Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher has died.

Margaret Thatcher has died.

Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:11 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher has died.

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob View Post
"Few of us left Britian because ....."

Thats a obvious claim to knowing the reason why all "us" expats left Britian. There should be no confusion.
Stop digging.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Stop digging.
Sorry but i was just clarifying. Why are you so bothered?
You should change your avatar from censored to sensitive
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The 'us' were the people directly discussing with MC about the right to hold an opinion on the UK while not living there. There were about 4 or 5 of us, all of whom I've known on here for years so yes, in this case I can claim to know those reasons.

Jesus wept.
Nobody cares about the reasons ultimately, but I do contend that merely the act of being an expat makes one less British. The clue is in the title - expat. There will be divided loyalties between the former and current home countries.

However, the most salient point I made is that most if not all of you have been absent from the UK for several years. So anything any of you have to say about the current state of the country, or indeed it's recent past history, is now being said as outsiders and is therefore less relevant than than the viewpoints held by UK residents. And no, I don't accept Jerseygirl's point that experiences in another country help to put the UK in a different perspective.

No one is stopping you from feeling as "British" as you want as that is a question of nationality. I've not called that into question.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:44 pm
Gamers Rise Up

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
Nobody cares about the reasons ultimately, but I do contend that merely the act of being an expat makes one less British. The clue is in the title - expat. There will be divided loyalties between the former and current home countries.

However, the most salient point I made is that most if not all of you have been absent from the UK for several years. So anything any of you have to say about the current state of the country, or indeed it's recent past history, is now being said as outsiders and is therefore less relevant than than the viewpoints held by UK residents. And no, I don't accept Jerseygirl's point that experiences in another country help to put the UK in a different perspective.

No one is stopping you from feeling as "British" as you want as that is a question of nationality. I've not called that into question.
That's quite categorically incorrect and rather patronising. A well informed opinion is a valid one irrespective of one's place of residence.

Nationality is an absolute. The idea that one's Britishness is diluted simply by the act of emigration is frankly laughable. For all our disagreement, I really would have expected better out of you.

Living in another country can give you a fresh perspective on the UK. It certainly helped bolster my appreciation for the time I had there.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

"Few of us left Britian because ....."

Thats a obvious claim to knowing the reason why all "us" expats left Britian. There should be no confusion.

Exactly. SOS posted "FEW of us left Britain because of Britain itself". You twisted it and replied...."I don't understand how anyone can claim to know exactly the reasons why EVERY expat left Britain.'

Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to accept my point...as we do not have to accept your remarkably silly view that expats are less British.

I don't know how old you are...but my husband and myself have probably lived in England longer than you and have paid more taxes to HMRC than you probably ever will.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 10th 2013 at 6:17 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I think Glenda Jasckon sums it up fairly well for me:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtClJYJBj8
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Exactly. SOS posted "FEW of us left Britain because of Britain itself". You twisted it and replied...."I don't understand how anyone can claim to know exactly the reasons why EVERY expat left Britain.'

I was not twisting words at all. In order to claim why FEW immigrants leave you must first have to know the reason why MOST or EVERY immigrant left.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:16 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I was not twisting words at all. In order to claim why FEW immigrants leave you must first have to know the reason why MOST or EVERY immigrant left.
I think you will find that it is based on the information gleaned from the many uses of this site, it is all here documented. The 'us' are the users of this site. I am not speaking for SoS, but how I read it, and in context, I fail to see how it can be read otherwise.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking of the Prime Ministers I remeber:

Wilson
Heath
Callaghan
Thatcher
Major
Blair
Brown
Cameron

Much easier to put them in worst order.

Blair I think heads that one by a mile. Or km, he did like Euro crap.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:56 am
Gamers Rise Up

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I think you will find that it is based on the information gleaned from the many uses of this site, it is all here documented. The 'us' are the users of this site. I am not speaking for SoS, but how I read it, and in context, I fail to see how it can be read otherwise.
One of you got it correct. Care to guess which one?

Uncle Bob, you weren't twisting my words, just misunderstanding them. Perhaps if you had asked me what I meant, instead of getting all sanctimonious on me, we could have saved a page ...
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That's quite categorically incorrect and rather patronising. A well informed opinion is a valid one irrespective of one's place of residence.

Nationality is an absolute. The idea that one's Britishness is diluted simply by the act of emigration is frankly laughable. For all our disagreement, I really would have expected better out of you.

Living in another country can give you a fresh perspective on the UK. It certainly helped bolster my appreciation for the time I had there.
Exactly!!

It's like saying your opinion on the Countries leadership is less valid, just because you didn't vote them in
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
Exactly!!

It's like saying your opinion on the Countries leadership is less valid, just because you didn't vote them in
Not exactly. Close but no cigar.

I am saying your opinion on the countries leadership is less valid if you never had a vote at all (for example, by virtue of being an expat).
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:54 pm
Gamers Rise Up

Oh for f**k's sake
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly. Close but no cigar.

I am saying your opinion on the countries leadership is less valid if you never had a vote at all (for example, by virtue of being an expat).
And I am saying that your opinion won't stop me from giving mine or believing it's less valid than yours!

British born, British bred and when I die, I'll be British dead!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.