Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Old Oct 11th 2020, 1:06 am
  #46  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,334
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
My wife and I watched the documentary "Uncle Tom" last night, where black conservatives have their say. Very inspirational watching, the story of people who have been fed the narrative of victims who while acknowledging they had a horrific past were able to pull themselves beyond all of that, love their country and make the most of the very many opportunities that their country extended to them. The recognition by them that they are not so-called liberals but are conservatives and the world is their oyster. In contrast to those who have been made to believe that they are perpetual victims owed reparations, and that the system is stacked against them. Very interesting and very inspirational - a very human story with circumstances, responses and results that has been replicated around the world. People who refuse to accept the "liberal" narrative that they are victims - whether that victim narrative is right or wrong, consistently do better than those who wallow in it. Still pondering over many of the things that were discussed. Would love to sit at a table with all of the people who featured in the documentary and to learn more. I think there is something in that documentary for everyone to learn.
I'll have a look for that one - what channel aired it?

I watched Storyville, Undercover in the Alt-Right - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nkb7

I was watching on BBC World News using a fetch box, but I think it is aired elsewhere too.

Some of the stuff caught on camera was not only shocking, but saddening. The guy who went undercover now lives in a secret location, but continues to work for 'Hope not Hate' I think.
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2020, 1:15 am
  #47  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
I'll have a look for that one - what channel aired it?

I watched Storyville, Undercover in the Alt-Right - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nkb7

I was watching on BBC World News using a fetch box, but I think it is aired elsewhere too.

Some of the stuff caught on camera was not only shocking, but saddening. The guy who went undercover now lives in a secret location, but continues to work for 'Hope not Hate' I think.
There's a web site called Uncle Tom. It's not free though but worth what they're charging if we consider it's a lot cheaper than a cinema ticket.

A pity, I haven't long ago unsubscribed from Fetch TV, but I'll have a look for it. Sometimes Storyville, etc gets rebranded to Four Corners by the ABC.
paulry is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2020, 1:25 am
  #48  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,320
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
There's a web site called Uncle Tom. It's not free though but worth what they're charging if we consider it's a lot cheaper than a cinema ticket.

A pity, I haven't long ago unsubscribed from Fetch TV, but I'll have a look for it. Sometimes Storyville, etc gets rebranded to Four Corners by the ABC.
is Thomas Sowell included? I do enjoy listening to and reading him.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2020, 2:02 am
  #49  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
is Thomas Sowell included? I do enjoy listening to and reading him.
No, he's not, unfortunately. A pity because from what I've read and seen of him he's very much consistent with the message in "Uncle Tom". Pretty much all of the people in the film are in a younger demographic. It would be interesting to see how (and if) things chime - or not, with the older conservative demographic. What do you like about Thomas Sowell's views?

I've just finished watching a video called "Thomas Sowell - Liberal Policy wreaks havoc on Blacks", and I agree with just about everything he says in it. Another person is also in that video: Charles Murray, who argues pretty well for UBI for all, which sounds good in theory but I wonder if in practice it would work out as well as he describes.
paulry is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2020, 3:57 am
  #50  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,320
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
No, he's not, unfortunately. A pity because from what I've read and seen of him he's very much consistent with the message in "Uncle Tom". Pretty much all of the people in the film are in a younger demographic. It would be interesting to see how (and if) things chime - or not, with the older conservative demographic. What do you like about Thomas Sowell's views?
I've just finished watching a video called "Thomas Sowell - Liberal Policy wreaks havoc on Blacks", and I agree with just about everything he says in it. Another person is also in that video: Charles Murray, who argues pretty well for UBI for all, which sounds good in theory but I wonder if in practice it would work out as well as he describes.
Well, I dont really like anything about his views, he is a conservative and I am not. But he makes arguments in a reasoned and knowledgeable way, and that is usually interesting, and can get us all to reevaluate and edit our own thoughts. Being exposed to different view points can get us to recalibrate our own viewpoints both by moving towards their view point and hearing weaknesses that can also help strengthen our own viewpoint, but it is rare for it to be wasted time.
One thing Sowell does do is try to expand our views on slavery, getting us to view it as something almost universal and current. which it indeed is. He gets us to challenge the American-centric (and often the way much of the World see it too) view of slavery as a unique American experience. Many people are surprised to find that what is now the USA had what? 5% of that triangular trade. The Caribbean and Brazil taking the lions shares. Of course people have tried to see Sowell and his sources as a way to claim that slavery is an irrelevance. Ubiquity does not diminish the importance of the component parts. The British have by and large accepted the American-centric view, combined with slavery being illegal on British soli has made it easy for Britons to distance their history from slavery. Sowell helps remind us that the British were more involved with it than America itself.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2020, 4:33 am
  #51  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
But he makes arguments in a reasoned and knowledgeable way, and that is usually interesting, and can get us all to reevaluate and edit our own thoughts. Being exposed to different view points can get us to recalibrate our own viewpoints both by moving towards their view point and hearing weaknesses that can also help strengthen our own viewpoint, but it is rare for it to be wasted time.
Yep, I agree with that. We can all learn some things from each other and understand what motivates those who disagree with our points of view. Few people are entirely one-sided, ideology-wise. As an example, I believe in universal health care, the social safety net, and a hand up for the disadvantaged, but I also support libertarian free market capitalism and while some might say one is at odds with the other, I believe that one generates the wealth, innovation and drive that is needed to provide the other.

