee' that was on Channel 4 then?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:18 am
owd tosser

JYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond reputeJYKelly has a reputation beyond repute

That would be the same 'The Committee' that was on Channel 4 then?
I remember that, that Colin Crompton bloke right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.