Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Need to sort out my attitude...(Moved from MBTTUK forum)

Need to sort out my attitude...(Moved from MBTTUK forum)

Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need to sort out my attitude...

[.a nursey child was nearly kidnapped the other day from outside of school,a man was found dead in his car suspected drug related just 10 mins away,the gun crime is sky high, QUOTE]

Or the lady who left her 3 yr old daughter with the workman (who she had only met that day)to go shopping and came home to find him in the shower with her, or the ladys at the nursery who tied the toddlers feet together to stop them wandering around, or the guy who has be trying to take schoolgirls off the street in Edgewater and surrounding areas, shall I go on.

It happens the world over, Not just in the UK
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:54 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY View Post
You need help ! Lifes what you make it
If life's what you make it then why are you moving here, surely you can make a great life there, if indeed life is what you make it. You've chosen to make yours miserable by looking at all the ngative things about the UK. See the irony, no? If not, then you'll fit in lovely here

The point I was making, is that you seem rather disturbed that the police are armed in London, so to counter this, you're moving to a country where all police are armed everywhere and have been for all of my 18yrs here and who knows how long before that. More irony.

How d'ya like your Prozac in the morning?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:12 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FPM View Post
If life's what you make it then why are you moving here, surely you can make a great life there, if indeed life is what you make it. You've chosen to make yours miserable by looking at all the ngative things about the UK. See the irony, no? If not, then you'll fit in lovely here

The point I was making, is that you seem rather disturbed that the police are armed in London, so to counter this, you're moving to a country where all police are armed everywhere and have been for all of my 18yrs here and who knows how long before that. More irony.

How d'ya like your Prozac in the morning?
Theres no crime in OZ , the police only carry guns to protect themselves from the Dingos, wild Kangaroos and all the dangerous creatures we have over in OZ. and FPM before you accuse me of being on Prozac, no l have'nt taken any. only those strange cigarettes with the green tabacco someone gave me.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 17th 2007 at 9:16 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:19 pm
FPM
Banned

FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy View Post
Theres no crime in OZ , the police only carry guns to protect themselves from the Dingos, wild Kangaroos and all the dangerous creatures we have over in OZ. and FPM before you accuse me of being on Prozac, no l have'nt taken any. only those strange cigarettes with the green tabacco someone gave me.
But the other day you said the wildlife in the UK was more dealy than here, and the UK police aren't armed. So which is it? Oh hang on, I get it now, dingos and kangaroos are big and easily shot, perhaps the UK police just aren't quick enough to shoot those 'killer' wasps and bees that we have right?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:54 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY View Post
So what's your problem with Perth ?

Can't be any worse that England, where in the last week there have been 3 murders in South London and now armed police are on the streets and where the UK comes last in a UN list for virtually anything to do with kids !
Well since I've been back from Oz, I've noticed the streets are just lined with armed police, helicopters overhead, roller shutters and bars on every house. It's that bad here that people have to do all their shopping online cos they are so scared to venture out of the house

I do wish I'd stayed in Oz where there is no crime whatsoever The murders and shootings in the neighbouring suburbs to where I lived (very nice area) were, I'm convinced just imaginary

The trouble is with opinions such as yours is that you assume that murders and gun crime and gang warfare are unique to the UK - it isn't.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:21 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

But the other day you said the wildlife in the UK was more dealy than here, and the UK police aren't armed. So which is it? Oh hang on, I get it now, dingos and kangaroos are big and easily shot, perhaps the UK police just aren't quick enough to shoot those 'killer' wasps and bees that we have right?
OZ does have more dangerous creatures, but around the same number of people in The UK are killed by bees and wasps each year then are killed by snake and spider bites in OZ.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:33 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is with opinions such as yours is that you assume that murders and gun crime and gang warfare are unique to the UK - it isn't
But the UK does have a *much* higher homicide rate than in Australia though.

See for yourself

UK

Australia

More info here
http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/crime/
http://www.crimestatistics.org.uk/output/page108.asp
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Danny B;4416847]But the UK does have a *much* higher homicide rate than in Australia though.

