Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Meghan Markle's sin is being an American that stole Prince Harry?

Meghan Markle's sin is being an American that stole Prince Harry?

Old Jul 14th 2019, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meghan Markle's sin is being an American that stole Prince Harry?

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
It's really more like the way the media treated Sarah Ferguson, coincidentally the wife of the second son. Diana was only hounded once the marriage broke down and became "fair game" as she was never going to be queen.
But wasn't Sarah demonstrating extreme behavior in public like cheating on her husband and using her position as Duchess to set up secret deals that badly reflected on the Monarchy? She was bringing a lot of bad press on her self while Meghan hasn't done that. Her sin appear to be an American woman in love with a national icon from a different country and they feel he should have married a home grown girl. Kate is not receiving the same negative scrutiny. Can you imagine if Meghan had been in the vehicle that ran over that poor woman who was a pedestrian? They'd be calling her Meghan the pedestrian killer

These people that are against Meghan aren't exactly using honor and fairness when judging the Duchess.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Yep, as mentioned trash journalism attracts the gullible. It's not just print media, much of it's online now and I don't think the US is any better than the UK in this regard. The influence this has over the uncritical reader/viewer is undeniable, but you can't fix stupid.
"but you can't fix stupid"

Truer words have never been spoken.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 7:11 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
I highly doubt they would want to raise innocent children in a country that don't have the appropriate laws in place to keep the vampires at bay. I would suggest them moving to America. Here a celebrity couple even with their star power could simply blend in. So many national icons from other countries have publicly said America is a place they could go and not be noticed.
Okays. So I'm a bit tired after a very long day, but are you pulling our legs here. Safe? America? UK royal prince? Un-noticed?

Do not fret. Meghan Markle will be just fine . She bought into a job and The Firm will ensure she and her husband are well looked after . Maybe The Firm hands out a ToughSkin overalls & a hat when accepting someone into the fold.

It is todays interest perhaps. It will pass.

FWIW Chelsea Davy, the long time girlfriend of Prince Harry was in the frame for many years. To me , they suited and complimented each other well. There again I don't know them and have never met either of them nor Meghan Markle. Chelsea Davy is South African and not UK 'home grown'. It seems she decided that a lifetime of public glare was not for her .

Kate Middleton has earned the respect down through the years. One hopes that Prince Harry's choice of wife will show the same fortitude, grace and dignity.

As for Meghan Markle's nationality or her past life. Who cares. She is or was a TV personality it seems, who has chosen to live in the royal goldfish bowl. Frankly if she is struggling then she needs to seek advice from those around her and toughen up. Judgement happens to everyone , everywhere in all walks of life all the time. If needs be I am sure a suitable action will be taken . It is not unknown in these times for there to be an injunction.

David and Victoria Beckham seem to manage well enough . I am sure this couple will also.

Meanwhile . Mountains and molehills. Best ignored.

Old Jul 14th 2019, 7:50 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

But wasn't Sarah demonstrating extreme behavior in public like cheating on her husband and using her position as Duchess to set up secret deals that badly reflected on the Monarchy? She was bringing a lot of bad press on her self while Meghan hasn't done that. Her sin appear to be an American woman in love with a national icon from a different country and they feel he should have married a home grown girl. Kate is not receiving the same negative scrutiny. Can you imagine if Meghan had been in the vehicle that ran over that poor woman who was a pedestrian? They'd be calling her Meghan the pedestrian killer

These people that are against Meghan aren't exactly using honor and fairness when judging the Duchess.
Sarah Ferguson was not demonstrating extreme behaviour when she was dubbed "Duchess of Pork". What she was was post partum and alone while her husband was away learning to fly. Sge was slammed for leaving her baby for a few days to visit her husband. She was slammed for not being thin enough or royal enough, for being too loud, for being fun. Absolutely nothing she did was going to be good enough. She wasn't Diana, so she was vilified. Same thing that is happening with Meghan. She's not Kate, so she's being vilified.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Okays. So I'm a bit tired after a very long day, but are you pulling our legs here. Safe? America? UK royal prince? Un-noticed?

Do not fret. Meghan Markle will be just fine . She bought into a job and The Firm will ensure she and her husband are well looked after . Maybe The Firm hands out a ToughSkin overalls & a hat when accepting someone into the fold.

