Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Is Lockdown Working For You

Is Lockdown Working For You

Old May 23rd 2020, 1:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I am. I think travel is just too risky to attempt to get back to New York. And that’s a one-way trip - I’m just amazed that people are starting to talk about going on foreign 2020 summer holidays, in other words, voluntarily subjecting themselves to a round-trip flight. Have they forgotten about all the people who were stranded abroad in March, when flights were cancelled? That’s not even mentioning the health risk.

And two-week quarantines all over the place. How can you even have a holiday under those circs?
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:53 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Sounds perfect. Just my sort of thing.
Places like that still exist - particularly in the Alentejo, but they are becoming rarer as time rolls on.........
I remember going to the "Tasca do Engenheiro" (literally the "eatery of the engineer") in Mourão, where the owner, an agronomist, decided to join us at our table and help himself to our food! (But the portions were so generous, it hardly matterred), but then had his own "special" wine brought to the table to share. His name was Basão and he was famous in the area, but as he explained he was "Basão mas sem Brasão!" (Basão but without a coat of arms!"). That was maybe 25 years ago, so yeah, a memorable night!
The other was the "Adega de Isaias" in Estremoz - a back-street eatery in a wine storeroom, where the meat was grilled over charcoal in the street outside. There I was introduced to "Asparagus soup", which was actually made with wild asparagus... more like samphire. it was simple and delicious - but SWMBO was shocked to see me eat a vegetable soup.... and even moreso when I ordered a repeat!

....and yes, those ARE truffles. They grow at the roots of the Rockrose (Cistus), supposedly, though I've never found any around mine (and I have a lot!)
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:54 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

And two-week quarantines all over the place. How can you even have a holiday under those circs?
Interesting response from the Portuguese government in response to the UK's quarantine announcement - they will seek to agree a "tourism corridor" which circumvents it.

I notice someone expert in the UK was saying it makes little sense on the part of the UK right now, since the concentration of Coronavirus is higher in the UK than many other countries at the moment.
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly, according to the Dorset Police, people should not attempt to visit Lulworth Cove OR Durdle Door.
Old May 23rd 2020, 2:00 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Interesting response from the Portuguese government in response to the UK's quarantine announcement - they will seek to agree a "tourism corridor" which circumvents it.

I notice someone expert in the UK was saying it makes little sense on the part of the UK right now, since the concentration of Coronavirus is higher in the UK than many other countries at the moment.
That's good news..... but maybe riskier for Portugal, which has a low infection rate, particularly in the South. Like robin1234 thinking about a return to the USA, I'm considering the chances of getting to join SWMBO in Portugal - but I'm not going to rush. I called off a return really early because I didn't want to be a vector.... and things really haven't improved much as yet.
Old May 23rd 2020, 2:05 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly, according to the Dorset Police, people should not attempt to visit Lulworth Cove OR Durdle Door.
But apparently Co. Durham is ok.
Old May 23rd 2020, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's called a Staycation I am waiting for Management to tell me to take my vacation time even though I cant go anywhere.
Old May 23rd 2020, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I tried once again to go for a hike on my favorite trail last night, but there were still too many cars at the trailhead for me to feel comfortable, so I decided that, for a change, I'd go for a walk around the lake in Fountain Hills (town next door). Now, Arizona has 'opened up', and oh boy, are people out there celebrating! With only a 'nod' to social distancing, three restaurants next to each other all had full patios, and there was a live band playing at one location. The weather was perfect, music was in the air, people were everywhere, and I must say - it felt magical! I realized this was my first sight of a 'normal evening' in over 2 months and despite my misgivings about the lack of concern for the virus, it did indeed feel good. I just walked around the lake and then up a side trail, and there were no people to contend with so I may start going here for some variety from now on. Boy, was it nice to see people out and about, and hear a live band playing outdoors!

Old May 23rd 2020, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

That evokes some memories circa 1959.

Three Amigos
Old May 23rd 2020, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
That evokes some memories circa 1959.

Three Amigos
Probably wearing ties!
Old May 23rd 2020, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Probably wearing ties!
No ties.

Old May 23rd 2020, 9:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No ties.

What year and where are they now?
Old May 23rd 2020, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
What year and where are they now?
The year 1959, We were unattached singles guys, within two years we were all Married, Colin on the right, I was his best man and he lives in Hampshire, Pete on the left got married while I was doing my National Service and I have never heard from him since. Pete was doing his N.S. at the time and had a cushy number it the war office, commuting every day, he didn't even have to wear a uniform. I'm in California, San Francisco bay area, since 1970, previously Seattle. WA.
Old May 23rd 2020, 10:33 pm
Resident Cynic

The year 1959, We were unattached singles guys, within two years we were all Married, Colin on the right, I was his best man and he lives in Hampshire, Pete on the left got married while I was doing my National Service and I have never heard from him since. Pete was doing his N.S. at the time and had a cushy number it the war office, commuting every day, he didn't even have to wear a uniform. I'm in California, San Francisco bay area, since 1970, previously Seattle. WA.
Dorset hasn't changed much.... except the traffic.
Given it has been one of the least affected parts of England during the pandemic, it's hardly surprising that the locals don't want to be inundated.
Unfortunately, like the woman who drove down from London and then complained on the TV about the number of visitors on the coast, some people seem to think they alone have the right to decide where they can go. When i did my weekly shop yesterday, there were easily three times as many cars on the road as last week - so the bank holiday will be interesting......
Old May 23rd 2020, 11:25 pm
Devourer of Haribo

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Shut that door, Everard.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.