Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Is Lockdown Working For You

Is Lockdown Working For You

Old Mar 26th 2020, 9:19 pm
  #46  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 8,262
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Phathamster View Post
Soon people will start fleeing NYC to the suburbs and it's spread will continue albeit at a slower pace,


Lots more cities to burn through in the USA, I just hope trump is finally starting to take it seriously, although with his continued open for Easter comments it's unlikely.
And when the F**k is Easter anyway?! It's not a regular 'thing' as far as I understand it (second tuesday after the ninth phase of the moon without clouds in the sky' or something). But Google is my friend - Sunday April 12 - just over two weeks away! No F**ing way should we be returning to normal then ...

Just looked up the definition - the above wasn't too far off, as it happens: Easter falls ... "between March 21 and April 25, on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the northern spring equinox.". Good One, Donald!
Steerpike is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2020, 9:31 pm
  #47  
Grove 4 Life
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 47,542
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
And when the F**k is Easter anyway?! It's not a regular 'thing' as far as I understand it (second tuesday after the ninth phase of the moon without clouds in the sky' or something). But Google is my friend - Sunday April 12 - just over two weeks away! No F**ing way should we be returning to normal then ...

Just looked up the definition - the above wasn't too far off, as it happens: Easter falls ... "between March 21 and April 25, on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the northern spring equinox.". Good One, Donald!
Good old liturgical calendar. Why make things easy, eh?

Oh yeah, and the Eastern Orthodox Easter is a week later because they use the Julian calendar and not the Gregorian . Apparently this isn't always one week later, but it is always later in the year because of this.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:00 pm
  #48  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 8,262
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Question about regional effectiveness of lockdowns, specific to the US / California / Bay Area.

I believe Johnwoo and Giantaxe are local to the Bay Area (CA) (and others, though I forget who off-hand). What's your sense of how seriously people are taking the current situation in the Bay Area? I have a love-hate relationship with the Bay Area (mostly love!) but if there's one thing I've always felt, it's that the people there are overall 'sensible'. We don't seem to have a 'Spring Breakers' mentality, and with a lot of high-tech jobs (and Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCSF ....) the natives seem somewhat above-average, education-wise. Anyway - would you say the locals are behaving as they should?

The reason I ask is, I'm stuck in AZ (Phoenix Metro / Scottsdale area) right now. AZ is also not a 'crazy teenager' state (it's not a Florida or New Orleans), but we do have a very pro-Trump Republican Governor (Doug Ducey) who seems more concerned about the economy than people's lives, and who has NOT yet issued any shelter-in-place orders. People are flocking to parks, nail salons, you name it (Just not bars and restaurants, as they have been closed down). AZ also has a definite 'libertarian' streak - no motorcycle helmets, open-carry weapons laws, etc, so I'm not convinced the natives are going to 'get it' until it's too late. Currently, the numbers are about even, once you adjust for population (cases reported as a fraction of overall population) which - given the MUCH reduced density of population here, isn't reassuring.

Anyway - just wondering if any fellow Bay Area dwellers have an opinion.
Steerpike is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2020, 11:52 pm
  #49  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 13,615
anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Phathamster View Post
Soon people will start fleeing NYC to the suburbs and it's spread will continue albeit at a slower pace,


Lots more cities to burn through in the USA, I just hope trump is finally starting to take it seriously, although with his continued open for Easter comments it's unlikely.
I heard it already left for the suburbs. There are people already infected that worked in Manhattan and had weekend homes outside the city, or commuted in.
anotherlimey is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2020, 12:40 am
  #50  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 8,262
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Question about regional effectiveness of lockdowns, specific to the US / California / Bay Area.

I believe Johnwoo and Giantaxe are local to the Bay Area (CA) (and others, though I forget who off-hand). What's your sense of how seriously people are taking the current situation in the Bay Area? I have a love-hate relationship with the Bay Area (mostly love!) but if there's one thing I've always felt, it's that the people there are overall 'sensible'. We don't seem to have a 'Spring Breakers' mentality, and with a lot of high-tech jobs (and Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCSF ....) the natives seem somewhat above-average, education-wise. Anyway - would you say the locals are behaving as they should?

The reason I ask is, I'm stuck in AZ (Phoenix Metro / Scottsdale area) right now. AZ is also not a 'crazy teenager' state (it's not a Florida or New Orleans), but we do have a very pro-Trump Republican Governor (Doug Ducey) who seems more concerned about the economy than people's lives, and who has NOT yet issued any shelter-in-place orders. People are flocking to parks, nail salons, you name it (Just not bars and restaurants, as they have been closed down). AZ also has a definite 'libertarian' streak - no motorcycle helmets, open-carry weapons laws, etc, so I'm not convinced the natives are going to 'get it' until it's too late. Currently, the numbers are about even, once you adjust for population (cases reported as a fraction of overall population) which - given the MUCH reduced density of population here, isn't reassuring.