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
One thing Sowell does do is try to expand our views on slavery, getting us to view it as something almost universal and current. which it indeed is. He gets us to challenge the American-centric (and often the way much of the World see it too) view of slavery as a unique American experience. Many people are surprised to find that what is now the USA had what? 5% of that triangular trade. The Caribbean and Brazil taking the lions shares. Of course people have tried to see Sowell and his sources as a way to claim that slavery is an irrelevance. Ubiquity does not diminish the importance of the component parts. The British have by and large accepted the American-centric view, combined with slavery being illegal on British soli has made it easy for Britons to distance their history from slavery. Sowell helps remind us that the British were more involved with it than America itself.
Yes, slavery happened but slavery is still happening. We cannot change the past and we can't blame a proportion of todays people for past but we can do a huge amount to stop where it is currently happening - especially where we have some responsibility in creating the conditions that has led to it currently occurring. Libya is a specific example, China another. And there are other places where slavery is also occurring now in the middle east and north Africa.So while we are busy chewing ourselves up for something that was halted by out ancestors generations ago what is being done to stop the slavery that is occurring today?

Last edited by paulry; Oct 11th 2020 at 5:51 am. Reason: provided further clarity
paulry is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 8:23 am
  #52  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
There's a web site called Uncle Tom. It's not free though but worth what they're charging if we consider it's a lot cheaper than a cinema ticket.

A pity, I haven't long ago unsubscribed from Fetch TV, but I'll have a look for it. Sometimes Storyville, etc gets rebranded to Four Corners by the ABC.
Yesterday, I watched a 5 minute video called "Uncle Tom - White Liberals (Deleted Scene)". I'm not sure why it was apparently a deleted scene because nothing offensive in it, but very valid points, and it provides a glimpse into what black Americans that don't buy in to the victim culture have to say about white "progressives".

....And when you tell them you're strangling me to death it's "oh but I love you..."

- Robert L. Woodson
paulry is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 3:20 pm
  #53  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,320
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
(Deleted Scene)". I'm not sure why it was apparently a deleted scene because nothing offensive in it, .
Most of what gets filmed is discarded ("deleted") from the overwhelming majority of filming projects. Most shots fall on the virtual floor, during editing. If there are any Media Studies students out there, they would have learned this during their studies.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 5:45 pm
  #54  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 13,016
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Most of what gets filmed is discarded ("deleted") from the overwhelming majority of filming projects. Most shots fall on the virtual floor, during editing. If there are any Media Studies students out there, they would have learned this during their studies.
It takes a 3 year course to learn how to discard most of what's filmed?
Red Eric is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 5:59 pm
  #55  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,320
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
It takes a 3 year course to learn how to discard most of what's filmed?
I think the full answer to that would be no, to do it well, takes the experience of a lifetime. Apologies to Whistler.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:14 pm
  #56  
So long...
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,970
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I think the full answer to that would be no, to do it well, takes the experience of a lifetime. Apologies to Whistler.
I don't know whether Whistler would take offence.....


DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2020, 9:01 pm
  #57  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,320
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

In Bolivia, meanwhile, Morales's MAS is back in business, reversing the right win trend.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2020, 11:34 pm
  #58  
So long...
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,970
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
In Bolivia, meanwhile, Morales's MAS is back in business, reversing the right win trend.
And did anyone notice NZ's Jacinda Arden comprehensively won re-election on many of Corbyn Labour's 2017 policies? Of course, her handling of NZ's Covid definitely didn't harm her chances though...
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2020, 11:38 pm
  #59  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 57,977
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The New Conservative Age - a good thing?

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
And did anyone notice NZ's Jacinda Arden comprehensively won re-election on many of Corbyn Labour's 2017 policies? Of course, her handling of NZ's Covid definitely didn't harm her chances though...
Well NZ is apparently a rational country, unlike anywhere that I have a nationality at the moment.
Lion in Winter is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.