Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

medically assisted death case from Canada

medically assisted death case from Canada

Old Oct 7th 2020, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default medically assisted death case from Canada

This was a case that started this summer in Nova Scotia, Canada.

A man 83 and dying from Stage III COPD wanted a medically assisted death and had been approved for it in the summer.

His wife 82, did not want him to have a medically assisted death (MAID) as she has a moral opposition to MAID. She say's his suffering was mental from anxiety and delusions and not physical.

His MAID was delayed a few months as he fought his decision in court, the courts ultimately sided with her husband, who was able to have his medically assisted death on October 3rd.

The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition has been funding her legal costs.

They were married 48 years, and had known each other 60 years, but had been separated and not speaking since mid August, presumably because she was fighting his decision in court.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ourt-1.5751454

He was an atheist, and she a practicing Christian. Seems in the end, her religious beliefs may have been more important to her than her husbands well being.

MAID can be a heated topic at times in Canada, mostly due to religion, many religious are against it, and some hospitals are still Catholic held over from the past, and such hospitals tend to now allow patients to have a MAID in their facilities and more recently in BC the government cut funding to a private non-profit hospice as they were not allowing patients to have a MAID.

Old Oct 7th 2020, 7:29 pm
Lt (R)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medically assisted death case from Canada

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
.... They were married 48 years, and had known each other 60 years, but had been separated and not speaking since mid August, presumably because she was fighting his decision in court. .....
What a tragically sad end to a very long relationship.

There are very strong, heartfelt opinons on both sides of the argument.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How very sad.

I have made my wishes known that medical assisted death is what I choose, rather than be in a vegetated state or in a nursing home. If my wishes are ignored I will come back and haunt those responsible.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

For myself if i were in this position i would like to be given something to help me pass when needed.It has been difficult enough making the decisions with animals let alone a human ,since reading this thread i have told my wife i would not like to be kept alive but would like when told by the experts to help me on my way.Adios amigo
Old Oct 8th 2020, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
For myself if i were in this position i would like to be given something to help me pass when needed.It has been difficult enough making the decisions with animals let alone a human ,since reading this thread i have told my wife i would not like to be kept alive but would like when told by the experts to help me on my way.Adios amigo
I have always told children I wanted a ticket to 'Dignitas'---if I was in such a 'bad way'., (UK doesn't yet allow).
However as you say many of us have experience with pet animals and I remember being almost deranged with guilt the night after our elderly labrador dog was euthanased --(and it should have been done earlier!) I wouldn't wish that on the children, so it is an impossible decision!
Old Oct 8th 2020, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

my only regret for my father's last days is that i didn't have the courage to get on the plane and inject him with the morphine i knew was sitting in the kitchen. He was unconscious for 5 days at home and probably died of dehydration. I should have put a stop to it sooner
Old Oct 8th 2020, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: medically assisted death case from Canada

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I have always told children I wanted a ticket to 'Dignitas'---if I was in such a 'bad way'., (UK doesn't yet allow).
However as you say many of us have experience with pet animals and I remember being almost deranged with guilt the night after our elderly labrador dog was euthanased --(and it should have been done earlier!) I wouldn't wish that on the children, so it is an impossible decision!
Hi bipat that is exactly why i told my wife because our old lady cat tee,tee's we left it to long .and should of made the discussion weeks earlier which keeps you awake at night for a while ( I still have scars on my right hand wrist from that feisty old girl a memory indeed she is in the garden with a nice shrub) I think we should tell our children and wife/husband of our wishes and to carry them out with love and sorrow but to do as asked. to keep the very good memories we all have.tuff love i think bipat .
Old Oct 8th 2020, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: medically assisted death case from Canada

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
my only regret for my father's last days is that i didn't have the courage to get on the plane and inject him with the morphine i knew was sitting in the kitchen. He was unconscious for 5 days at home and probably died of dehydration. I should have put a stop to it sooner
Zoe bell.life is a bitch, if you had know maybe you could of helped the old man out, but that is how it goes shit i know.Just remember your father with the good memories you have, we have all been there we are all the same.Good memories to you
Old Oct 10th 2020, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
How very sad.

I have made my wishes known that medical assisted death is what I choose, rather than be in a vegetated state or in a nursing home. If my wishes are ignored I will come back and haunt those responsible.
If you want to top yourself then go ahead. Why put the responsibility on someone else? Yes I know the argument about not being able to make the decision but if you are that worried do it it now!!
Old Oct 10th 2020, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
If you want to top yourself then go ahead. Why put the responsibility on someone else? Yes I know the argument about not being able to make the decision but if you are that worried do it it now!!

The responsibility cannot be put on anyone else under the law in Canada, and nobody except the patient can consent to MAID.

The patient has to give consent 2 times, at the time of their request and immediately before MAID is provided, so a patient in a vegetative state cannot give consent immediately before and thus not eligible. The patient can revoke consent at anytime.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-dying.html#a2

Generally non-residents of Canada are also not eligible, to prevent people from travelling to Canada to access it.