Anyway - just wondering if any fellow Bay Area dwellers have an opinion.
Following on from my original post - just saw this article about the Bay Area; certainly suggests they are taking it seriously there!
https://www.politico.com/states/cali...wether-1269032
Steerpike is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2020, 4:51 am
  #51  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,739
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

The border restrictions are causing illicit drugs to be in short supply, the government will apparently supply some addicts with pharmaceutical grade drugs, makes sense the last thing the hospitals need are drug addicts ending up admitted in withdrawal. Plus people addicted to drugs become desperate when needing their fix and leads to other problems like increased crime.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2020, 5:32 am
  #52  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 35,429
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Day Two:
We both live.
BEVS is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2020, 7:18 pm
  #53  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 7,098
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

SWMBO and I have been swapping experiences between the back of nowhere here in the UK and the "cu de judas" in Portugal.
Both good and bad things - still no news on my 84 year old neighbour here, but my neighbour in Portugal just called SWMBO (while we were VoIPing!) to offer some Eggs, Cabbage and Coriander, that staple of Portuguese cuisine. All fresh from her garden (and chickens, of course). So they'll meet at the "border" and negotiate the trade.
I went shoppping of Wednesday, she this morning...... she found her experience "stressful" but it sounded better than mine!

Still both kicking.
macliam is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2020, 10:25 pm
  #54  
BE Forum Addict
 
johnwoo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,051
johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Following on from my original post - just saw this article about the Bay Area; certainly suggests they are taking it seriously there!
https://www.politico.com/states/cali...wether-1269032
I've been outside three since the lock down, to the pharmacy and grocery store (Safeway and Costco). My Neighbors, mostly a mix retired and Hi tech workers are staying indoors and working from home. The side streets are deserted the schools are closed, surprisingly the Freeway is quite busy but nowhere near the normal traffic.
I see the occasional walker, walking the dog seems to have gain more popularity. I'd say generally the lock down is being intelligently observed. The greatest congregation of people is undoubtedly the grocery stores. Definitely the acquisition of towel rolls and toilet paper has become some sort of obsession here like everywhere else.
johnwoo is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 2:48 am
  #55  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,212
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Following on from my original post - just saw this article about the Bay Area; certainly suggests they are taking it seriously there!
https://www.politico.com/states/cali...wether-1269032
That's a good summary of where I feel we are. At the time, I thought the shelter in place order - as, noted, the first in the country - was slightly premature. But given what's subsequently happened in NYC, New Orleans etc I've changed my mind on that one. It seems to be pretty well observed, with the exception of how everyone piled to beaches last weekend, prompting parking lots at many to be closed. Car access to every park in Marin, plus many in the East Bay has been halted. Plus many parks are now completely closed. Personally, we haven't needed to venture out to a supermarket yet and have been getting fresh foods delivered directly from a couple of farms north of San Francisco and by visiting a local farmer's market. The latter seems like it's less of a disease vector than supermarkets, but I don't know whether thee's anything to back up that rationale.
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 3:11 am
  #56  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,739
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Lock down would work better if I could get an online order slot at the grocery store, I check 2-3 times an hour to see if any spot has become available. Really want to avoid having to go in person. We live in a not so good area and the homeless/addicts are high numbers and they are not social isolating since most have nowhere to go, and doubt they have the best hygiene either, and most smoke and cough like crazy, and oh and they typically wont stay 6 feet away or more, so really trying to not have to go into the store.

More entertainment options would be nice, youtube is only so fun, internet gets tiring, but TV nothing ever on really since most shows stopped production.

The first week wasn't do bad, but this week was rough, the dog hates it too and becomes more annoying by the day, and being stuck with a spouse in such a small space, we are both annoying one another and that isn't helping things.

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 4:25 am
  #57  
You aint seen me, right?
 
SpoogleDrummer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: US of A, TN
Posts: 2,680
SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Lock down would work better if I could get an online order slot at the grocery store, I check 2-3 times an hour to see if any spot has become available. Really want to avoid having to go in person. We live in a not so good area and the homeless/addicts are high numbers and they are not social isolating since most have nowhere to go, and doubt they have the best hygiene either, and most smoke and cough like crazy, and oh and they typically wont stay 6 feet away or more, so really trying to not have to go into the store.

