Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher has died.

Margaret Thatcher has died.

Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher has died.

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Yep, They were not desperate striking miners. The Nottinghamshire miners wanted to work and the thugs from Yorkshire came down to stop them by any means they wanted.

The Yorkshire miners had no thought at all for people who wanted to work. They just wanted to impose their will on others by the fist and any other violent means possible. Unfortuantely for them they were confronted by a Prime Minister who wasn't going to give in to the bully boy tactics that her predecessors had. The Yorkshire miners didn't need goading into violence they came south looking for it. They were scum who tried to impose their will on other working men by mob rule, and on the country by intimidation.

Those £20 notes we waved about were often spent buying food and clothing for miners families where the men were to scared to work, or had been beat into hospital for trying to do so.
Notts police? I used to enjoy playing rugby against them as a student.

As a student worker in Cowley, I had to cross the picket line and report for work. As a student, I was not a union worker. I had to go in the back way and the guys on the line were fine with it.
Out front is where it got hairy when the news cameras got turned on Red Robbo and his people.
It is a shame that the British auto industry was so ravaged by Unions, government and a largely incompetent management in those days. (of course, maybe they could have made a better product too.)
That strike was essentially manufactured by the management. It was stop fortnight. Too many cars were stockpiled for the start of the new license plate letter in August. Management told unions they wanted to bring in outside contractors in the vacation weeks. Union said we're on strike if you do....and so it began. It suited the management, they saved a bundle of money in power and labor costs by shutting down for a few more weeks.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
However, she deliberately called an early election to cash in on that popularity as she could then guarantee 5 years in government.
And name me one politician who wouldn't take advantage to secure another term? And it's a good job she did - personally think she should have stuck to her guns with the poll tax.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:07 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Those £20 notes we waved
No excuse for that if that is what happened, that is goading.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm View Post
And name me one politician who wouldn't take advantage to secure another term? And it's a good job she did - personally think she should have stuck to her guns with the poll tax.
I'd like to think Michael Foot or Tony Benn would have avoided that course of action.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post

However, she deliberately called an early election to cash in on that popularity as she could then guarantee 5 years in government. Had she left it until 1984 she knew the Falklands effect would have worn off. It's not like she was spontaneously ushered back into Downing street on the back of a donkey with people throwing palm leaves in her path.
Actually, the post Falklands General Election in the UK was not particularly early in the usual timings of such elections - it was only recently that Parliaments here have run their whole five year course in accordance with current Parliamentary regulations. Most Parliaments ran for about four years at most, a year before they needed to. General Election May 1979....the Falklands war Spring 1982....Gen Elect June 1983....Miners Strike 1984/1985 with gen Election following in June 1987 - about the average one year before the term of office officially ended by Parliamentary law.

So it does not seem that Margaret Thatcher actually took real advantage of her steep rise in her popularity post Falklands/post Miners' strike by cutting and running to the polling booths of this country a lot earlier than she need to....as did the cunning and wily Harold Wilson and his Labour party cronies.

The rules have now changed and we all now know that the next General Election in the UK will definitely take place in May 2015.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

