Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Is Lockdown Working For You

Is Lockdown Working For You

Old Mar 29th 2020, 10:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If people only bought enough for the next 3-4 days, there'd be enough to last everyone for that period, and shops could be restocked ready for the next round.
That just means you have to go more often.
If you buy two weeks worth instead of one that halves the frequency with which you need to go and it takes only a small amount of extra time.

With every passing day, the numbers go up. They've tripled in our province in six days. I'm quite glad I don't have to go shopping at the moment.

This is distinct from hoarding of course and we're also geared up to making stuff go a long way. There's been baking and the leftover chicken from today's 'roast' will be the base of at least another three meals for four plus a big pot of soup.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 10:29 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That just means you have to go more often.
If you buy two weeks worth instead of one that halves the frequency with which you need to go and it takes only a small amount of extra time.
Exactly, I've always tried to only go shopping twice a month as it takes about 3-4 hours and buying less won't really save me any time at all it would just mean I'd have to go shopping after work sometimes which I really don't feel like doing. Plus I tend to get half my shopping at Sam's Club so there's no option but to buy in bulk there. In fact my shopping habits meant I already had a bunch of toilet paper, sanitizers and cleaners before any of this happened so I never had to buy any when everyone else was trying to stockpile, if everyone had the same shopping habits as me there wouldn't be any shortages
Old Mar 29th 2020, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I am craving some ice cream, but I don't want to risk going to the store. I did try to see if instacart or skip the dishes could delivery but instacart has no delivery slots at all and skip only has McDonald's but they don't sell ice cream sealed in a container so not an option.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 10:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I am craving some ice cream,
I've had a craving for some sort of chocolate bar - Mars, Snickers or something - all weekend.

Through Instacart I have discovered there are more grocery type deliveries than I thought. Including M&Ms, which always looks horrendously expensive.

One of the Superstore places here is a 'wholesale' option. One of my wife's medical appointments was nearby so we used to call in but it was always a disappointment. It seems to have changed and it's available via Instacart. They do a bag of goat meat which I'm interested in.

Among the other delights though are things like Mars bars but they have to be bought by the case. But they'll happily do a single small bag of fun or bite size of the same thing.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 3:56 am
Devourer of Haribo

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Are you basing that on, the more you buy the longer it takes?

My own feeling is, going to the store is the biggest risk I face, so I'd rather minimize the number of times I do it. Once I'm there, I tend to scour the aisles to see what's available. But I also tend to go at 'quiet times' to avoid crowds, and unfortunately that's when the 'hard stuff' is already gone. I was at a Target store the other day and I missed the cleaning supplies by less than an hour. The lady said, "you need to get here earlier - people were queuing up for hours ..." so that's my personal dilemma (plus, I'm not an early bird by nature).
Yeah, in part....

I went shopping on Friday morning and got most of what I needed in Tesco. Some of it cost more because the Tesco own brand was out of stock, but I expected that. Then I went back into to town to Poundland, Poundstretcher and Tesco to get stuff I didn't think was essential in my first trip (biscuits and snacks) that my wife decided we could treat ourselves to.... I hadn't been down those aisles in my first trip.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 4:24 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, in part....

I went shopping on Friday morning and got most of what I needed in Tesco. Some of it cost more because the Tesco own brand was out of stock, but I expected that. Then I went back into to town to Poundland, Poundstretcher and Tesco to get stuff I didn't think was essential in my first trip (biscuits and snacks) that my wife decided we could treat ourselves to.... I hadn't been down those aisles in my first trip.
I panic bought Monster Munch. There. I said it.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 4:38 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, in part....

Similarly, Waitrose were completely out of Quail's eggs and Foie Gras.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 4:46 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Ooh, that's a lockdown I want to go to.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 7:26 am
Devourer of Haribo

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick with Farmhouse or Ardennes pate.....
Old Mar 30th 2020, 7:57 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

I can bung some in la poste...... Would you like some tripe as well?
Old Mar 30th 2020, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

By your own numbers, not all cases are resolved...... nor is there any proof that those "recovered" are not capable of infecting others. So, even in this "contained source" we await a test to prove the all-clear.
The 'resolved' bit referred to those who had mild cases ie not on the serious or critical list ..The 'proof' of those who have been officially declared well is surely in the testing they have had to undertake? This was a controlled group.under medical supervision.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter, who lives in another country, was greatly relieved that there is no threat to our supply of smoked salmon. So am I!
Old Mar 30th 2020, 11:33 am
Oscar nominated

I'll stick with Farmhouse or Ardennes pate.....
Oh don't...you just reminded me of the selection available in the UK...not just the types but I remember 'coarse' too.

All we get here is cognac, peppercorn or plain. Oh, sometimes some sort of duck thing. All dead smooth.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:48 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
ok Just thought that leaf litter might be the same as paper.. They have told us here that the virus can spread on your post .. envelopes ,parcels etc....
There's not really any conceivable way it could get on leaves unless someone was deliberately coughing on them or something, and you'd probably notice that. Leaf blowers are annoying, but they're not spreading disease.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I self examined my self just now and found a car steering wheel in my underpants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.