More entertainment options would be nice, youtube is only so fun, internet gets tiring, but TV nothing ever on really since most shows stopped production.

The first week wasn't do bad, but this week was rough, the dog hates it too and becomes more annoying by the day, and being stuck with a spouse in such a small space, we are both annoying one another and that isn't helping things.
Have you checked at midnight? I found yesterday that I saw available slots when they opened up the bookings for the next day.
SpoogleDrummer is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 4:54 am
  #58  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 8,262
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Lock down would work better if I could get an online order slot at the grocery store, I check 2-3 times an hour to see if any spot has become available. Really want to avoid having to go in person. We live in a not so good area and the homeless/addicts are high numbers and they are not social isolating since most have nowhere to go, and doubt they have the best hygiene either, and most smoke and cough like crazy, and oh and they typically wont stay 6 feet away or more, so really trying to not have to go into the store.

More entertainment options would be nice, youtube is only so fun, internet gets tiring, but TV nothing ever on really since most shows stopped production.

The first week wasn't do bad, but this week was rough, the dog hates it too and becomes more annoying by the day, and being stuck with a spouse in such a small space, we are both annoying one another and that isn't helping things.
What annoys me is, online inventory is never accurate. For the 'n'th time yesterday, I checked something scarce (a cleaning product) at my local Target and it showed >10 in stock, and even gave me the aisle number. I went there at 8pm - almost empty, no crowds - but there was no product there. I realize this is a hard nut to crack now, with shit arriving and flying off the shelves, but I would have (naively) thought that a box coming off a truck would be scanned, and that would translate to a quantity, and every Point Of Sale transaction would decrement that counter ... .

Also - and this would be a much, much bigger benefit - why can't stores offer reservations on scarce products? They could use their 'loyalty cards' that many people already have (and would fall over themselves to get if it gave them this benefit!) to let you reserve something online, then go get it. So - I have a costco card; I log on to costco.com, and reserve a bag of bog roll. I go to get it the next day and that 'satisfies' my reservation. Only allow bog roll to be sold with a reservation. Same for any scarce product. Lots of details would need to be worked out but could be a big benefit. But I guess, while half the country is getting laid off, grocery stores are not one of them so they may be too busy to implement stuff like this right now.
Steerpike is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:19 am
  #59  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,739
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
What annoys me is, online inventory is never accurate. For the 'n'th time yesterday, I checked something scarce (a cleaning product) at my local Target and it showed >10 in stock, and even gave me the aisle number. I went there at 8pm - almost empty, no crowds - but there was no product there. I realize this is a hard nut to crack now, with shit arriving and flying off the shelves, but I would have (naively) thought that a box coming off a truck would be scanned, and that would translate to a quantity, and every Point Of Sale transaction would decrement that counter ... .

Also - and this would be a much, much bigger benefit - why can't stores offer reservations on scarce products? They could use their 'loyalty cards' that many people already have (and would fall over themselves to get if it gave them this benefit!) to let you reserve something online, then go get it. So - I have a costco card; I log on to costco.com, and reserve a bag of bog roll. I go to get it the next day and that 'satisfies' my reservation. Only allow bog roll to be sold with a reservation. Same for any scarce product. Lots of details would need to be worked out but could be a big benefit. But I guess, while half the country is getting laid off, grocery stores are not one of them so they may be too busy to implement stuff like this right now.
Yeah online inventory systems seem to suck big time at most retailers, unless it says 40+ I don't bother, although once it said 2,546 and they still apparently didn't have any, so its something stores seem to be unable to figure out. Amazon seems better, but once in a blue moon I have ordered something that says 5 in stock, and they took the order, charged the card, and then 2-3 days later email saying they don't have it in stock, and refunded the card, but its not common with Amazon in my experience.



Hotel del Coronado is temporarily closing, its a historic hotel on the beach in Coronado across the bay from San Diego, first time apparently in 132 years its closed.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-time/2293476/
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 8:10 am
  #60  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 7,098
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Hotel del Coronado is temporarily closing, its a historic hotel on the beach in Coronado across the bay from San Diego, first time apparently in 132 years its closed.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-time/2293476/
There's a lot of "historic firsts" happening due to this crisis. It's not something we'll forget in a hurry, whatever the eventual outcome.

I've been out once in the last week.... just my shopping expedition. But looking at the lawn and thinking it needs a trim.... and I have enough time now to do it with nail clippers!! My neighbours have been just as quiet..... just enough signs of life to stop me thinking the worst. I really miss my dogs to give me structure in life - I always was a night owl, but now I'm nocturnal. Hard to cut the lawn at night........
macliam is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.