- personally think she should have stuck to her guns with the poll tax.
Had not Majors taken over I'm sure she would have. Wasn't it he who abandoned the poll tax not her?
I was traveling abroad a lot in 1990 and was somewhat disconnected from it all. Didn't poll tax essentially mean that a millionaire living alone in some landed mansion could be paying less tax than a poor family of four say? Seems like one of the least fair taxes since medieval times I would think.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I'd like to think Michael Foot or Tony Benn would have avoided that course of action.
LOL: as communists they'd have had us all in cloth caps and living in 2-up, 2-downs. I have always admired Benn - he is a brilliant orator and intelligent man but his politics leave me cold. Foot, on the other hand, was a weak little man who would have destroyed the UK much like Wilson almost did a few years before. Labour has a great history of promising much and delivering nothing but debt and bloated government (though, to be fair, Cameron isn't much better).
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshgator View Post
Had not Majors taken over I'm sure she would have. Wasn't it he who abandoned the poll tax not her?
I was traveling abroad a lot in 1990 and was somewhat disconnected from it all. Didn't poll tax essentially mean that a millionaire living alone in some landed mansion could be paying less tax than a poor family of four say? Seems like one of the least fair taxes since medieval times I would think.
Major - you're thinking of the Six Million Dollar Man
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:19 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was saying goodbye to any sense of progressive taxation for local government.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL: as communists they'd have had us all in cloth caps and living in 2-up, 2-downs. I have always admired Benn - he is a brilliant orator and intelligent man but his politics leave me cold. Foot, on the other hand, was a weak little man who would have destroyed the UK much like Wilson almost did a few years before. Labour has a great history of promising much and delivering nothing but debt and bloated government (though, to be fair, Cameron isn't much better).
Err...right.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Major - you're thinking of the Six Million Dollar Man
, preferred the bionic woman when I was a teenager. Anyway, major was on Fawlty Towers too.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't poll tax essentially mean that a millionaire living alone in some landed mansion could be paying less tax than a poor family of four say? Seems like one of the least fair taxes since medieval times I would think.
That's exactly what it was. Maggie often referred to the "little old lady living in a big house by herself" She saw it as unfair she had to pay higher rates than a family of 4 living in a 3 bedroom semi. The 4 in the semi should have to all pay. It was a cash cow for the local councils however they had to foot the bill for setting it all up, a fact many councils didn't like.

Aside the fact Maggie conveniently forgot to mention the little old lady's house was worth 1m+ (and no doubt the old lady had a pretty good retirement/alimony/inheritance package) vs the 3 bedroom semi's 180k, the Poll Tax aka "Community Charge" took no account of ability to pay. If you were 18 or older with very few exceptions, you pay it.

I remember it being 420 in the first year and 450 in the second. It only ran in England & Wales for 2yrs before John Major ditched it. At the time I lived in Elmbridge Borough County which at that time turned out to be one of the highest spending councils in the country. Was it Labour controlled? Nope, a true Blue Tory stronghold for decades! Can you say own goal Maggie?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brit3964 View Post
That's exactly what it was. Maggie often referred to the "little old lady living in a big house by herself" She saw it as unfair she had to pay higher rates than a family of 4 living in a 3 bedroom semi. The 4 in the semi should have to all pay. It was a cash cow for the local councils however they had to foot the bill for setting it all up, a fact many councils didn't like.

Aside the fact Maggie conveniently forgot to mention the little old lady's house was worth 1m+ (and no doubt the old lady had a pretty good retirement/alimony/inheritance package) vs the 3 bedroom semi's 180k, the Poll Tax aka "Community Charge" took no account of ability to pay. If you were 18 or older with very few exceptions, you pay it.

I remember it being 420 in the first year and 450 in the second. It only ran in England & Wales for 2yrs before John Major ditched it. At the time I lived in Elmbridge Borough County which at that time turned out to be one of the highest spending councils in the country. Was it Labour controlled? Nope, a true Blue Tory stronghold for decades! Can you say own goal Maggie?
her current Belgravia house was valued recently around £6.5M
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964 View Post
If you were 18 or older with very few exceptions, you pay it.
I seem to remember as a student that I got a discount. However, my mum in one of the very few times she has ever been political, strongly objected to me having to pay it and actually sent me a cheque every month to cover it (I used to get a full grant, so it's not like my parents could afford to pay). Think it was only something like 9 quid a month, but it was the principle for her. And then when I graduated and left, Nottingham City Council decided I was in arrears by 32p and tracked me down via the Uni and my parents with threatening letters and court dates.

Of course, when the poll tax came in my rent didn't go down to cover the fact that the landlord was no longer paying rates. Nice little earner for him and I guess most other landlords around the country.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
But don't worry about peddling your self-justification to me. I was old enough to be at some of the pickets with my dad (on the sidelines) and I saw plenty of what happened first hand.

End justifies the means is a typical coppers attitude though innit? Reminds why I became a criminal.
Not self justification, because I am in no way concerned that what we did was in any way wrong or needed justification. Personally I was and still am proud of the job we did.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.