It is todays interest perhaps. It will pass.

FWIW Chelsea Davy, the long time girlfriend of Prince Harry was in the frame for many years. To me , they suited and complimented each other well. There again I don't know them and have never met either of them nor Meghan Markle. Chelsea Davy is South African and not UK 'home grown'. It seems she decided that a lifetime of public glare was not for her .

Kate Middleton has earned the respect down through the years. One hopes that Prince Harry's choice of wife will show the same fortitude, grace and dignity.

As for Meghan Markle's nationality or her past life. Who cares. She is or was a TV personality it seems, who has chosen to live in the royal goldfish bowl. Frankly if she is struggling then she needs to seek advice from those around her and toughen up. Judgement happens to everyone , everywhere in all walks of life all the time. If needs be I am sure a suitable action will be taken . It is not unknown in these times for there to be an injunction.

David and Victoria Beckham seem to manage well enough . I am sure this couple will also.

Meanwhile . Mountains and molehills. Best ignored.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Rsvb-TiUR3hink

You made some interesting points. You mentioned who cares about Meghan's nationality? There is a laundry list of people in the UK who is making her nationality and her ethnicity a very big deal In fact they seem to point out often that she(Meghan) is not one of ours. Is xenophobia bias unheard of? of course not but in 2019, I want to never normalize that kind of behavior just because it happens in the world. And yes it does occur but it shouldn't and as a person that is married to a British partner the last thing I would ever accept is someone making my wife feel like a foreign born person. My wife has every right that every other American deserves and some ways she is even more American because she could have lived in another country but picked the States to call home. That decision deserves respect and I respect Meghan for following her heart and taking a chance.There are too many examples to post and it's late in the evening here. But the link above is just one sample that says it all how even Buckingham Palace was caught off guard by the number of cases of extreme reactions to a young man falling in love with a woman who just happens to be from another country, and is also a beautiful woman of color. And the reaction to her ethnicity in the UK was so extreme the palace felt it necessary to request the press to "desist in it's treatment of Harry's then girlfriend". And as I said in my previous post, Harry & Meghan will work this out over time, but it's important to understand the root cause of the problems in order to get to a solution.

And the last thing I want to be a party to is helping to normalize a dysfunctional response to a changing society. Change happens whether we're ready for it or not so either we adjust or the changing times will move on without us. I personally enjoy watching evolution in society and for me it's a positive ocurance. But in the UK seeing the Royal family dynamic change, might be jolting for some. The Royal family especially William and Harry are thought of very fondly by the British public and many Brits say they don't pay much attention to those bunch of do nothings. But at the same time many people in the UK view their British identity as being a part of British history and culture which in essence has a great deal of connection to the Monarchy. That along makes Meghan's entry into that family a hot topic of debate but it shouldn't be as nasty as we're watching it become.

Obviously every country has a period of time when they experience a new normal and that society have to learn how to accept that difference. But there are a lot of people that can't help but notice how the rules are shifted depending on the participants, and Meghan is going through that. And UK society is being tested to see just how inclusive it really is compared to how far along people think it is. And other countries are watching!

Thank goodness Harry and Meghan have awesome friends and family around them working as buffers to deal with much of the anti-social behavior.

Btw, yes it is far easier for a famous power couple to fade into the woodwork here in the states because we have huge cities all over the place and most of the public are use to seeing a Lewis Hamilton out and about and will for the most part leave them alone. I remember years ago Yannick Noah after winning the French open couldn't go anywhere in France without attracting a crowd. The man later decided to move to NYC and people didn't bother his privacy one bit. Dame Judi Dench loves being in NYC for the same reason. She commented that she can walk down the street and nobody know who she is and on those off chances someone does spot her they simply gives her a high five and that is the extent of it. I personally was in a convenience store in Florida and there was Mick Jagger making his purchase and no one in the store except me even noticed. And I didn't say a word. You see celebrities all the time here. Meghan and Harry would not be in a fishbowl in the States because we have much bigger celebrities.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jul 14th 2019 at 10:56 am.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...63093182383126

Perfect example of the rarified brand of extreme behavior directed toward Meghan.

