British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   The New Conservative Age - a good thing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/new-conservative-age-good-thing-935060/)

Red Eric Feb 14th 2021 11:28 am

Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Strange - no mention of that on the Mail / Express / Telegraph / BBC websites.

Scamp Feb 14th 2021 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12971736)
Strange - no mention of that on the Mail / Express / Telegraph / BBC websites.

No mention of what?

Red Eric Feb 14th 2021 1:10 pm

What was in the immediately preceding post.

I don't like to waste any of the world's stock of pixels unnecessarily, so by default I don't usually quote if I'm replying to the last post.

Jerseygirl Feb 14th 2021 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12971769)

I don't like to waste any of the world's stock of pixels unnecessarily, so by default I don't usually quote if I'm replying to the last post.

It saves confusion if you do quote the post you are replying to. Do pixels need saving...is there a limited supply? :D

BristolUK Feb 14th 2021 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12971879)
Do pixels need saving...is there a limited supply? :D

Just sprinkle some pixel dust

Lion in Winter Feb 14th 2021 5:41 pm

Do pixels need saving...is there a limited supply? :D

There's nobody willing to pick them any more, and those we can harvest are held up in the ports due to red tape and duties.

kimilseung Feb 14th 2021 6:58 pm

This is how Boiler started, that slippery slope led to him, not needing to make reference to anything, if he alone knew what he was talking about, which slipped further to not needing facts if the post contains letters, as adding up the number of letters, created data.

Red Eric Feb 14th 2021 7:04 pm

It saves confusion if you do quote the post you are replying to.

Sorry JG - you're absolutely right, I'd forgotten about Scamp. :o

dave_j Feb 14th 2021 8:01 pm

Let's not forget the Pixel Dust wars of the 80's, they all happened so long ago and so many pixels lost forever, but we remember every single one of them... don't we?
So what have they to do with New Conservatism, you ask.
Well nothing at all so....
The theme of this thread is that there appears to be a resurgence of far right political parties, or 'new conservatives' as some would seek to associate them.
Conservatism does tend to occupy the rightish part of the political spectrum but this is a fluid concept and I find myself asking the question 'Why call it New Conservatism' in the first place?
So I googled the term.
Quick definitions had me linking the term to Neoconservatism, but if that's the case why not call it that?
However most links I read did place the term securely within the US and specifically within the republican party. What it didn't do was to associate it with far right groups like the AFD in germany.
So I'm none the wiser.
"No change there then!" I hear you say.

Jerseygirl Feb 14th 2021 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12971922)
This is how Boiler started, that slippery slope led to him, not needing to make reference to anything, if he alone knew what he was talking about, which slipped further to not needing facts if the post contains letters, as adding up the number of letters, created data.

but, but, but...if he knew what he was talking about, he wouldn’t be our pet troll would he? :sneaky:

BEVS Feb 15th 2021 12:05 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12924131)
And did anyone notice NZ's Jacinda Arden comprehensively won re-election on many of Corbyn Labour's 2017 policies? Of course, her handling of NZ's Covid definitely didn't harm her chances though... :p

Also her handling of the Xch mosque shootings and the White Island volcano eruption. She showed strong leadership and that remains the case. The majority of people feel safe or safer in her and her team's hands. She ensures that she and her team seem reachable. There is still criticism though re affordable housing , infrastructure, China and the like, however much are hangovers from the previous national government. Further the handling of the aftermath of the Xch quake of 2011 was something of a shambles by the national govt of that time. Likewise the Kaikoura quake also. Faith was lost what with the bungling and then what was seen as selling out to China.

Scamp Feb 15th 2021 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12971738)
No mention of what?

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12971924)
Sorry JG - you're absolutely right, I'd forgotten about Scamp. :o

So that joke was clearly too advanced.

I’ll dumb it down in future.

Red Eric Feb 15th 2021 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12973517)
So that joke was clearly too advanced.

I’ll dumb it down in future.

:rofl:

:p

Scamp Feb 15th 2021 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12973545)
:rofl:

:p

I'll be honest, on my screen my reply ended up on a new page, so if that was the case for you I can be more generous.

Lion in Winter Feb 18th 2021 12:14 am

To counteract the new conservative age, I see that Neal Lawson is suggesting that a progressive political alliance is the only thing that could defeat the Tories at the next election, due to a variety of things such as redistricting, where the possible seats for Labour might be, and where the Lib Dem seats might be.They had better get on with creating an actual political proposal though.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tives-election