See for yourself

Hope I'm not being thick, but isn't that because there's loads more people in the UK????? Bound to be more murders just because of statistics surely?

Jo
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:49 pm
FPM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post

See for yourself

UK

Australia

More info here
http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/crime/
http://www.crimestatistics.org.uk/output/page108.asp

The point you seem to be missing Danny is that we've actually lived here and still want to go back, in spite of all Britain's 'percieved' problems. I'm not saying they don't exist here or there, but when trying to debate the merits or otherwise of two places, it bolsters your case if you've actually lived in both. You, as yet have not. And I was in the UK for 3mths last year, so I do know what it's like 'nowadays'.

It's all down to personal preference. Do you know where my favourite place on Earth is? It's not the UK, it's Colombia. I lived there for a while teaching English to people who can't afford to go to English institutions there (I was not paid at all). Now 'on paper' Colombia has a murder and kidnap rate that makes the UK or Oz look like Camberwick Green in comparison. I came very very close to moving there permanently and had it not been for a casual cinema date I had with a girl back in Oz (who now is my wife) I'd be there now, maybe alive, maybe dead, maybe rich, maybe not (certainly happier than here).

My experience there was great, the reason is that I could see all the brilliant things that exist there along side some of the bad stuff, not instead of it. People live life there, really live it, it feels alive, because it's not always safe (but usually for different reasons than you read about). Everyone has a opinion on what Colombia is like. Very very few (less than 21,000 pa) actually visit it, let alone live there. The reality is very very different from the perception 1,000s of miles away, or at least MY reality was. As the say in the US car ads YMMV.

So it doesn't matter if the UK has a higer murder rate on paper, is over run by (insert race/religion here). It's still what we want. Colombia was what I wanted at the time, and no amount of rational explanation is ever going to change how you feel about what you want, at different times in our lives.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:50 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family View Post
See for yourself

Hope I'm not being thick, but isn't that because there's loads more people in the UK????? Bound to be more murders just because of statistics surely?

Jo

No you aren't being thick (that's my job) but UK crime is *one* of the reasons why people leave the UK heading for less populated countries.

Me personally, living in sleepy Surrey, I do not have a worry in the world about being shot or stabbed in my town.
I love living in this country, but I'm lucky to live where I live because if I was in Peckham right now I'd be crapping myself

I'm not UK bashing,
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again.

Could we please get away from the incessant "is crime worse in the UK or Oz?" debate!

Or TAKE IT OUTSIDE (pleeeeeeeze) - that's what it's for.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:52 pm
FPM
Banned

[QUOTE=clougherty family;4416856]
Originally Posted by Danny B View Post

See for yourself

Jo
I haven't looked at the links but if that's not adjusted per capita then Oz has a higher murder rate. Interesting how they peak and trough at nearly identical time points.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:56 pm
FPM
Banned

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
Here we go again.

Could we please get away from the incessant "is crime worse in the UK or Oz?" debate!

Or TAKE IT OUTSIDE (pleeeeeeeze) - that's what it's for.
If you don't like the thread, don't respond, but the reason this site gets them and us is that things like this are posted in the first place. Sitting back and not responding just leaves it open to the abuse from the Godzoners that the forum is suffering from. Think you'll be pushing it uphill a bit if you expect it to stop before the sub forum.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:57 pm
Tea Drinker

FPM,
I feel the same way about the Philippines as you do towards Columbia. I love the place, but unfortunately bringing up two children there isn't possible for us at the moment.
When I retire, Southern Philippines is where I'm headed
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like the thread, don't respond, but the reason this site gets them and us is that things like this are posted in the first place. Sitting back and not responding just leaves it open to the abuse from the Godzoners that the forum is suffering from. Think you'll be pushing it uphill a bit if you expect it to stop before the sub forum.
Why don't you just let the mods deal with the stupid Oz crap? The constant bickering about whether Oz or UK has the biggest balls or can pee the fiurthest is ruining this forum.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.