Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher has died.

Margaret Thatcher has died.

Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher has died.

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
Of course, when the poll tax came in my rent didn't go down to cover the fact that the landlord was no longer paying rates. Nice little earner for him and I guess most other landlords around the country.
There were those who did very well from the Poll Tax. Probably the very same people who voted for her in the first place.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964 View Post
There were those who did very well from the Poll Tax. Probably the very same people who voted for her in the first place.
My cousin was a miner...he did very well out the redundancies. He always voted Labour.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US View Post
She stole my milk.
Margaret Thatcher, milk snatcher.

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
No excuse for that if that is what happened, that is goading.
They did more than goad. Fabricating evidence, for example:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/no...attle-orgreave
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I finally found the one thing Thatcher did right:

"Lady Thatcher will not be seeing Sarah Palin. That would be belittling for Margaret. Sarah Palin is nuts."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...-palin-meeting
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kilty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
Breaking on BBC. Died following a stroke.
It was her leaving office in 1990 that made me decide to become an expat. She was the last, best hope for Britain. And look what has become of the old place since she left.

Then, in the mid -90s I met her at a book signing in L.A. I thanked her for trying to turn things around for the country, and said I wished she was still Prime Minister. I still feel the same way today.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kilty View Post
It was her leaving office in 1990 that made me decide to become an expat. She was the last, best hope for Britain. And look what has become of the old place since she left.

Then, in the mid -90s I met her at a book signing in L.A. I thanked her for trying to turn things around for the country, and said I wished she was still Prime Minister. I still feel the same way today.
It's funny how expats always have a different outlook to those of us who still live in Britain. I'm actually quite glad that things have improved (some would say recovered is a better description) since her time in office. The modern Britain is a far better and much more progressive place - thanks mainly to 13 years of Labour government and nothing to do with Thatcher. Somehow I doubt you'll find the Britain of old that you yearn for any longer - no matter where you decide to become an expat.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 11:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
It's funny how expats always have a different outlook to those of us who still live in Britain. I'm actually quite glad that things have improved (some would say recovered is a better description) since her time in office. The modern Britain is a far better and much more progressive place - thanks mainly to 13 years of Labour government and nothing to do with Thatcher. Somehow I doubt you'll find the Britain of old that you yearn for any longer - no matter where you decide to become an expat.

'The modern Britain is a far better and much more progressive place - thanks mainly to 13 years of Labour government'...oh that is funny....very, very funny.

Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
'The modern Britain is a far better and much more progressive place - thanks mainly to 13 years of Labour government'...oh that is funny....very, very funny.

One example of what I'm talking about - the national minimum wage.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Apr 9th 2013 at 12:51 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

One example of what I'm talking about - the national minimum wage.
Why is this quote NOT the one I wanted to respond too?

Wanted to ask materielcontroller why he is on this forum if he doesn't think we (expats) are allowed an opinion of 'our' Britain or it's politics?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:02 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Well if materialcontroller doesn't think expats are allowed an opinion, he sure as hell doesn't think foreigners like me are allowed one. I'm going to cravenly hide behind my husband on the issue and let him tell me what to think.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
Why is this quote NOT the one I wanted to respond too?

Wanted to ask materielcontroller why he is on this forum if he doesn't think we (expats) are allowed an opinion of 'our' Britain or it's politics?
If you thought so much of "your" Britain, you'd never have left.

But you did.

Therefore, while you're entitled to opinions regarding Britain, they're not as valid as those of the people who actually live here.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:18 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

If you thought so much of "your" Britain, you'd never have left.

But you did.

Therefore, while you're entitled to opinions regarding Britain, they're not as valid as those of the people who actually live here.
Righto. So I suggest you STFU about America then. TIA.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
My cousin was a miner...he did very well out the redundancies. He always voted Labour.
Those who worked a long time for British Steel or the NCB did quite well with a lump sum redundancy. Sadly, the smaller private steel mills and other related industries paid out next to nothing. My Dad received literally a pittance after 25 years. I really have bitter feelings on this after all these years.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Righto. So I suggest you STFU about America then. TIA.
I've never told anybody to "STFU". That's just an idiotic and needlessly inflammatory response.

I very rarely comment on American issues, but when I do, I wouldn't expect my views to be taken as seriously as those of the people who actually live there, or who are citizens. And I think the people on this forum are generally quick to point those sorts of things out.

Most of my posts are concerned with helping people with immigration problems. But you knew that anyway.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

That'd be the progressive Britain that gives criminal failures a benefits package generous enough to afford broadband to post pompous drivel during the day - mainly thanks to 13 years of Labour rule?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.