Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Make up a week's meals with a food parcel

Make up a week's meals with a food parcel

Old Nov 10th 2020, 12:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Make up a week's meals with a food parcel

Anyone fancy doing this? This is the food package from a food bank for a single person for one week.

I thought it might be 'fun' or informative, whatever, to try it. I'm putting it in TIO to allow for any disagreements.

A carton of milk, two tins of meat meals (such as a tin of chilli or corned beef), two tins of soup, two tins of baked beans, one tin of fish, one jar of pasta sauce and 500g of pasta, a jar of peanut butter, a box of cereal, a pack of dried noodles, two sachets of instant soup, one bag of sugar, 20 teabags, two chocolate bars, a loaf of bread and some butter, two baking potatoes, four eggs, two carrots, three bananas, and a packet of biscuits.

Unfortunately sizes are not given for everything.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 3:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Make up a week's meals with a food parcel

With some ground beef and onions I generally turn a jar of pasta sauce and a pack of pasta into dinner for 4 and there's leftovers for maybe 3 lunches. So the pasta and sauce will do 7 meals but there's little 'extra' there.

So I reckon half a tin of chilli with most of the pasta sauce and 5/7ths of pasta does 5 pasta meals.
Much depends on what the tin of fish is but with the remaining two portions of pasta that's 7 pasta meals. Might use a little of the sauce for the fish.

I'm really not sure what I'd do with the carrots. Usually it would be part of "meat and two veg" classic but there is no meat. Or potato and carrot mash but what with? So they'd either be something to snack on or to add to the instant soup to bulk it up. But then the noodles would do that.

One baked potato and the other half a tin of chilli.
The other spud and half a tin of beans.
Egg, toast, corned beef, beans
Corned beef sandwich and soup two days
Egg and beans on toast
Just beans on toast.

So that's 7 pasta meals, 7 others. With 2 eggs left, that's egg and toast for breakfast on 2 days, cereal the other 5.

Snacking - the bananas, carrots and whatever bread is left. I'm not using the peanut butter. Biscuits. Tea.

Doable but very dull.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 10th 2020 at 3:56 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I have used food banks in Canada before, but never got that level of variety.

But then they were smaller towns and cities with small fairly limited food banks, single folks without kids got the scraps so to speak.

Most of my food bank food was day old baked goods, mostly from Starbucks and Safeway and usually some random cans, often things I would not eat and just donate back to the food bank, like sour kraut, it's not good, but what do I use it for?

Often the food banks goal is to provide 1 adult with 2 or 3 days of food, at least the ones I have experience with in Canada, they are designed to be supplemental but these days more and more rely almost entirely on food banks at the lower income end, so much so some food banks cannot meet demand.

It's really a reflection on society when increasing numbers of people, more and more employed, but housing costs so much, food can come in a distant 2nd or 3rd place, as I have been told more than one by social workers, do everything to stay housed, skip everything to pay rent.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 10th 2020 at 4:11 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 4:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I have used food banks in Canada before, but never got that level of variety.
Thinking in Canadian prices I think I'd rather have the cost of those items and make better use of it.

Just on that list unless you get the chilli, pasta sauce and corned beef on special, they're going to cost $10 easily. I could get ground beef, tinned tomatoes and an onion for that and do a lot more.