Old Jul 14th 2019, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Sarah Ferguson was not demonstrating extreme behaviour when she was dubbed "Duchess of Pork". What she was was post partum and alone while her husband was away learning to fly. Sge was slammed for leaving her baby for a few days to visit her husband. She was slammed for not being thin enough or royal enough, for being too loud, for being fun. Absolutely nothing she did was going to be good enough. She wasn't Diana, so she was vilified. Same thing that is happening with Meghan. She's not Kate, so she's being vilified.
I agree with you that Sarah didn't deserve a lot of the harsh treatment received especially being body shamed after having her children. Some of those examples are similar to what Meghan is going through like picking on her for holding her child in a overly protective manner. Body shaming a new mother is a cruel act to use against anyone and considering she was a new mother that just gave birth usually mean in that situation you already feel vulnerable enough worrying about your kid's survivability and safety, but to be picked apart for petty reasons is simply stupid. She made her share of huge mistakes and sadly many took place in public but most people in America liked her because she was more real than the stuff shirts in the Royal family. That is probably why she came to America often because here she was well received and she could make money to help support herself and kids.

There is a saying in America about being the first to do something very high profile. Being the first to be a Jewish American person to become President, or a Asian or African American to become President will sadly mean you are going to experience a higher level of hate and scrutiny that will feel over whelming at times and every other society in the world that rule more than likely apply as well. That is what Meghan is experiencing and as a middle aged progressive I support her courage to go through all that in order to follow her heart.

I think Sarah went through a lot of this but just imagine how much worse it would have been if she had been a foreign born person of a different ethnicity while making so many poor decisions in public. Meghan has a good head on her shoulders and ultimately will rise above the carnage but in the meantime she will be tested for reasons that are not honorable or just.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 10:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect example of the rarified brand of extreme behavior directed toward Meghan.

For God's sake. Online keyboard warriors on Twitter. The Sun. Hello Magazine. If we wanted to start threads every time people showed their ugly sides in response to a Twitter post or a click bait article, we'd all be on here 24/7. Do what most sensible people do, don't buy into it.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:16 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
The Markle woman didn't "steal" Harry at all, he just made a catastrophic mistake.
In what way exactly?
In the absence of any other answer we'll have to assume that the 'mistake' was to marry a woman of colour.​​​​​​
Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
For God's sake. Online keyboard warriors on Twitter. The Sun. Hello Magazine. If we wanted to start threads every time people showed their ugly sides in response to a Twitter post or a click bait article, we'd all be on here 24/7. Do what most sensible people do, don't buy into it.
You don't sleep in on Sunday morning? Early riser for sure.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
In the absence of any other answer we'll have to assume that the 'mistake' was to marry a woman of colour.​​​​​​
Absolutely not! You're assuming I'm a racist (which I'm not). Please don't make such grandiose assumptions about me in future.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Absolutely not! You're assuming I'm a racist (which I'm not). Please don't make such grandiose assumptions about me in future.
Do you think Meghan is a good person who loves her husband? Do you wish their union all the best luck in the world?
Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think Meghan is a good person who loves her husband? Do you wish their union all the best luck in the world?
I've no idea about her being a good person (she's an actress) or indeed if she loves Harry (he's rich and world famous). As to their marriage I don't care what happens to them but will feel sorry for their children if /when it doesn't work out.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

In what way exactly?
By marrying her
Old Jul 14th 2019, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've no idea about her being a good person (she's an actress) or indeed if she loves Harry (he's rich and world famous). As to their marriage I don't care what happens to them but will feel sorry for their children if /when it doesn't work out.
I didn't ask if you knew them because the answer to that question is obvious you don't. I only asked if you "think" she is a good person who loves her husband. Not a difficult question what so ever. Btw, she is wealthy and don't need his money. What you demonstrated is what bias for a complete stranger looks like. Every young and older couple deserve well wishes even from a stranger because that is the decent way to feel for your fellow man and woman. And it doesn't cost you anything to behave with generosity of spirit and to conduct ourselves in any other way usually say more about our own cynical thinking than the people we're against. I wish everyone happiness because when happy we tend to be more kinder to other people. Oh btw, actors are just people who need love also. And they tend to be very insecure in nature.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jul 14th 2019 at 12:32 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.